Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I'm pretty happy with Bruce as a manager.

He's done well in a relatively short period of time, and has been our best manager in years (not that hard!).

Looking forward to seeing him get us promoted next season.

• Like 1

Some interesting comments on possession atm.

In this league I really don't think it's anything important. In fact I feel we benefit more from conceding possession and bring teams out as Kodjia and Adomah want space to run into, we've sort of morphed into a poorer version of the MON teams I think.

However if we go up then yes 30% possession simply isn't going to cut it if we want to be a major team in the premier league again like we were during 2007-10.

I know we had that famous game under Lambert at Southampton when we won with I think 23% possession but that was simply a fluke as evidenced by most of his reign. Us giving Arsenal the ball straight from kick off in the cup final didn't do much good did it. Against better level teams you must value the ball more if you want to impose your game on a regular basis.

I'm fine with SB as manager as believe he'll get us promoted next season. I would however be amazed if he was still manager a year after said promotion. No way would Xia let things drift like Lerner did if he were losing most weeks in the prem especially as I'd imagine we'd have another major squad investment (I think this season will be much quieter with 2-3 permanents and a couple of loans).

16 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

The real paradox about it all is.

The more rope (end of season, pre-season more signings) you give him the even more rope you must give him, negated by the possibility of it going tits up sooner or later, The sooner meaning we have enough time to save the season. the later meaning - rinse & repeat (the new manager needs a pre-season/own players ......ad infinitum)

This season the board established 10/11 games as a "D-Day". OK different circumstances, so when is D-Day due next season? 15 games? 20 or 23 games.

When do you make a call?

It's hard to believe we'll make a terrible start next season to what RDM did.

Just to confirm we won the grand total of 1 game in our first 12 (inc. Luton). That was at home to Rotherham and as seen by the league table they are total rubbish at this level.

And people wonder why we haven't seriously challenged for the top 6. It's really not a good idea to give teams like Huddersfield 10-15 point head starts at any level.

I know we had a very poor run under SB in the new year but that was due to some odd errors by him like thinking for some reason Gabby and McCormack were going to fire us to wins which hopefully won't be repeated.

Given the run we're on atm I just can't believe we'll come out in August and look clueless in how to win games like we did start of this season. A good start is needed and think we'll get it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think that's a bit harsh on GH, I don't think for a moment he's waiting for him to fail, he just thinks he will. I seem to remember a post of his not that long ago when he was showing signs of putting a tentative foot on the platform of The Steve Bruce Express. To be fair I've bought a ticket but I'm concerned that we may not have enough coal to get up the hill. 

Dave.....It wasn't meant to be harsh and I apologise to him if it comes across that way.

If he thinks SB will fail and eventually it is proved he hasn't/does'nt .....what I meant was, that could be a miserable time waiting ( if indeed too....miserable is the right word)

For my part, I think he will succeed, so if he doesn't, my misery will be when that has been established and he go's.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

My impression is he will get us promoted but at best make us relegation survivors each season

Dr Tony Xia is no Lerner. He isn't going to give  SB 40-50m to spend just to get us 15th or 16th each season.

My best guess is he'll get to xmas in our first prem season and then he'll be moved on due to the mediocre football we're seeing at this level.

13 hours ago, vreitti said:

It sure seems a strange reality if we actually have to choose between losing by playing quality football, or winning with lackluster hoofball.

Not when the job is unfinished.....If it was, I would agree.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Dr Tony Xia is no Lerner. He isn't going to give  SB 40-50m to spend just to get us 15th or 16th each season.

My best guess is he'll get to xmas in our first prem season and then he'll be moved on due to the mediocre football we're seeing at this level.

If in fact the football we are seeing at present, exists at that time.

I suspect this team will not resemble the team you mention in the Prem.

There is no indication from Steve Bruce's past we will play any different to what we're doing now. His teams at Hull and Sunderland played in a similar manner.

