Next Villa Manager

Richard

1 hour ago, CastleBromVilla said:

Who gives a shit if he played and managed the crap down the road, he's Villa and the short sighted amoungst us would do well to remember. 

I'd say a lot of people would still hold it against him. Whilst most of us didn't want mcleish because of his style of football (which in my eyes is similar to Rowetts), but there were few who from day one were shouting **** off you blue nose clearing in the woods... That grew as results got worse and I can only envisage it happening again.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I'd say a lot of people would still hold it against him. Whilst most of us didn't want mcleish because of his style of football (which in my eyes is similar to Rowetts), but there were few who from day one were shouting **** off you blue nose clearing in the woods... That grew as results got worse and I can only envisage it happening again.

That only potentially becomes an issue if we were struggling and whatever manager Xia appoints you can't start off on the basis what will the reaction be if we struggle. 

Given the squad we have I believe Bruce could get enough out of them to get us promoted. He has four promotions out of this division on his CV which is impressive. Beyond that I doubt he would be the man to take us where Xia wants to ultimately take us but we need to take that first big step back into the top flight first and then worry about that.

4 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Are we really having this discussion after 10 games?! :huh:

To be honest, a fair few were saying it about 6 games ago.  As nobody has really provided a really credible, exciting alternative, plus the possible fallout of the Telegraph investigation with certain other managers, and my general opinion that the best we could aim for before the season is a late push for the play offs, I think holding fire is the best thing at the mo.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

That only potentially becomes an issue if we were struggling and whatever manager Xia appoints you can't start off on the basis what will the reaction be if we struggle. 

Given the squad we have I believe Bruce could get enough out of them to get us promoted. He has four promotions out of this division on his CV which is impressive. Beyond that I doubt he would be the man to take us where Xia wants to ultimately take us but we need to take that first big step back into the top flight first and then worry about that.

Agree about Bruce, my post was referring to Rowett 

• Like 1

After this investigation is over, Stoke will have sacked Hughes, say by start of November. If we're miles off where we should be by then, I'd be okay with us sacking Di Matteo and going for Hughes before someone else does. 

Edit: however, lots of ifs and buts before it comes to that and i expect it won't

Edited by skarroki

Rowett is still too much of a gamble. Pulis, Allardyce or Bruce should be the short list of 3.

They would all get us up this season.

I'd rather win ugly with Pulis than lose or draw playing "the right way"

having dick head centre halves think they're franz beckenbaur pissing about with the ball on the edge of our own box.

The phucktard blunders from the likes of gormless gollini and not so rock on tommy would be a thing of the past knowing a naked tony pulis would be waiting to go toe to toe (or tip to tip) in the showers at full time (anyone rememeber the James Beattie rumours?)

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

If Guidolin is being replaced he is another I would consider.

There really are some very good possible options for us right now.

What, exactly, has guidolin done in the game to be considered a "good possible option" for us? Because before the poor job he has done at Swansea, I'd never heard of him.

Without using Google.

Edited by Mjvilla

Trouble with Allardyce is that he will not be scrutinised to the max and maybe part of him being so good in the past has been down to the dodgy dealings he MAY HAVE done. I mean, remember the players he got in at Bolton? The likes of Okocha, Helguera etc. Just saying. 

Having said all of the above, maybe a dodgy manager is exactly what we need. If we can't beat them we might as well join them? 

In addition to my previous post, did anyone see Soccer Special on Sky last night, around half time? The guys were talking about how England should go in for their next manager. Niall Quinn said they need someone with a clean image and be basically flawless. The rest of the panel - Allan McInally, Phil Thompson and Charlie Nicholas all just cracked up laughing in a way that suggested there's no such person existing in football today.

I know an ex player's dad and worked with him for years. He told me a story about how his son's former manager used to make money that is probably common in the game. Made me question (realise?) why manager's rip up players' transfer requests!