Football Manager 2017

V01

I always like to start in the lower league. Started with Coventry and went up as Champions. Started my summer wheeling and dealing before relegated Middlesbrough offered me the job. 

Was quite enjoying playing with Coventry and was looking forward to trying to stay in the Championship. Went to Boro and spent £40 million. Havnt won in the first 5 games, think ill get fired. 

• Like 1

Are you new to the FM-series @Raver50032?

Tips... don't know where to start. Depends if you're just playing casually or really into it

One thing that I enjoy a lot and find to be very important over time is recruiting and tutoring so that you have a squad with good personalities. I find professionalism to be the most important trait for ability development, ease of managing and motivating the players. So I always look to sign professional senior players and use them to tutor younger players.

Professionalism is a hidden attribute but can be deduced by their personality description, media-handling and determination. Some personalities are obvious (professional, fairly professional, etc) but some are not. Here's a very complicated guide: https://community.sigames.com/topic/247494-the-ultimate-personalitymedia-handling-guide/

I have a Excel-sheet where you can just put in the values and get back the info. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ne067clfrp3rftk/AABhu0eH5fmI2KsMJ9I_hwGna?dl=0

You can also notice a players professionalism by how they react to training workload. Basically if a player complain about high workload or amount of individual training you can be sure he has low professionalism, and by the same logic, if you assign him high workload training and he doesn't complain he has a high rating.

If you develop a professional squad personality (check on club overview to see squad personality) you will get a hint on every coach- and scout report regarding how high the players professionalism is (something like "Our squad is a professional one and [player name] personifies this / fits in well / has a lot of adapting to do / etc). Every "phrase" in this report represents a range from 1-20 in regards to that trait. So if you know how to you can gain a fairly significant advantage in just a couple of seasons.

Ambition is the other really important attribute, but it does have it's drawbacks.. like the player wanting to move on at the first sign of interest from a better side, and complaining about the status quo, whatever that may be. But basically if you can get a squad will professional and ambitious players they will develop very quickly towards their potential, will be very easy to motivate and they will give you very little trouble in management (unless they possess a very poor value in other negative traits like temperament, sportsmanship, etc)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, tarjei said:

Are you new to the FM-series @Raver50032?

Thanks for that Tarjei... I think it's safe to say that it has been 15 or so years since I last played a football management game of any description, so with all of the additional stuff I now see, it really is mind blowing! It would take forever (with the time I have available to play) to actually do every single job at the club myself. So I expect to delegate some of the work to my management team. It' just knowing what best to delegate and what a player really should look after themselves. Understanding what tactics to play is another big long experiment for me. How long do you persist with something until you can say it categorically does not work?

It's all good, and this is just the start of my new journey... I'm already learning things that I would do differently in my next game.

2 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

Thanks for that Tarjei... I think it's safe to say that it has been 15 or so years since I last played a football management game of any description, so with all of the additional stuff I now see, it really is mind blowing! It would take forever (with the time I have available to play) to actually do every single job at the club myself. So I expect to delegate some of the work to my management team. It' just knowing what best to delegate and what a player really should look after themselves. Understanding what tactics to play is another big long experiment for me. How long do you persist with something until you can say it categorically does not work?

It's all good, and this is just the start of my new journey... I'm already learning things that I would do differently in my next game.

I see.. well, micro-management will give you small advantages but also soak up your time. Like press-conferences.. they are riddled with traps, where you very rarely receive a boost and very often, if you don't know the traps, make your players into nervous wrecks or complacent scoundrels. Perhaps best to delegate that to the ass man, unless you want to spend the time trying to understand that. Team-talks are extremly important and that is something you'd be better off trying to understand.

As for tactics, if you have a close look you can probably see immediately if something works or not. Realize that fluidity makes a difference, but not to a large degree. Some things are situational, like a striker having an off day, or a defender making mistakes... those things are usually down to moral, team talk, form, complacency or pressure.

