Football Manager 2017

V01

Well, my form didn't get any better when I tried to be stubborn and go 4-3-3 narrow and find consistency. I must be picking the wrong players. I had three more matches with Luton and lost all of them - picking up two more red cards and no less than five more injuries - I had by then about ten players injured. For the record, when first took control of Luton at the start of summer in season 1, two of my best players were already injured for the season. I mean, wtf????

Anyway, the next board meeting, they were not happy and even the players had met with me to discuss my performance. I maintained that the high number of injuries to key players (by now, I had ten players all out injured - that is a shedload for a League 2 side) was the reason why results were patchy. The board disagreed, and I wasn't in any mood to beg for my job - there was an option to actually BEG for more time. Sod that. So I resigned - and Gary Sweet, the Luton Chairman said good riddance. What a penis.

So I was looking for a job at the start of October and noticed physio job going at Sevilla... Don't think I can apply for that. But then got an interview at Stevenage Borough. Technically now local rivals of Luton Town. So I will be managing them for a while. Hopefully I can start seeing some improvement to my experience in the game. I'm quite disappointed at the moment - mainly because I'm rubbish. It has to be me, though I am still suspicious of the number of red cards and injuries I'm getting. I'm not playing dirty tactics. And I'm calm/passionate in my style when dealing with team talks and press conferences.

I don't regret buying the game and having a go. I'm just not very good... :)

i have played (home and away) 

GK

DR DC DC DL

MC MC

AMR  AMC AML

AC

with quite basic options selected, but player roles matched to whoever is playing and their best role. Though, most often i'll leave it as it was unless they "yellow up". My MCs are ball winning midfielders (at work cant remember the others much) but have my AMR and AML as inside forwards and the AMC as shadow striker.

This has got me:

16/17 - champions of League 1

17/18 - 7th in championship

18/19 - hoepfully up via playoffs or automatic

edit - and whats been nice is that theres been goals aplenty. Not many from MCs and hardly any from defence, but my "wingers" score 20+ each in both seasons, my shadow striker about 15 and striker 20 odd. Then add the proportionate amount in from those rotated in for suspensions, injured or from being knackered.

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 2

i didnt know that people made their own extension packs for the league. the skins, the facepacks, the club crests i knew.... fair play to those that take the time to do sll that. I normally just rock on with the game as is. wont rule out in the future adding these on. thanks for the heads up Dirk and DK82.

For anyone struggling this year (as I was last week), search on google for TFF Warlord, this is a tactic you can download and add into FM17.

Formation is 4-4-1-1, if you download the tactic it will add the player and team instructions for you. Get your team familiar with the tactic and you should start picking up some wins, as long as you have the players to fit the formation.

I was struggling with Villa in 9th in November, on the verge of being sacked. This tactic won me the league, I am now sitting in 5th in the Premier League a couple of months in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

For anyone struggling this year (as I was last week), search on google for TFF Warlord, this is a tactic you can download and add into FM17.

Formation is 4-4-1-1, if you download the tactic it will add the player and team instructions for you. Get your team familiar with the tactic and you should start picking up some wins, as long as you have the players to fit the formation.

I was struggling with Villa in 9th in November, on the verge of being sacked. This tactic won me the league, I am now sitting in 5th in the Premier League a couple of months in.

Isn't that cheating? :D 

44 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Isn't that cheating? :D 

Haha, it could be considered cheating I guess... as could attribute masking being turned off :P

The site is just where people share their tactics they have had success with and it saves plugging all the details of it in manually. As I said though if you don't have the players for the formation then this won't work, and it still involves a bit of tweaking during games at times.

On 07/11/2016 at 17:55, bobzy said:

Started my first game in the Scottish Second Division - for some reason I always have one of these as it's genuinely tough to attract anyone to your club.  I always play as East Stirling but, turns out, they've been relegated so I pick... yeah, that English club will do.  Berwick Rangers...

...Title in the bag.  Division One, here we come.

This has turned into possibly the hardest FM game I've ever played :o  So far...

