Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, rubberman said:

The bold is true, but xG isn't a forecast / prediction, it's an analysis of what happened in games compared to 1000s of other games.  All our graph shows is that for the season to date we should have gained more points given the chances we've created vs each team.  ie we should have converted more of those chances.  Conversely, Derby have gained more point than would be expected from the chances they've created in those matches. 

The only forecast you can make from that is that we are underperforming and may get better as the graphs get closer over a longer sample period and that Derby may get worse - but equally, both sides may continue to perform in the same way.  xG is derived from averages and to get those there will always be teams above and below average IYSWIM.

As ever there is a balance. You should never rely on stats completely as we have seen ourselves. However, to just dismiss them is very stubborn and backward thinking. If we as a club thought like that, which thankfully we dont, we would be in league 1 in a few years time. 

21 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I said in the summer I was happy to write off last season for varying reasons. So for me the '15 month' angle doesn't really fit, it seems like a bit of a red herring. He walked into a very difficult situation and has in two transfer windows fully flipped the squad on it's head, completed the rebuild if you like. That's not to say I wasn't disappointed with the events of last season, only that I got over it fast. 

So taking him on this season alone and the current position we find ourselves in I can only come to the conclusion he is doing 'OK'.

I'd rather be doing better, the football has at times slipped from being workmanlike to turgid and he has made a couple of absurd tactical errors. By the same token I have genuinely enjoyed watching us at times, for extended periods and for the first time in years, and on top of this we are within striking distance of automatic promotion with several key players coming back from injury. You can say he had the squad to cope better with the injuries than he did and to a degree I agree, but that doesn't mean that having John Terry, Mile Jedinak, Jack Grealish, Andre Green and Henri Lansbury available again won't improve us. 

If having those players come back in does improve us, if only by a few percentage points, then it's not unreasonable to suggest we are comfortable favourites for 2nd. If we win promotion all of this waffle about style of play becomes insignificant. 

Very good post.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

And the next season he would have overseen their relegation, had he remained in place.

So how do you account for that alongside the success?

I don't think they would have been relegated under Ranieri. They were one point outside the relegation zone when he was sacked with around 1/3 of the season left to play. There was plenty of time for him to turn things around and finish the season respectably.

I think after they became Champions, he wasn't able to get them motivated in the same way he was able to the previous season to sustain what they achieved or take them any further. There are lots of examples of much stronger teams falling off a cliff after winning a title and I think that's basically what happened to Leicester after they won the Premier League.

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Just for the record guys, Saturday will be SB's 850th match in charge as a football manager.

That's on top of hundreds of appearances as a player.

You can debate his 'style' all day long but you cannot debate his experience.

For a balanced view

How many trophies has he won?

whats his win %?

Possesion %?

Our of completed seasons how nany if them gave been successful ones? (considering clubs expectancy, nett spend..... and all the other b*ll*x)

Balanced View Out

Football is not actually that interesting. Most games are pretty boring, especially in the Championship. Even watching Wolves is nothing special, they just have players that do something from nothing. They actually score a lot of big goals from set pieces. 

I get being bored when going to games but as long we win does it matter? 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

For a balanced view

How many trophies has he won?

whats his win %?

Possesion %?

Our of completed seasons how nany if them gave been successful ones? (considering clubs expectancy, nett spend..... and all the other b*ll*x)

Balanced View Out

2 x Football league championship runner-up 

2 x Playoff winner

1 x FA Cup runner-up

38.2% win ratio as a manager. 44.6% as Villa manager so far. 

I have absolutely no idea what his possession % is over his career but we are sitting at 49.8% this season. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

2 x Football league championship runner-up 

2 x Playoff winner

1 x FA Cup runner-up

38.2% win ratio as a manager. 44.6% as Villa manager so far. 

I have absolutely no idea what his possession % is over his career but we are sitting at 49.8% this season. 

I wouldn't even bother, save your energy for better use.

What's even more hilarious is he thinks he's providing a "balanced view". I doubt he even knows what that term means.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

53 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

PS player record is of no significance

ie Fergie was shit as a footballer

Jose wasnt even one

neither was Warnock

Fergie, Mourinho... WARNOCK?! 

:crylaugh:  

No wonder nobody takes your posts seriously! :lol: 

..Or have I missed the sarcasm again

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

'Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, Or to take arms against a sea of troubles, And by opposing end them'.

Alright Randy bugger off back to your interior design business. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Fergie, Mourinho... WARNOCK?! 

:crylaugh:  

No wonder nobody takes your posts seriously! :lol: 

..Or have I missed the sarcasm again

That's unfair in my view - GH has his views which he is entitled to - and I for one believe he posts a lot of sense 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Â