Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

54 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Where do you expect us to get to in season one?

17th would be an achievement. To give ourselves the best possible chance of reaching those heady heights continuity will be vital. We should keep Bruce because he's an ok manager, as in we could do a lot worse, and he will know the squad, club, board, fans, pressure and everything that goes with it. 

I think we might have taken Wyness a bit too literally when he said "one team to get us up, one to keep us up..." etc. I'd be looking to make 5-6 signings max, that being on top of Snodgrass and Johnstone. 

I was thinking about this as well. Assuming this team stays gelled it might be worth extending a couple of the older players for one more year. This is the first genuinely good team, as in an actual team spirit we have had in many years. Better to limit the change as much as seems sensible. A top to bottom sort out and the chaos that brings could relegate us again in short order.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Cattermole and Larsson were crap Premier League players that were given juicy contracts. Gyan was pretty poor for a club record player and dont think he could play with Bent. Bent was only big money signing he made that was good. Bentdner was there I doubt he was cheap and Lorik Cana was another flop under him

Cattermole was.supposedly being eyed up by bigger clubs than Sunderland and was being touted for an England cap after his season at Wigan.

Larsson was a free transfer.

Lorik Cana cost £5m and was captain. They sold him for £4m to Galatasaray and he went on to play for Lazio too.

Asamoah Gyan looked like a handy player but was clearly an absolute whopper. That said, they got half the transfer fee back just from his loan fee to Al Ain. I don't know what his final transfer fee to them was though.

Bent was a superb signing.

Bendtner wasn't expensive - he was there on loan for one season.

• Like 2

How about when bruce was at blose he did well there and kept them up a few times with a relatively poor squad. My ideal scenerio would be bruce takes us up, Southgate gets sacked then bruce becomes England manager. Then I would try get Wagner from huddesfield

To be honest I am not even thinking of the PL. We are going to go on a bad run this season. Just a question of how many games that is. More than 3 games and we can kiss goodbye to promotion. I know it's a cliché but all the best teams take it a game at a time. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Impossible, you can't go from finishing 2nd in the Championship to breaking the PL top 6 in a season.

It's going to take at least 5 years to be in a position to even challenge the top 6, this isn't FIFA.

Looking at the resources of the top 6, I'd say it would never happen.

I guess Burnley in 7th is a target but from 7th-20th is pretty much a relegation battle!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It is actually pointless going up as will be back where we started

Championship much more enjoyable

It is but we need to be in premier league as unfair as it is. I know it's uncompetitive but at least over the years its spread from a top one (united) to a top four now a top 6.

Look at Scotland and France those leagues are terrible for competitiveness 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It is but we need to be in premier league as unfair as it is. I know it's uncompetitive but at least over the years its spread from a top one (united) to a top four now a top 6.

Look at Scotland and France those leagues are terrible for competitiveness 

13 point lead just after January is worse than Scotand at the moment, even the gap from 6th to 7th is higher than Celtic lead at top of league

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

13 point lead just after January is worse than Scotand at the moment, even the gap from 6th to 7th is higher than Celtic lead at top of league

How many titles have Celtic run in a row? How many have city? You can't seriously be suggesting Scotland league is more competitive than England's?

Just now, Demitri_C said:

How many titles have Celtic run in a row? How many have city? You can't seriously be suggesting Scotland league is more competitive than England's?

nobody has said that. i just said Premier League is as competitive for teams like us

• Like 1

2 hours ago, holteend1982 said:

Man city, man utd, spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, arsenal. That's your top 6 they've all spent 100s of millions all have absolute quality squads and you want to break into it with our first season back in the league. Talk about being unrealistic/delusional, first season back is all about stability and staying up not sacking managers because we won't be challenging man city. 

Ridiculous post that blows everything out of context.

Delusional haha. Where's your reading glasses? I never said we WILL break? I said AIM. - Don't mean it will happen or that we even will but to aim too.

I also never mentioned anything about Challenging Man City for first either.

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Where do you expect us to get to in season one?

17th would be an achievement. To give ourselves the best possible chance of reaching those heady heights continuity will be vital. We should keep Bruce because he's an ok manager, as in we could do a lot worse, and he will know the squad, club, board, fans, pressure and everything that goes with it. 

Depends on the manager DDID.

Keeping Bruce I agree 17th will be very very good imo. - Anything above 17th will be a remarkable achievement.

Just to touch on pressure, he was feeling it with us in October/December. I just worry will he cope with the fans and the pressure in the PL the minute results dip.  I don't think he will.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

It is actually pointless going up as will be back where we started

Championship much more enjoyable

It might be an unpopular opinion but I'm not even sure I want to be back struggling in the Premier League. Scraping survival every year. 

I mean I'm probably just jaded after the post MON years but I actually like the thought of being favourites to win games at the minute. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Xela said:

It might be an unpopular opinion but I'm not even sure I want to be back struggling in the Premier League. Scraping survival every year. 

I mean I'm probably just jaded after the post MON years but I actually like the thought of being favourites to win games at the minute. 

I just like winning games for a change :D

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Depends on the manager DDID.

Keeping Bruce I agree 17th will be very very good imo. - Anything above 17th will be a remarkable achievement.

Just to touch on pressure, he was feeling it with us in October/December. I just worry will he cope with the fans and the pressure in the PL the minute results dip.  I don't think he will.

Hmmmm...

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of setting the bar high. We also need to introduce a little realism into the mix. 

IF we do go up, especially automatically, we will have a squad used to winning. We will need to add more quality to that for sure and that will cost money. We will also need the board to step up and not let ANY manager have total control over signings, it can't work the way at the top level anymore. Unless you want to be Burnley. 

So in keeping the core of the squad together, perhaps even the entire spine, we will want continuity off the pitch too. Introducing a new manager straight off the bat, with new ideas and potentially an entire new coaching team would be potentially suicidal. 

Yes, it might mean we finish 10th instead. What purpose that would serve us I do not know, because it might also mean we finish 20th and off we go again. 

IF we go up, Bruce will offer us our best chance of survival. Which is all the will matter. 

27 minutes ago, Xela said:

Wouldn't you rather us have long term ambitions to win games regularly in the top flight? 

It's the accepting that it's a long way back people seem to struggle with, which is understandable. Cheers Randy. 

• Like 1

Â