Ian Atkins

sidcow

Suprised there is no thread about our new chief scout. 

I know nothing about him. Anyone got any thoughts?

Edit having looked on transfer market,  bearing in mind his title was head of European recruitment,  Everton seem to have bought hardly any players and even fewer of note from the European market!! 

Edited by sidcow

I see him around the bars in Solihull from time to time! That's my input to this thread! Always keeps a low profile but with his nose connections and working for us be interesting to see what flack he gets!

2 hours ago, jon_c said:

Why would you put that balls up on your CV?

Bizarre CV, I particularly enjoyed his description of his time as Bristol Rovers manager:

" Joining this club was worst career move ever for me- did not do enough homework on people working for..." 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

15 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

His spelling and punctuation are pretty bad. Not that it means much obviously, but why didn't he get someone to proof read?!

'don't suffer fools likely' being another one. Let's hope he's good at his job, last two jobs at PL clubs so could be a coup hopefully.

2 hours ago, jon_c said:

Why would you put that balls up on your CV?

It wasn't his balls up by the looks of it. His scouts spotted him but the club never took the chance. His job is to find them not sign them. 

23 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

He also oversaw the development of Scott Sinclair. I don't know how I feel about that.

I know what you mean, it's difficult to put these feelings into words. However, if I try, words like 'repelled', 'disgusted' and 'deeply embarrassed on his behalf' come wearily to mind. 

It  looks like he got a disfunctional teenager to put that profile together. The spelling, grammar and layout is diabolical. How on earth can he apply for and obtain such high profile positions when he can't even get his career summary correct!

Edited by pacbuddies
  • Like 1

I don't know much about this guy but I did enjoy reading his car-crash of a linked-in profile. particularly liked Bristol Rovers:

Joining this club was worst career move ever for me

Lol. Anyways, it looks like the story is: Steve Walsh becomes Director of Football at Everton; Atkins finds there is no place for him anymore. Gets out contacts book and finds the names "Wyness" and "Round", both former mates of his at Everton and now seemingly both at Aston Villa. What a stroke of luck! Picks up the phone and the rest is history.

Also, as has been pointed out in the new manager thread, he recruited for Stevie Bruce at Sunderland (although judging by his linked-in, no-one was ever actually bought). So that strengthens the theory that Bruce is our next manager.

Can't wait to read his linked-in verdict on Villa once he leaves us.

Edited by briny_ear

Â