1st season - "Avoid relegation" - Finished 7th in Scottish League Two
2nd season - "Achieve promotion" - Finished 1st in Scottish League Two
3rd season - "Attempt to avoid relegation" - Finished 7th in Scottish League One
4th season - "Avoid relegation" - Finished 2nd in Scottish League One, won the playoffs
5th season - "Attempt to avoid relegation" - Currently 9th in the Scottish Championship

I'm about 20 games in to the Championship season and am only not bottom because Ayr have managed to pick up a staggering 7 points from their first 20 or so games.  I'm on 12 points.  8th place is on 19.  I actually have no idea how I won a couple of games - I mainly manage to scrape some draws.

My team oddly picks up quite a bit of possession and sometimes manages to equal the opponent on shots etc, but it seems that the majority of their key events are goals, whereas mine are near misses or tame efforts.  My academy produces some decent players but they're all wanted by bigger clubs after maybe a season and get unhappy when I turn down bids.  I think my biggest "success" was selling a player to Millwall for £80k PLUS a 50% of next sale clause... massive money at my club (entire balance is about £120k) but I don't think Millwall are utilising him and he'll probably be released at the end of his contract in 2022.  Argh!

Can't sign any free agents from abroad as they don't want to play for a semi-pro team, can't become a pro team as the board apparently don't believe in my ability yet.  It's an absolute struggle.  I fail to see how I can get out of this league - aside from relegation, that's a real possibility!

• Like 1

Well, I got promoted to the Premier League in my first season with Villa, finishing 2nd, then started well with 9 points in the first 5 games, then went on a barren run of 9 defeats in a row. Now I entrusted my assistant manager with training and match preparation (Michael Lindeman), as I was getting a little "all over the shop" with it in the championship. Imagine my horror when I checked on it and he basically had the squad just doing fitness at "high" for general training then every match training was set at "Def. Positioning" - naturally, I took over training again, sacked him, replaced him with Mark Venus (always a favourite of Dirks), and switched my formation to a 4-1-2-1-2 Narrow with a standard mindset. Haven't looked back, storming up the league now, even beating Le Arse in their own back yard 4-1. Tidy.

14 hours ago, Midfielder said:

i didnt know that people made their own extension packs for the league. the skins, the facepacks, the club crests i knew.... fair play to those that take the time to do sll that. I normally just rock on with the game as is. wont rule out in the future adding these on. thanks for the heads up Dirk and DK82.

I don't normally but they seem to have lost a lot of badges and even team names this year so probably will at some point, don't really bother with the face packs 

it takes longer for them to appear on there but along with the comments on downloading tactics I still spend time browsing the steam workshop, you can find some really good stuff on there and when the enjoyment dips a bit you can find league structure edits on there, I'll probably try a MLS edit (making it like a proper league with none of the stupid rules making it near impossible to enjoy) at some point

58 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't normally but they seem to have lost a lot of badges and even team names this year so probably will at some point, don't really bother with the face packs 

it takes longer for them to appear on there but along with the comments on downloading tactics I still spend time browsing the steam workshop, you can find some really good stuff on there and when the enjoyment dips a bit you can find league structure edits on there, I'll probably try a MLS edit (making it like a proper league with none of the stupid rules making it near impossible to enjoy) at some point

Cheers the only steam thing I do is type password in just so FM loads, I never actually click into the team program itself will check that out. You're right though about the team names, gets confusing so,etimes with these three letter acronyms especially in Brazil. Must have had licensing issues maybe. 

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

That's a decent list, but it's missing some absolute beasts, particularly from CM 03/04.

Alessio Cerci
Evandro Roncatto
Freddy Guarin
Trond Erik Bertlesen
Daniel Braathen
Giampaolo Pazzini

etc.

Fredy Guarin was the GO TO man for long range rockets into the top corner

Did you buy that regen or have him come through? I don't think I've ever had a great villa regen, on 2016 when I played for 12 years and become the best team in the world I still didn't have a single home grown regen make it

as for the video, gabby was never a wonderkid for me, the villa wonderkid is still Shane Paul 

Â