This idea he's suddenly going to morph in a pressing genius like Pochettino is just wishful thinking I'm afraid.

Generally managers who've been doing it for 20 years stick to what they know best, it's just human nature really.

McLeish did exactly the same here as he did at SHA despite the demands for more and if we appointed Pulis he'd set us up exactly how he is at WBA and previously at Stoke.

As I've said for now SB is I think the manager we need given his previous record. At prem level I have serious doubts and Xia wouldn't let things drift for years like Lerner did.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

There is no indication from Steve Bruce's past we will play any different to what we're doing now. His teams at Hull and Sunderland played in a similar manner.

This idea he's suddenly going to morph in a pressing genius like Pochettino is just wishful thinking I'm afraid.

Generally managers who've been doing it for 20 years stick to what they know best, it's just human nature really.

McLeish did exactly the same here as he did at SHA despite the demands for more and if we appointed Pulis he'd set us up exactly how he is at WBA and previously at Stoke.

As I've said for now SB is I think the manager we need given his previous record. At prem level I have serious doubts and Xia wouldn't let things drift for years like Lerner did.

I agree with most of that......where I think i have my doubts is......Managers set the team up with what talent they have and what money they have at their disposal, that brings results.....you are right in the sense that judging by history, it is likely that the style will continue, because the talent we can attract may not lend itself to Expansive football or a model of it.

However, If Steve Bruce, Sam Allardyce or Tony Pulis was fortunate enough to secure a job managing any of the top 6......The style of football maybe entirely different.....because they would have the players to play it.

It is very difficult for a manager to break out of that mould, they can easily get typecast......sometimes "necessity is the mother of invention"

I have no pre conceived idea's of what Steve Bruce will do, when we get promoted......but that is not saying you are wrong, its just my opinion.

History, says you are right, but I prefer to think circumstances have dictated that history.

I would suspect that if some of the fans who are opposed to Steve Bruce, put their reasons to him face to face/one on one......I think they would have a different opinion after the responses.

Just my opinion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

My impression is he will get us promoted but at best make us relegation survivors each season

He's done well in the Premier League with clubs on a considerably smaller budget previously.  I don't see why he wouldn't get us to mid-table initially.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I would suspect that if some of the fans who are opposed to Steve Bruce, put their reasons to him face to face/one on one......I think they would have a different opinion after the responses.

Just my opinion.

I doubt very much that If I had a 1 on 1 with him he would give me any kind of answer/excuse.

A spade us a spade.......

Edited by Grasshopper

13 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I am actually looking forward to a quiet summer with the same manager, getting time to get the best out of the team. It makes a change.

What is this witchcraft? Going into the start of a new season with the same manager from the last season.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 1

I think stability should be prioritised. 

From what I've seen of this league (only really this season), what strikes me is a significant lack of quality.

I'm not saying it will be easy next year, but I think if we stick with Bruce, build some continuity, add a couple of players, get a decent game plan, we will be just fine.

It's an added risk to put someone new in, let them choose the (possibly new) players they want, devise a new system etc. 

Bruce in for me - would be quite interesting to get a poll too btw?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, VERB27 said:

I think stability should be prioritised. 

From what I've seen of this league (only really this season), what strikes me is a significant lack of quality.

I'm not saying it will be easy next year, but I think if we stick with Bruce, build some continuity, add a couple of players, get a decent game plan, we will be just fine.

It's an added risk to put someone new in, let them choose the (possibly new) players they want, devise a new system etc. 

Bruce in for me - would be quite interesting to get a poll too btw?

Agree, getting a new manager in would be lunacy. 

Bruce is tried and tested and gets teams out of this division by hook or by crook, why risk throwing that away?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

What is this witchcraft? Going into the start of a new season with the same manager from the last season.

We're not sure whether we'll be allowed to yet.  Wyness will be writing to the FA requesting that Villa be allowed to keep the current manager from this season into next season.  Fingers crossed.  They don't usually make exceptions for us though.

• Like 1

Â