And other things are situational in the sense of your teams form, the other teams form, odds, home/away, tactic vs tactic and probably lots of other stuff. Basically if you want to play the same way every game and win every time you need a tactic that exploit the match engine. If you don't have that, you should try to adapt to each game.

But back to the point... if you look at a match or two with extended or comprehensive highlights in 2D-mode you will easily notice patterns, such as where the other team is finding space and breaking through, and where you are successful or perhaps more importantly where your build-up play is failing. Some things are not obvious from the stats, but will be easily visible in highlights. If you make a tactic where every player in possession have passing options close by, then you are doing things right. So i.e be careful to use an appropriate max of defensive, supportive and attacking roles.

• Like 1

http://imgur.com/gVyGwqL

The game is broken...... Gabby planning to become a Director of Football......

I'm at January in my first season on the game with Villa. Currently top by 5 points from QPR. Kodjia has 23 league goals already.

Have sold Grealish, Kozak, Westwood, Gestede, Hutton, Cissokho, and Adomah (i'm not playing with wingers), and I've bought in Clough and Dozzell. I'm a bit threadbare squad wise, but I don't want to waste the money i've bought in on players who won't do a job in the Prem later. 

I'm playing a narrow 433 (Gollini, De Laet, Chester, Elphick, Amavi, Gardner, Jedinak, Tshibola, McCormack, Kodjia, Ayew)

I've got the premier league by the bollocks now. Completing 750-800 passes per game and just running away with it. Just started a game with Tamworth using the same tactics and i'm destroying the league. The CPU don't know how to deal with this Barca style football in the Vanarama leagues lol.

23 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I've got the premier league by the bollocks now. Completing 750-800 passes per game and just running away with it. Just started a game with Tamworth using the same tactics and i'm destroying the league. The CPU don't know how to deal with this Barca style football in the Vanarama leagues lol.

I don't get how you can be so good?

Couple of questions....

1. ) Do you use the same tactics every match you play or do you change depending on opposition or home/away?

2. ) Do you set individual instructions for all players?

3. ) Do you change the in game tactics whilst analysing a game?

4. ) When in a match, do you watch 2D or 3D, full game or just highlights? 

1.) I have a home tactic which players a high line and set to standard and away tactic with deeper line and set to control.

2.) Yes, every player has individual instructions, i also set instructions on the opponents players.

3.) Not really. I will only change mid game for red cards or if i'm having a real poor game.

4.) 2D with extended highlights in 3D

Edited by Daniel

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I play like that too, but I'm shite at it :lol: 

It's not just you mate, I'm currently on the verge of being sacked with Villa in January of the first season.

Only 9 points off top so can't really understand it myself. Forgot about ACON and have no transfer budget to replace my players due to FFP so I'll be looking for a job in the lower leagues this evening I imagine!

I find attacking 4-2-3-1 worked well with my Arsenal save, high defensive line, retain possession, freedom to express.

Runner up in the Champions League and won the Premiership by scoring over 100 goals (Dybala scored 50 odd), I did let in about 60 odd though. Basically blew everyone out of the water.

It came out last friday, it has taken me a week to do season 1 and get through preseason  for season2. I'm Millwall.

Won League One... had no money had minimal wages budget, strung together a few frees and loans. Most of my team were on 2017 expiring contracts, and 80% of squad wasnt worth retaining, or if they did they wanted crazy money to stay, relative to the zero budget i had. so.... july came, they left, and mid Aug i have signed 19 players... only one for a fee, ENZO ZIDANE... nothing great but to have the great mans son as my AMC , loving it. £250,000 from Real Madrid. Oh signed a "statted" 16 year old striker from Exeter for 85k too who looks good. Other than that, frees, loans.... It has taken a day's play to get through pre season... heading into preseason fixtures with a squad of about 7 first team players.... was panic time.

i love the initial struggles of the lower leagues. albeit, was League One, not as low as Vanarama etc.

Edited by Midfielder

On 11/4/2016 at 21:23, Midfielder said:

Roll call update.

Godspeed, brothers.

