Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don't think there are many teams in the championship playing scintillating football week in - week out.

This is an important point too.

Again it doesn't excuse SOME of the football we've seen this season. As it has been poor at times.

But I think people fail to adjust for the league we're in. You rarely see great football in this league. Hell you rarely see good football in the Premier League outside of the top 6-8 clubs.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

I don't really see Guardiola as a manager who could have achieved the same at Leicester as what Ranieri did.

Leicester's squad were no better than average and Ranieri transformed them into world beaters.

Assuming you haven't got a hidden talent for being a manager you might be able to get a 50% record or more managing Barcelona against Leicester under Ranieri if the matches were one-offs. Over a full season when other factors come into play it would be a different story.

And the next season he would have overseen their relegation, had he remained in place.

So how do you account for that alongside the success?

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Again it doesn't excuse SOME of the football we've seen this season. As it has been poor at times.

But I think people fail to adjust for the league we're in. You rarely see great football in this league. Hell you rarely see good football in the Premier League outside of the top 6-8 clubs.

And even then, it's not always great.

Many a time I've settled down on the sofa for a mouth-watering 'Super Sunday' match, an Arsenal vs Chelsea or something and it's turned out to be a drab 0-0 draw.

Football is unpredictable, it's why this expected goals shit is nonsense, if there was a formula out there it would have been exploited by now and the bookies would be out of business, as it is, they're thriving, because of the unpredictable nature of sport, football particularly it would seem.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This is the point though. The standard is pretty poor in the Champ. We definitely have one of the best squads along with Wolves. Only Boro come close. I have not been impressed with any side apart from Wolves. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

I actually think these runs were really useful in the last game, he instantly pulled a midfielder out of play to track him and panicked their center back and full back. 9 times out of 10 we either won't see the run or he won't manage to bring the ball down if played to him, but it creates space in the midfield for players like Grealish to receive the ball and have some time on it.

That's a fair point if Grealish receives the ball but 9 times out of 10 it would be played speculatively in Hourihane's direction from either Elphick or Elmohamady. It may then get knocked back into the space from the defender into Grealish's path, but that's the kind of percentage football that can only get you so far. 

Our central midfielders need to be a lot more pro-active in looking for the ball off the defenders, making angles for them to have an easy option. When they do get it they invariably play it straight back to the defender rather than turning and facing. Grealish is alone in doing that. I'd also like to see the centre-backs step into the space in front of them more when the opportunity arises. Elphick had an opportunity against Bristol City and sort of half went then started flapping like a startled goose for support from Elmohamady when all he had to do was advance 10 yards and play a simple ball to a midfielder. Maybe that's confidence or lack of encouragement to do so, I don't know.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

And even then, it's not always great.

Many a time I've settled down on the sofa for a mouth-watering 'Super Sunday' match, an Arsenal vs Chelsea or something and it's turned out to be a drab 0-0 draw.

Football is unpredictable, it's why this expected goals shit is nonsense, if there was a formula out there it would have been exploited by now and the bookies would be out of business, as it is, they're thriving, because of the unpredictable nature of sport, football particularly it would seem.

End of the day - one of the best squads + poor league + biggest club + supposedly one of the best managers = top 2 and consistency. Yes we have had injuries but the side every game has been more than good enough to get results. I am hoping the Bristol City game is a sign of things to come. I don't expect that every game but I expect us to be brave and ambitious in our play. I think most will agree that has not been the case under Bruce over the last 15 months or so. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I think whichever way you define it, we don't do it that much.

It's just the go to criticism on here about Bruce if all else fails. There's not actually much truth to it.

Whichever way you prefer to dress it up - we remain boring and tedious to watch.

• Like 1

So after the last 2 results it looks very much like a stay of execution for mr Bruce-ball.

yey da f****** yey whoop de f****** whoo

Still, be careful what you wish for eh?

With Moyes & Puel doing well, Jokovic bitching again at Fulham, we‘ve really missed the boat sticking rather than twisting.

When it appears that we‘re back on track again only for Bruce to f*** it up again it‘ll be self protect mode and excuses galore.

Keeping Bruce is too much like Russian roulette for my liking. Our forward thinking players (CH JG AA RS & SH) who did more than a good job against a tired out Bristol City side will either be reigned in again or a less fatigued team will show us up for what we are, a slow unimaginative team who are set up scared to lose.

