Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

15 minutes ago, terrytini said:

On the bright side we played decent for half hour. I'm convinced Bruce COULD do a great job. He's bought well.

But we just don't go for the kill. Yes in today's game we created chances but the overall story was the same as so many other games. So often only one or two up. Opposition allowed to get back into game.

Surely it's no good him just saying "this keeps happening" he has to look at how webapproach games.

His in-game management is a bit of an issue for me. I think his initial approach to games is ok, we generally seem to start quite well and in the front foot. We were bright and energetic from the off today. 

His changes were too late and a bit odd for me. I'm not sure how much of a part the condition of some played, but I thought the obvious choice was Green for Gabby and Hourihane for Bacuna (or Wheelan, neither were great tbh). 

He didn't do enough, early enough, to get get us back on top.  

• Like 3

he did nothing today to convince the Bruce out brigade and arguably bringing on Samba as a forward to hoof too probably added a few more members to the out camp.

im concerned , Whelan doesn't have the legs for this and our back 4 is inadequately equipped to deal with pace  ... yes we should have won this game comfortably but the second half showed why we won't be going up this season , unless he can address the short comings 

yeah , 1 game is a bit early to write us off , but in all honesty it just looked like more of same old same old 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, skarroki said:

We have 45 games left of the season and this was the first game against an unknown quantity in Hull today, which we didn't even lose. 

I don't think it's fair to say he hasn't learned anything until the end of august. Get through a few games and see if we were just unlucky today or whether there is anything to seriously worry about. 

He had the right idea in my view, we had 2 chances that should have been finished late on in the game and should have been out of sight in the first half hour. The players out on that pitch had the quality to win the game, and the way we played first half clearly shows they were set up to be on the front foot. 

I disagree. But life would be boring if we all agreed. :) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

His in-game management is a bit of an issue for me. I think his initial approach to games is ok, we generally seem to start quite well and in the front foot. We were bright and energetic from the off today. 

His changes were too late and a bit odd for me. I'm not sure how much of a part the condition of some played, but I thought the obvious choice was Green for Gabby and Hourihane for Bacuna (or Wheelan, neither were great tbh). 

He didn't do enough, early enough, to get get us back on top.  

Agree with this. Round pegs in round holes. Todays subs all required players moving around to much, those already playing to move position. His changes were too late and should have made the obvious choices Green for Gabby and Hourihane for Bacuna, then try the weird Samba thing, which I thought made us look very desperate and out of ideas.

Edited by honest_bertie
  • Like 2

My concern is the team selection. Hogan was marooned at times and had to try and make his own chances. Why Hourihane is not playing but Bacuna, who has been woeful for 2 seasons and clearly doesn't care, gets a game is worrying. Gabby did ok but we looked far more dangerous with an actual winger on the wing. Gabby should start on the bench then replace Hogan towards the end of a game.

I don't think we need Hutton and Elmohamady down the right side, especially in a home game and hopefully Onomah will start to get game time sooner rather than later.

Whelan is a concern as well. With our slow defence we need pace in the DM position. Hmmm.

9 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

he did nothing today to convince the Bruce out brigade and arguably bringing on Samba as a forward to hoof too probably added a few more members to the out camp.

im concerned , Whelan doesn't have the legs for this and our back 4 is inadequately equipped to deal with pace  ... yes we should have won this game comfortably but the second half showed why we won't be going up this season , unless he can address the short comings 

yeah , 1 game is a bit early to write us off , but in all honesty it just looked like more of same old same old 

It certainly was a sobering performance in a few ways. I'm not concerned as such, because I still think if you're creating 4/5 decent chances in 35 mins of football, then you're not a million miles away. 

It was so close today. We got the early goal, tails were up, we just needed that 2nd to push us on. If Hogan gets one of his chances, I think it's a fair shout to say we'd probably have gone on and won, possibly comfortably. 

We let teams back in, then we see a bit of the old fragile Villa, then I worry about Bruce's ability to react. If we can sort the first bit out, we won't need to worry about the rest. 

Was thinking earlier today, " if we don't win this - and probably even if we do - the knives will be out for Bruce tonight."

And so they are. 

Really, guys, this culture of assassinating the manager has to stop. Where do you think it's going to lead us?

• Like 1

Just now, briny_ear said:

Was thinking earlier today, " if we don't win this - and probably even if we do - the knives will be out for Bruce tonight."

And so they are. 

Really, guys, this culture of assassinating the manager has to stop. Where do you think it's going to lead us?

Further than Steve Bruce will.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

And so they are. 

With you all the way Briny but It's fair to say he doesn't help himself at times. Bacuna was always asking for trouble in that regard for instance. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VILLAMARV said:

With you all the way Briny but It's fair to say he doesn't help himself at times. Bacuna was always asking for trouble in that regard for instance. 

Not helping himself sums today up nicely to be honest.

The first half was a very good performance and on another day we could have been 2 or 3 goals up. The forwards need to start taking more of their chances as opponents are always going to get a chance or two and they normally score them.

Didn't get to see the second half but it seems it may have been a little like last year. Bruce needs to get it sorted very, very, quickly, or it will be the owner who will be wanting him out and not just a minority of the fans.

1 minute ago, VILLAMARV said:

Well I do agree picking Bacuna was a bit strange and helped to blunt our attacking cutting edge many times in the first half, when we really should have killed them off. But I think we should cut SB a little bit of slack and maybe not sack him until after, say, 3 games? ;)

10 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

And so they are. 

Where do you think ignoring the problems will take us?

• Like 3

Just now, briny_ear said:

Well I do agree picking Bacuna was a bit strange and helped to blunt our attacking cutting edge many times in the first half, when we really should have killed them off. But I think we should cut SB a little bit of slack and maybe not sack him until after, say, 3 games? ;)

People aren't calling for his head.

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

Same old Villa, for me. A 1-1 draw was just so predictable. I'd sack him tomorrow if there was a more attack minded replacement lined up.

No-one is calling for him to be sacked? Oh, right, my bad.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Haha 1

Â