Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

I think JV was a bit tongue in cheek ?

He did seem a bit like a resident of an old folks home woken up in mid afternoon for a chat !:)

Im sure he is as fired up as any of us ..nearly time !!

Yes, that beginning bit when he just kept saying 'young ones' over and over, did remind me a bit of conversations I used to have with my slightly senile Grandad! 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I think JV was a bit tongue in cheek ?

He did seem a bit like a resident of an old folks home woken up in mid afternoon for a chat !:)

Im sure he is as fired up as any of us ..nearly time !!

@Mjvilla i'm one of the most balanced when it comes to "getting at anyone" at the club.

I was only half serious, I thought it was kinda funny and more viewed it as probably being tired of answering the same cliche questions over and over.

However yes, he would probably rather be working with the squad, making plans for the season, working on transfers etc?

25 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

@Mjvilla i'm one of the most balanced when it comes to "getting at anyone" at the club.

I was only half serious, I thought it was kinda funny and more viewed it as probably being tired of answering the same cliche questions over and over.

However yes, he would probably rather be working with the squad, making plans for the season, working on transfers etc?

My apologies JV. I agree you are pretty balanced. Think it must be my time of the month! :blush:

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

People used to say that bloke who managed Hull was destined for big things. But then he did his half-time talk on the pitch in front of fans and it was the beginning of the end. 

I loved that team talk!

Interesting. :suspect:

Aston Villa have “spiralled out of control” financially, said Steve Bruce as he spoke of the irritation at having his hands tied in the summer transfer market. The manager has encountered restrictions owing to financial fair play, which he says the club are “on the cusp” of failing, and suggested he was not made fully aware of the situation when he accepted the job last October.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/03/aston-villa-steve-bruce-financial-fair-play

On 02/08/2017 at 07:42, markavfc40 said:

Ahe? In January Hourihane, Lansbury, Bree were brought in for pretty much what we sold Gestede for, Taylor was swapped for Ayew with cash also coming our way. The big outlay was Hogan at around 12 mill.

Over the summer we have made a decent profit due to selling Baker, Veretout and Sanchez bringing in approx 12 mill and spending around 2.5 mill bringing in Elmohamady and Whelan.

Overall I’d say Bruce has balanced the books and is therefore not even close to being the most well backed manager in this league never mind better backed than most Premier league managers.

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So in just days before the season starts he's speaking to the press about how pre season plans have been damaged by an injury to such a key player in Grealish and how his hands are tied by FFP. 

I'll be honest, I was hoping for something a bit more confident than making excuses and complaining days before kick off of the new season. 

Very different to the comments our captain made just days ago. 

I think he's starting to feel more pressure, not sure this is a good sign that he will handle it positively

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

So in just days before the season starts he's speaking to the press about how pre season plans have been damaged by an injury to such a key player in Grealish and how his hands are tied by FFP. 

I'll be honest, I was hoping for something a bit more confident than making excuses and complaining days before kick off of the new season. 

Very different to the comments our captain made just days ago. 

I think he's starting to feel more pressure, not sure this is a good sign that he will handle it positively

I have to agree with you somewhat, the timing isn't great, nor is the wording.

Horror flashbacks of the final days in the Prem when managers start doing this.

Quotes sound the same.

• Like 1

On 02/08/2017 at 17:21, Mjvilla said:

What you fail to mention here, is that during this time they conceded 5 goals in 2 games against league 1 opposition and have failed to keep a clean sheet, including games against aldershot and Lausanne. 

Having such a brittle defence will lose you more games than it wins you at this level.

Just wanted to level this very one-sided argument out a bit for you.

Wasn't it fergie that said :

'strikers win you games, defence win you titles. '

I'd have thought you need both, but I guess he knows more than me.. 

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I would like to see/hear the tone/context of those comments because Bruce always sounds very positive in his interviews.   Does anyone know much about David Hytner ? (Journo who wrote the article.) Does he have any history with Villa or Bruce that would make him want to spin it in a negative way?

23 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I would like to see/hear the tone/context of those comments because Bruce always sounds very positive in his interviews.   Does anyone know much about David Hytner ? (Journo who wrote the article.) Does he have any history with Villa or Bruce that would make him want to spin it in a negative way?

This is a good point to be fair, however I still really don't like the quoted comments at all.

I am not in that camp, but it definitely lends a hand to the "getting excuses in early" camp, and is eerily similar to the doomed managers/seasons we have had in the past.

We spent a shed load of money in January, I feel he could have emphasised that more himself.

If the frustration is more geared to letting go of Baker for instance, I get it, but still.

Obviously I'm also aware that journalists can spin and sensationalise words/sentences for hits, but I don't know of the Guardian being as low as others.

Hytner is a bit of a joke and widely seen so by other Guardian journalists. He's the one who had the 'exclusive' that Gareth Bale was signing for Inter Milan.

Read the quotes without the opening paragraph of negative spin and Bruce doesn't say anything wrong. In fact I think we would all agree with it. And clearly it's in the context of the Neymar deal (don't tell me every manager wasn't asked about FFP after that) hence the comment about big clubs.

Nothing to see here. I don't even think there is a negative tone, he's saying he thinks he can deal with the situation. 

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 4

In fact the more I read it the more annoyed I am. Hytner bases the whole article on saying Bruce is annoyed FFP wasn't made clear to him. Then does a 'Bruce backtracked on those comments when asked directly and said he knew the situation.'

Thats not backtracking, he's just saying he knew the situation and even says "it's not a problem". I am not convinced Bruce will get us promoted but journalists are awful. Never forget that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

That was a poor interview. We spent big in January and Wyness was very clear  at the time that after that that this summer would be a small window of transfers. 

You know that, I know that and I dare say most Villa fans know that. 

But the wider footballing world possibly won't. So any failure to attain promotion this season is now covered. 

The narrative will be what chance did Steve Bruce ever have, the poor bloke was expected to get promotion with one arm tied behind his back.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

it's simple really the McCormack, elphick and Tish transfers have put us in this position. 20m on utter shit with very poor resale value.

this club will they never learn?!

Gollini as well 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Gollini as well 

True that. If bruces recent comments aboit selling players we dont want to mean kodjia say goodbye to promotion.

Personally i would have tried cashing in Hogan if we were that desperate for cash.

It literally is promotion or bust this year. Hope the players can handle the pressure

3 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

In fact the more I read it the more annoyed I am. Hytner bases the whole article on saying Bruce is annoyed FFP wasn't made clear to him. Then does a 'Bruce backtracked on those comments when asked directly and said he knew the situation.'

Thats not backtracking, he's just saying he knew the situation and even says "it's not a problem". I am not convinced Bruce will get us promoted but journalists are awful. Never forget that.

He has taken the comments completely out of context hasn’t he when you look at what Bruce said in the whole interview.

I see little to disagree with in what Bruce said. We have for years been haemorrhaging money on crap. We did spend a lot of money over the previous two windows.

I am sure in an ideal world he would have liked to have had a few quid to spend without having to generate it and him saying it is hardly a surprise is it. I am sure he’d have loved the 30 odd mill net spend we had last summer. He is in fact in credit in terms of spending. In terms of having to sell players he wouldn’t want to he said that is though unlikely to be the case and then referred to Baker, a player who wouldn’t be first choice. We won’t be selling anyone considered first choice.

You can read what you like into any interview or highlight certain sections out of context. He finished it by saying this though “whether I have FFP or whatever, the demand is that we are there or thereabouts. We have to be. I am under no illusions about that. That’s why I came here.”

He knows he has to get promotion. Based on what John Terry has said the manager has drilled that into the players. That is the bottom line and anything else is irrelevant.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Â