If Bruce would only just let them loose he could take some credit (from me and a few other realists on VT) for the results that may even get us 2nd - because we HAVE the players AND enough of them as a squad when used correctly - If we somehow get to the playoffs but lose out, there will be no comfort in a „nearly got it right scrape-through“. It‘ll be a whole new ball game next season with a somewhat reduced squad and budget.

I shudder at the thought

Bruce Out

Edited by Grasshopper

I don't know what Bruce tells Elmohamady, but he can at least say to him, that we want a bit og variation in his game. When ever he gets the ball he justs hoofs it up along the sideline and hopes somebody gets to it, it's f*****g annoting to watch...

53 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Whichever way you prefer to dress it up - we remain boring and tedious to watch.

In your opinion.

In my opinion we're often not boring to watch.

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

In your opinion.

In my opinion we're often not boring to watch.

And in my opinion too, I love watching us win. This has been our best season for years in terms of games won. We’re in the Championship thefootball isn’t always going to be scintillating. 

Edited by alreadyexists

1 hour ago, Taxahunter said:

I don't know what Bruce tells Elmohamady, but he can at least say to him, that we want a bit og variation in his game. When ever he gets the ball he justs hoofs it up along the sideline and hopes somebody gets to it, it's f*****g annoting to watch...

You are not allowed to say we hoof it

An aimless pass to no-one or to a player that has no chance of getting it is effectively a hoof

A hoof is a hoof however medium or long the attempt is.

It isn't always going to be scintillating, of course, but it should be of a higher quality more consistently than it currently is.

It seems to be the trend that teams that build for the longterm and have the approach of playing good quality football are the ones that not only get promoted, but remain in the Premier League beyond their first season after promotion. I'm talking about Bournemouth, Brighton, Southampton when they came up (though admittedly my memory is foggy on their style since it was a few years back since they got promoted), and it seems Wolves are following suit.

I think that's the only way we're going to not only get into the Premier League, but stay there, and for that we need a coach with the same philosophy. Steve Bruce is not that man, in my opinion.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

And in my opinion too, I love watching us win. This has been our best season for years in terms of games won. We’re in the Championship thefootball isn’t always going to be scintillating. 

I must say that I have loved this season so far. It's the most I have been invested in the team since probably Lambert's first season. I love winning games end of the day and we have done that more often than not. It's just frustrating to see the quality we have and it not being shown week in and week out. Apart from Kodjia we will pretty much have a fully fit squad going forward and a chance to get 1 or 2 in on loan. We are in a good position and if at the end of the season we don't get promoted then I don't want to hear anything about injuries as it will be our own fault if we don't make it count from now until the end of the season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I must say that I have loved this season so far. It's the most I have been invested in the team since probably Lambert's first season. I love winning games end of the day and we have done that more often than not. It's just frustrating to see the quality we have and it not being shown week in and week out. Apart from Kodjia we will pretty much have a fully fit squad going forward and a chance to get 1 or 2 in on loan. We are in a good position and if at the end of the season we don't get promoted then I don't want to hear anything about injuries as it will be our own fault if we don't make it count from now until the end of the season.

Its not completely true, we have won 12 in the league and played 14 where we havent won, so actually we have won less often than not.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Its not completely true, we have won 12 in the league and played 14 where we havent won, so actually we have won less often than not.

Dont let facts get in the way though

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

You are not allowed to say we hoof it

An aimless pass to no-one or to a player that has no chance of getting it is effectively a hoof

A hoof is a hoof however medium or long the attempt is.

Who said you're not allowed to say it?

Nobody has said we DON'T hoof it. What people have said is that we don't hoof it anywhere near as much as posters like you make out that we do. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Mine too.   I was responding to a post that said unequivocally, that date proved we do not hoof.  Are you saying that someone has proven that our long kicks past the midfield are delivered to a desired destination to a pre-determined player?   And therefore we uniquvocally do not “hoof” the ball by the definition you give?   

I must have missed that post.   

No, No, i just think someone else has mentioned something similar to what I wrote.

FWIW.....I don't think our manager or coaches instigate hoof ball, its just a natural instinct of a player, not playing particularly well, or the team not playing well.

I hate it, but sometimes necessity dictates.....until you get a foothold in the game.

I accept "hoofball" for what it is,a temporary and reluctant fix to clearing your lines until a more composed brand of football is found within the team.

Â