Next Villa Manager

Richard

7 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Still Steve Bruce for me. I had no idea who Wagner is until 48 hours ago. 

You'd pick Randy Lerner over Dr Tone, just because you knew who the former was before the takeover? ;)

Edited by meme

56 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

This is Huddersfields highest scoring XI according to the marks given by Whoscored.  The ones in yellow are Wagner's signings from this summer along with how much they cost. Just shows that putting together an almost completely new side, getting them to gel together and play well can be done... not to mention how much cheaper he did it.

Picture1.jpg

That is very impressive. It's almost like he knows what he's doing.

My impression on Bruce is that he buys tried and tested players who are on the move from bigger teams, Davies, Huddlestone. I think Bruce could compete but don't think he would rebuild on a budget and have us stabilized in the Premier League without spending millions. Bruce getting the job would indicate a panic move.  

• Like 1

Yep I agree @TrentVilla regarding systems and philosophies and my 'there or thereabouts' was my way of lazily implying that there are differences between them which I couldn't be arsed to go into :) I suppose the most succinct way I could put it is that a philosophy extends to things beyond the matchday, whereas a system is how the philosophy is implemented on matchday.  But I think most can get the nuanced difference :thumb:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Yep I agree @TrentVilla regarding systems and philosophies and my 'there or thereabouts' was my way of lazily implying that there are differences between them which I couldn't be arsed to go into :) I suppose the most succinct way I could put it is that a philosophy extends to things beyond the matchday, whereas a system is how the philosophy is implemented on matchday.  But I think most can get the nuanced difference :thumb:

For many they seem almost interchangeable terms, I know that isn't the case with you. Your post was more just a launch point into a frustrated ramble. :)

• Like 1

Sam Allardyce Appointed New Villa Manager

Sam Allardyce has been appointed manager of Aston Villa on a 5 year deal. The former England manager replaces Roberto Di Matteo following the Italian’s sacking after just 124 days in charge.

Allardyce admits that he has mixed feelings about the new challenge.

Comedown

“I’d be lying if I said Villa wasn’t a huge comedown from the England gig,” he told Soccer on Sunday. “It’s a humiliation, if I’m honest. Having to take the Villa job is every manager’s worst nightmare. But I’ve hit my rock bottom now. The only way from Villa Park is up. I can’t sink any lower — that’s for sure.”

“Some would say I deserve this,” added the former West Ham manager. “I got loose-lipped over a few pints of vino and lost the only job I ever wanted. Managing Aston Villa might be God’s way of punishing me, but it’s a cruel sentence. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.”

Grealish

According to Jack Grealish, Big Sam wasted no time in addressing the Villa squad after training today.

“The gaffer levelled with us,” the midfielder told Soccer on Sunday. “He said he doesn’t want to be here any more than we do, and that we’re all here because we’ve done something wrong. But it’s our job now to claw ourselves out of this West Midlands shit hole. Micah Richards tried to start a ‘slow clap’, but it fizzled out.”

“Then the gaffer broke down crying and sat down on the ground,” added Grealish. “He just kept saying ‘Stupid Sam, Stupid Sam’ over and over, and smacking his forehead with his fist. Agbonlahorsy tried to put an arm around him, but the gaffer just screamed ‘DON’T TOUCH ME WITH THOSE FILTHY VILLA PAWS’.”

Future

Allardyce insists that his stay at Villa Park will be short.

“I just hope one day people forget I managed Villa,” he told Soccer on Sunday. “I have grandkids. I don’t want them googling me when they’re older, seeing their grandad in the Villa dugout. That would break my heart.”

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Buying players to fit a system and without blowing millions on them..............its a novel approach. I cannot see it catching on down Villa Park though.

That Chris Lowe looks class too. Signed him from kaiserslautern. Has a good eye seemingly does Wagner.

I remember speaking to a mate of mine (a nose) about Bruce a few years back and he said that Bruce is very good at taking another manager's group of players and getting the best out of them, but once he adds his own players to the squads he tends to fall short and hits a ceiling.

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

I remember speaking to a mate of mine (a nose) about Bruce a few years back and he said that Bruce is very good at taking another manager's group of players and getting the best out of them, but once he adds his own players to the squads he tends to fall short and hits a ceiling.

I agree with that summary although it's more accurate to say he struggles when trying to transform sides from being functional old school sides to more cultured sides.

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I agree with that summary although it's more accurate to say he struggles when trying to transform sides from being functional old school sides to more cultured sides.

Yeah I'd agree with that. Pulis found it hard to adjust the playing style at Stoke too.

On Sky Bet the list now shows 

Bruce 11/8

Smith 6/1

Steve Cotterrill 10/1

Wagner 10/1

Clarke 11/1

John Carver 12/1

Sam Allardyce 16/1

I've been sort of scanning the forum while at work, but as the day has gone on, Cotterill and Carver have moved up / on out of nowhere. The Birmingham Mail is saying we are to interview Cotterill? Is this BS interest possibly by bookies trying to earn a few bob? I mean, John Carver ???? Who would put money on him to the point the bookies have to shorten their odds? I dont fully understand how they determine the odds list but it looks like BS from afar.

Hands up who has been betting on John Carver. 

7 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Bruce 11/8

Smith 6/1

Steve Cotterrill 10/1

Wagner 10/1

Clarke 11/1

John Carver 12/1

Sam Allardyce 16/1

I've been sort of scanning the forum while at work, but as the day has gone on, Cotterill and Carver have moved up / on out of nowhere. The Birmingham Mail is saying we are to interview Cotterill? Is this BS interest possibly by bookies trying to earn a few bob? I mean, John Carver ???? Who would put money on him to the point the bookies have to shorten their odds? I dont fully understand how they determine the odds list but it looks like BS from afar.

Not sure where you saw that mate. Wagner 9/4 at Skybet.

Interesting Pearson is only 5/1 at Betfair, but 20's and 25/1 at all the others.

Edited by sidcowans21
mistake

5 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Bruce 11/8

Smith 6/1

Steve Cotterrill 10/1

Wagner 10/1

Clarke 11/1

John Carver 12/1

Sam Allardyce 16/1

Literally anyone on that list but him..... I'm astounded he has even been mentioned. Hire Carver and we will have to sack him boxing day!

Edited by Villan_of_oz