Next Villa Manager

Richard

Tbh, I wouldn't be totally against giving Paul lambert another shot. Out of all the recent managers he was the one who had his hands well and truly tied. Looking back it was a bit of a success he managed to keep us up twice. Not many will agree but we were always being tipped for relegation whilst he was there. Despite a brief flourish, we've far from moved forward since his departure.

Wouldn't be my first choice obv.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Tbh, I wouldn't be totally against giving Paul lambert another shot. Out of all the recent managers he was the one who had his hands well and truly tied. Looking back it was a bit of a success he managed to keep us up twice. Not many will agree but we were always being tipped for relegation whilst he was there. Despite a brief flourish, we've far from moved forward since his departure.

Wouldn't be my first choice obv.

And of course he has done so well with the clubs he managed after leaving Villa, his managerial talents have shone through.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

Dean Smith or maybe Chris Hughton but I can't see RDM being sacked already, it's not like last season where we're getting turned over every week (at least that rot has stopped), I get the feeling that someone is going to get a right shoeing off us soon and it'll be the turning point in our fortunes.

1 minute ago, Hoof hearted said:

Dean Smith or maybe Chris Hughton but I can't see RDM being sacked already, it's not like last season where we're getting turned over every week (at least that rot has stopped), I get the feeling that someone is going to get a right shoeing off us soon and it'll be the turning point in our fortunes.

Really ?  - I think the exact opposite. 

4 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

And of course he has done so well with the clubs he managed after leaving Villa, his managerial talents have shone through.

He's only been to Blackburn since where by all accounts his hands were also tied.

I'd have Lambert over RDM tbh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

People have been saying this for weeks now...

• Like 1

I would give RDM a little longer.  I would tell him he has to get results in the next 5 games and start moving us towards those play-off spots or its over. As bad as we have been we are still only 7 points away from the play-off places and that can be made up over 36 games IF we can start winning more regularly.  I am sure RDM knows it is shit or bust now. Other managers have turned things around, so I am not ready to give up on him yet, but my goodwill is dwindling and he needs to make it happen now.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 4

Just now, hippo said:

Really ?  - I think the exact opposite. 

I do fella, I've been to all but the Ipswich and Luton games (thankfully!) and bar the first half against Newcastle we have made teams look exactly what they, on the whole, in this league are, utter shite.

There seems to be this massive cloud of bad luck hovering around the place and it has to clear at some point, basic laws of physics/karma say so!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

No but name me a manager that we could get that doesn't come with a bit of iffy form. 

I think Paul lambert with this summer's budget.... and this team would be in a much stronger position.

Absolutely gobsmacked that anyone wants an ex blues manager , i would give it 5 games of not winning until the whole place turned , we need to learn from mistakes.

The whole RDM thing is premature , remove 3 or 4 individual player mistakes and we would be in the top 2 or 3 , end of last season everyone was saying this mess will take 2 seasons to sort out , after 10 games people want to spin the wheel again , its going to take time

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

I would give RDM a little longer.  I would tell him he has to get results in the next 5 games and start moving us towards those play-off spots or its over. As bad as we have been we are still only 7 points away from the play-off places and that can be made up over 36 games IF we can start winning more regularly.  I am sure RDM knows it is shit or bust now. Other managers have turned things around, so I am not ready to give up on him yet, but my goodwill is dwindling and he needs to make it happen now.

Id though RDM'S brief would include winning more than 1 in 10. I'm pretty sure calling RDM into the office and 'telling him to win games'  wouldn't change that. 

17 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

I do fella, I've been to all but the Ipswich and Luton games (thankfully!) and bar the first half against Newcastle we have made teams look exactly what they, on the whole, in this league are, utter shite.

There seems to be this massive cloud of bad luck hovering around the place and it has to clear at some point, basic laws of physics/karma say so!

What bad luck ? - The only bad luck I see was RDM agreeing to take the job.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

Absolutely gobsmacked that anyone wants an ex blues manager , i would give it 5 games of not winning until the whole place turned , we need to learn from mistakes.

The whole RDM thing is premature , remove 3 or 4 individual player mistakes and we would be in the top 2 or 3 , end of last season everyone was saying this mess will take 2 seasons to sort out , after 10 games people want to spin the wheel again , its going to take time

I'd have Rowett down here in a heartbeat. One of the best managers in the league in my opinion. What he has done with Blues on a shoestring is nothing short of spectacular.

If it was Sam I'd give up Villa completely.  Thankfully he is the antithesis of what Tony has said he wants for this club.  I truly can't believe, however low we go, that people are even considering him  - might as well sign up Adam Johnson at the same time.

If/when RDM does go I also think we need to be very careful who is next as there will be more to come from the Telegraph expose - I'd steer well clear of some of the older 'traditional' british lot - Warnock, Perason, Bruce.  Ideally I'd still like to poach Warburton, but Rowett or Dean Smith would be OK.