Football Manager 2017

V01

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

I've taken the plunge today with this. More of a casual player and never really got into the last couple of additions, and now have a wife and 9 month old to also contend with. The challenge of Villa really appealed to me on this, however  

Had a look through the squad, and need to add a couple of centre mids (obvs). Disappointed with the stats on Amavi and Tshibola. Ayew and Kodjia with RMC behind looks like it'll do damage.

Anybody have any first season recommendations for me for players to sign?

First season I only made two signings, I brought in John Ruddy as I found Gollini was making a few mistakes pre season. 2nd season Gollini has stepped up to be number one.

Also brought in Matty James for centre midfield.

The team is pretty strong as it is to win promotion as you long as you get a formation working early on. Ayew banged goals in for fun whereas I found Kodjia would have games where he was useless. Gestede was rubbish.

3 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Am I right in thinking that forest green are having a new stadium made and it'll be made out of wood? Nails worth about a 40 minute drive from me! :) 

Yes MJ the entire stadium. Don't forget that Dale Vince (owner) is one of those quirky millionaires with entrepreneurship focussed on "the different", and is the owner of Ecotricity and even at The New Lawn (current stadium) it's all vegan match day food. But yes , the stadium they're gonna build will be made of wood. Stadium aside, give it five to seven years and I am positive they'll be as high as the championship, almost like the next Bournemouth sort of journey eventually. Stroud itself is you know, a bit quirky in general. Not sure if the term is hippy, but can't think of a better term. Rubs off on the club for sure. 

Me, I'm 20-25 mins out of Gloucester. Gloucester city FC and Cheltenham town FC are marginally closer but FGR were the first I went to see after ending up here. In a few weeks though my non league team will be the mighty Hereford FC due to moving toward the border. If you've never been, I recommend FGr for a home game. Nice place. Nice people. 

• Like 1

i did 2 seasons with inter, been on the verge of the sack a couple of times, constantly flirting with failing FFP, icardi is probably the worst top goalscorer ive ever had (won top scorer twice, average of about 6.5 though) never got enough to push on and catch juve, might be a long haul game with me having to build up the yoof to do it, they won the league by about 15 points both years

i got side tracked yesterday though and decided to do a parma game, was pretty good, hard to sign anyone, the decent youngsters at the serie a clubs wont come on loan, finished 4th and made the playoffs, im very inconsistent so doubt ill win them

14 hours ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Just realised 3 seasons in to my save that I forgot to alter my d.o.b at the start and now it seems that I'm a 24 year old manager in the premiership.... Does anyone know how this affects the game?

No idea - but the game seems pretty relaxed on such issues.  I recently hired a new Assistant Manager; a CPU-generated 19 year old.  I mean, what?

Speaking of issues, my Berwick team recently managed to benefit from the most bizarre transfer I've ever seen.

A regen from my academy eventually wanted to move club (after weeks of me rejecting all transfers) so I sold him to Ross County for £85k + 50% of next sale clause.

I click on the player to see what his value is now that he's at Ross County and it's "£0"; his contract is also "Expired".  I click to sign the player and am able to do so, on a free.  So Ross County bought the player for £85k and "sold" him back to me for nothing on the same day.

Actually, maybe it was meant to be a shining example of financial doping in football? :detect: 

One thing that is a little frustrating is that the AI seem to be able to do certain tactics on corners which I can't do.

For example, I want my corner taker to put the ball on the edge of the box where a player with good attributes in "long shots" will be waiting. Can't seem to do it for the life of me though, there's no option to play the ball out there. It's been done to me a fair few times by the CPU tho.

I'm annoyed they haven't updated some of the player interactions. Take this scenario as an example.

"I want a new contract".

"Ok, i'll offer you a new deal".

"Great".

Player and agent take the piss, negotiations break down.

Player bitches that I didn't keep my promise and my only options are to either apologise or say how dare they bring it up, again implying fault on my part.

I want the third option of "You and your agent are greedy words removed. How could you possibly think you deserve to go from 9k a week to 90k a week and me pay your agent £2.7m".

• Like 3

You're only half as ugly as I expected :thumb:

Your lad is proving ratings aren't everything, nothing better than taking a player no-one rates and having him consistently do the business for you.

1 hour ago, V01 said:

You're only half as ugly as I expected :thumb:

Your lad is proving ratings aren't everything, nothing better than taking a player no-one rates and having him consistently do the business for you.

Hah, cheers! Yes, he is rated as a National League player, but managed to become top goal scorer and get picked in team of the year in League One. I recon i will model his replacement after him. I found a bloke called Lys Mousset who has very similar attributes, only a bit better all over. Just need to teach him the same PPMs... run with ball often and shoots with power. He has the dreaded 'Shoots from distance' though.. but with 15 long shot... Could it work? Ricky Miller doesn't really shoot from long range, but when he does he always scores :)

Edited by tarjei

2 hours ago, tarjei said:

Came back from Copenhagen to find this in the mail, thanks @Midfielder!! A bit big, but not enough that it's a bother. Smells like it's had a bath in concentrated washing powder... just touching it and the smell follows me for a day. Guess it could be worse! :D

20161125_214015.jpg

I'm sure I'll find my way back, but I'm cheating on FGR a bit.

I've got an affair going on with Dover and Ricky Miller. He's rated very low, but just keeps on scoring. And a lot of belters! Curious to see how he'll cope in the championship.

NxqYInl.png

That's cool Tarjei, ironic in that you actually look like your FM created character, minus the dodgy red suit. 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Just found a bloke called Phil cannon, he's down as a head of youth development, wanted a job as a scout but I appointed him as a coach, some of his stats are nuts

Yeah, he's been knocking around for years as the go to Head of Youth development, especially as he is usually out of contract.

8 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

Yeah, he's been knocking around for years as the go to Head of Youth development, especially as he is usually out of contract.

I hire him in this role 9/10; probably my most regular hire.

Â