Next Villa Manager

Richard

33 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'd have Rowett down here in a heartbeat. One of the best managers in the league in my opinion. What he has done with Blues on a shoestring is nothing short of spectacular.

Dont dispute that , the worry is what happens when things arent going so well?

• Like 2

Don't like Hughton or Smith. Smith has a great team in the background running everything at the club, he's just a coach basically.

Rowett I do like, but I'm not sure it'd work from the off, and that's what we need.

Bruce would leap at the chance to manage us I think. He'd probably get us up at least by the end of next season but that's a minimum requirement really.

I wonder if Gary Neville would click here? A side outside the PL could mean he is under a slightly smaller microscope. His demeanour and TV work will have the dressing room eating out of his hand from the off. Gamble though.

I'd like to keep Clarke around to be honest as a coach who has been reportedly excellent everywhere he's been.

2 hours ago, Bomvilla7 said:

I think the same. Yes the draws are frustrating but there has been an improvement in our play and we have been unlucky (I'm talking trying to break the frame of the goal as opposed to conceding in the last 5 mins of a game). I do think we are closer to making everything click, and you can see the players are desperate for that win. 6 points and we are up in the top half, its that close. Too early to talk about getting rid of, and I can't think of anyone who is a.) gettable and b.) better than the coaching set up we have. It might not be working the way we want it to right now, but they are all proven at this level.

We're getting progressively worse under RDM.

Dyche, Bruce or  Rowett for me. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'd have Rowett down here in a heartbeat. One of the best managers in the league in my opinion. What he has done with Blues on a shoestring is nothing short of spectacular.

Spectacular is a bit far, he's turned them into an entirely effective counter-attacking football team.  That's fine, as I said earlier, it works for the "underdogs", but I don't think it would be popular here.

To demonstrate, Blues have 2nd lowest possession in the Championship (Rotherham lowest), the 3rd worst pass completion rate in the Championship (Preston and Ipswich bottom two) and the 4th highest amount of shots conceded per game in the Championship (Rotherham, Forest and Barnsley worse (all played us, possibly coincidence?)).

What they do well is sit deep, tackle and ping long balls forward for their attack to chase.  It worked at Burton, it's working at Blues, but would that style really appease us as fans?

• Like 4

Just now, bobzy said:

Spectacular is a bit far, he's turned them into an entirely effective counter-attacking football team.  That's fine, as I said earlier, it works for the "underdogs", but I don't think it would be popular here.

To demonstrate, Blues have 2nd lowest possession in the Championship (Rotherham lowest), the 3rd worst pass completion rate in the Championship (Preston and Ipswich bottom two) and the 4th highest amount of shots conceded per game in the Championship (Rotherham, Forest and Barnsley worse (all played us, possibly coincidence?)).

What they do well is sit deep, tackle and ping long balls forward for their attack to chase.  It worked at Burton, it's working at Blues, but would that style really appease us as fans?

We don't have the midfield for it either. 

I'd give Lambert another go at it - when you look at his performance in the context of what Sherwood, Garde, and now RDM have achieved it doesn't seem as bad as it was toward the end of his tenure. If he was given the sort of cash RDM has been given this summer I think he would spend it very well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

But irrelevant IMO, as we are not Blues on a shoestring.

Not saying I don't like him, but he is unproven and would suit a Club like them, where steady progress is welcomed, rather than ours, where rapid progress is demanded.

IF we are happy to have a 2/3 year plan, then fine, try him ,like we did Lambert.  But how many fans (and the owner) would accept that ?

Otherwise, too unproven.  Doing well isn't the same as getting promoted from the Championship.

And Steve Bruce ?

Why ? 1 promotion in the last nine years from a guy who knows the League inside out ? What's so good about that ?

If we are excluding Managers from abroad (probably rightly as this is no time for another experiment )there is to my knowledge only one proven guy who hasn't also failed at some point, and with recent experience and some character, Dyche. Two promotions, recently.

McCarthy, Hughton, Bruce, 5 between them, spanning years.

Has to be Dyche for me, assuming we sack RDM.

32 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

I'd give Lambert another go at it - when you look at his performance in the context of what Sherwood, Garde, and now RDM have achieved it doesn't seem as bad as it was toward the end of his tenure. If he was given the sort of cash RDM has been given this summer I think he would spend it very well.

But why look at it in that context ?  And what difference if hew would have spent well, we've spent ?

Think what he is saying is if lambert was in charge with our money now, then he would do quite well in comparison. 

But yes it's all contextual, we will never really know how he would do with Dr Tony as his boss.

Edited by Tommo_b

5 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

That is exactly what we need at the moment. Uninspiring maybe, the football won’t necessarily be pretty but it will be effective and I would be confident he could quickly have this lot playing to a system that gets the best out of them and gets us right up amongst the promotion places. Not the right man long term but for where we are now and to get us back up he would be ideal for me.

The issue I would have with Rowett is that this job comes with a pressure he would never have experienced before. There is an expectation here that he hasn’t had at Burton or Sha. He does get results though given the resources he has had available and although the way his teams play isn’t pretty they are effective.

If Xia has these huge plans and the resources to back up that talk then surely we could entice someone like Eddie Howe, Sean Dyce or perhaps more realistic Chris Hughton. They shouldn’t be beyond our reach given the owners ambition and the fact the potential here is huge compared to the clubs they are at now.

Cant agree about Bruce if we want best shot at promotion.

Agree about Rowett 100%

Agree with Howe or Dyche (preferred), but Hughton ? One promotion 6 years ago ?

1 hour ago, El-Reacho said:

We broke him, I'm afraid his time as a decent manager is over. He has management PTSD I'd imagine :lol:. I'd take 2012 Lambert in a heartbeat though. Exactly the kind of manager we need. I think Rowett is the closest to that at the moment.