• Midfielder
  • DK82
  • Tarjei
  • Daniel
  • V01
  • SexBelowSound
  • AVFC96
  • Villa4Europe
  • Villaphan04
  • Wilko154
  • Dirk
  • Trentvilla
  • RDS1983
  • Wilko154
  • Pieface
  • Jenko#4
  • Raver50032
  • Nicho
  • Daft
  • Paddywhack
  • Bobzy

3 hours ago, Midfielder said:

It came out last friday, it has taken me a week to do season 1 and get through preseason  for season2. I'm Millwall.

Won League One... had no money had minimal wages budget, strung together a few frees and loans. Most of my team were on 2017 expiring contracts, and 80% of squad wasnt worth retaining, or if they did they wanted crazy money to stay, relative to the zero budget i had. so.... july came, they left, and mid Aug i have signed 19 players... only one for a fee, ENZO ZIDANE... nothing great but to have the great mans son as my AMC , loving it. £250,000 from Real Madrid. Oh signed a "statted" 16 year old striker from Exeter for 85k too who looks good. Other than that, frees, loans.... It has taken a day's play to get through pre season... heading into preseason fixtures with a squad of about 7 first team players.... was panic time.

i love the initial struggles of the lower leagues. albeit, was League One, not as low as Vanarama etc.

Yeah, when you can get invested in a challenging long term project on FM it's the best experience the game can offer IMO. I'm pondering whether I should start with English lower league or do something I haven't done, like managing in the Czech or Polish league.

1 minute ago, tarjei said:

Yeah, when you can get invested in a challenging long term project on FM it's the best experience the game can offer IMO. I'm pondering whether I should start with English lower league or do something I haven't done, like managing in the Czech or Polish league.

It sure is. I sometimes do a team hopping save game, but most often stick to "club for life" saves. The way i see it, there's these stages:

season 1, go with what you have, apply a few band aid signings, try to sell some turds for cash and reinvest it. Usually, this doesnt amount to fees to spend on transfer fees, more so is increasing the wage budget, in order to get more players in. It is a complex and beautifully painful thing in that first season to have no money, no wages available, and having to try get staff and players in. it is a real painful struggle. 46 league games, league cup, fa cup, BLOODY CHECKATRADE TROPHY i hate that damn thing. Amounts to three thousand matches in one season.

season 2, have been promoted to Championship and be real contender to go down, as you have a team that is without doubt, shit. So in that season 2, it is all about staying afloat. and then... the turning point in the save game. By now, you might have about a mill or two in the bank. And it is regen time. Some cheap youngsters, but, come Dec 31st of season 2, its foreign free transfer time (contracts expiring in under 6 months etc). And in this period, placing bids and enquiries for a few dozen players, and that ONE or maybe TWO agree to come! Then consolidate in the Championship, stay up, and then comes ,...

Season 3- and in this preseason, you scrape up some released ex-prem players.... add to the ones you kept from last season... add your foreign frees, and similarly who have expired contracts and found no club is jumping at them, or you beat off rivals to sign.... and then assemble this magical.... Championship squad... that while the season expectations are battle bravely against relegation, you win the division or go up in playoffs.

Season 4- Might be a repeat of Season 3, maybe. Foreign affiliate to get some kids their EU passports!

Season 5. By now, that first season in the premiership. by now youve sold many players for 2 mill 3 mill a pop who arent even worth it. prob have about 10m, aaaaaaaaaand your board gives you that money back to spend... maybe with a couple mill added, but...................... they have been generous with the wages and you adjust budgets to allocate more to transfers. BAM. now comes that Argentinian regen from Boca (who amazingly has dual citizxenship) and comes for 10k a week and a 4m fee, and that Italian DMC who is transfer listed by Genoa... etcetcetc you know how it goes..... THAT first season in the PRem, when you have got your little tinpot outfit into the prem, is amazing. i love it. When you've got nothing to lose, snap up some amazing prospects and go all out... picking up points here and there, and declaring... we're Premiership now.... AND SO IT BEGINS FOR REAL NOW

• Like 3

Â