Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

... Because otherwise, we won't go up and he'll be sacked. So he needs to keep that form up. 

He needs to do better.....To get a playoff place let alone automatic promotion.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Completely agree. And can see why some would roll the dice again.

Ive seen enough to want him to stay.

Sorry Terry I don't want to come across as picking on your posts or looking for an argument but can you elaborate on what you have seen from him that makes you think he can get promotion, by that I mean on the pitch or what he has said and not the "he has got 4 promotions" bit or his points per game ration which isn't good enough for a play off place this season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, macandally said:

I now 100% believe Bruce is the wrong man for us.

His experience has been taking small time clubs and grinding out promotion against the odds, making him look good in the process.  We are a huge club, who have spent big on the leagues best talent and our approach should force that fact.  Be aggressive, press high up the pitch, put all of the small clubs we are playing on the back foot.  This has been Newcastles approach from game one and although they will lose the odd game, it has got them promoted.

We have attacking flair, great wing backs and attacking midfielders.  We then go out and sit in and counter attack against inferior opponents.  We are making our own problems and for me, Bruce and his desperation to have this job are prejudicing his approach.  We look bereft of movement, ideas and passing ability.  I don't blame the players, our play deep tactics mean we are constantly under pressure at the back.  Sometimes the best form of defence is attack, let's commit players forward (second game running with only one or two players in the opposition penalty area), Fulham had five or six in our box on occasion.  We only had that when we thumped the ball forward from set pieces.

Time for some attacking intent and the sooner the better, otherwise we are not going up next year

Very good post and some great points made - cannot give it a like as I've used my quota ;)

Fair enough people wanting him gone or to stay. I'm back on the fence now. I have no idea what I want. 

But can we please stop the myth about rowett. I don't want to see his name mentioned again because if anyone just see his derby team play, it was worse than Bruce. If rowett took over, we would be in this place again come the winter and I'm sure of it!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, macandally said:

I now 100% believe Bruce is the wrong man for us.

His experience has been taking small time clubs and grinding out promotion against the odds, making him look good in the process.  We are a huge club, who have spent big on the leagues best talent and our approach should force that fact.  Be aggressive, press high up the pitch, put all of the small clubs we are playing on the back foot.  This has been Newcastles approach from game one and although they will lose the odd game, it has got them promoted.

We have attacking flair, great wing backs and attacking midfielders.  We then go out and sit in and counter attack against inferior opponents.  We are making our own problems and for me, Bruce and his desperation to have this job are prejudicing his approach.  We look bereft of movement, ideas and passing ability.  I don't blame the players, our play deep tactics mean we are constantly under pressure at the back.  Sometimes the best form of defence is attack, let's commit players forward (second game running with only one or two players in the opposition penalty area), Fulham had five or six in our box on occasion.  We only had that when we thumped the ball forward from set pieces.

Time for some attacking intent and the sooner the better, otherwise we are not going up next year

Great post which sums up my issues better than I could.

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

Sorry Terry I don't want to come across as picking on your posts or looking for an argument but can you elaborate on what you have seen from him that makes you think he can get promotion, by that I mean on the pitch or what he has said and not the "he has got 4 promotions" bit or his points per game ration which isn't good enough for a play off place this season.

I'm struggling to see anything from him this season that makes me think we have a really good chance at promotion next season. 

I let a run of good results (most of which i didn't see) blind me into believing. But since I've watched more games it become more clear to me that we are going nowhere with him. 

And to think some were saying we could go in to win the remaining 7 games of the season after our decent spell. We simply do not play well enough. 

We will be amongst the play offs next season, i have no doubts about it. We won't get automatically promoted under Bruce imo. 

Apart from the 'stability factor', I really see no point in persisting with Bruce. He'll never get us playing anything resembling football.

I said it when he was appointed, and I'll say it again, Bruce is simply a relic of the past. Furthermore he isn't interested in changing his approach, nor do I think he ever could, even if he wanted to.

Promotion next season is paramount. I honestly despair, knowing this is as good as it gets with Bruce at the helm. Sad times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Because we have spent so long in the PL where even average players are sold for millions, i think the amount of money we have spent relative to our competition is lost on some people. 

Our front 2 today probably cost more than 90% of the squads in the league, Jonathan Kodjia was probably more expensive than the Fulham team that just played us offarrow-10x10.png the park. Now they say you can't buy success but most clubs in this league couldn't even dream of spending what we have. That level of backing demands results, if he doesn't get us promoted next season he will have failed, and will rightfully be sacked. 

Of course, but by then it will be too late for us. We could well languish in the Championship for years.

Brighton and Newcastle play a high paced, energy based game and retain possession and can move the ball into dangerous positions quickly.  Villa are so slow and ponderous on the ball, we make it up as we go along. I just cannot see this changing under Bruce. 

4 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Brighton and Newcastle play a high paced, energy based game and retain possession and can move the ball into dangerous positions quickly.  Villa are so slow and ponderous on the ball, we make it up as we go along. I just cannot see this changing under Bruce. 

The real problem is that he'll be given enough time to prove it

Our recruitment has been piss poor, our judgement got so clouded by the fact that we thought we were been cute by bringing in lads with premier league and championship experience we never stopped to assess are they actually good. I'm talking about elphick and Jedinak.  And no i don't rate Jedinak, so flawed as a midfielder. The guys we should be trying to attract in the summer are players like ben osborn. Young, technically gifted..bags of room to improve. 

I like many others are very concerned about what will happen if Steve Bruce continues next season. Which brings another concern to mind in my opinion. We are led to believe that the club, with Steve Round leading the way, are intending to build an on pitch identity, so that whoever is the manager, we play "The Villa Way". Please, please tell me that we appointed Steve Bruce as a quick, albeit failed, fix  and that what we have witnessed over the last few months is not the board's vision of "The Villa Way". 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I like many others are very concerned about what will happen if Steve Bruce continues next season. Which brings another concern to mind in my opinion. We are led to believe that the club, with Steve Round leading the way, are intending to build an on pitch identity, so that whoever is the manager, we play "The Villa Way". Please, please tell me that we appointed Steve Bruce as a quick, albeit failed, fix  and that what we have witnessed over the last few months is not the board's vision of "The Villa Way". 

ran out of likes

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think we will get promoted next season under Bruce.  It won't be pretty though.

What makes you think that? Honest question. Please don't reference his 4 earlier promotions.

Â