PieFacE

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

I dont think they strengthened what they needed to though. Xhaka for all his faults is a better footballer at controlling a game than Rice and no surprise his new team are flying high. They also needed a new striker which they didnt get, Jesus or Nketiah wont get 20 goals a season

The keeper situation is a bit bizarre. I dont think Raya or Ramsdale are overall better than each other but it was a bad move to try to have 2 similar level keepers and was more Arteta thinking he was clever

Rice has been generally good. You cant strengthen everywhere all in one season. Raya, Timber, Rice and Havertz seemed to strengthen the spine of the team.

Two big mistakes that they have made is making Raya number one and signing Havertz. Ramsdale is a better a keeper and more importantly his personality made a difference.Havertz has been terrible for his whole  time in the premier league I have no idea what he is or where he fits in any team. They definately could have got Maddison over Tottenham. 

As for a striker Balogun should have been kept and Toney has to be the one for them, Watkins could also have been that man. 

Timber was the CB they needed to push them over the line last season, their defence for the run in was shocking

Havertz is OK but he's a system player and it's been that long since his good leverkusen days I'm not even sure what that system is anymore

Agree that xhaka was more the arsenal way than rice but the arsenal way hadn't worked for years so can see why they'd change tact

Striker nkeitah is tosh, I'd have duran over him, I'm guessing they sold Balogun because they needed the money and there's no market for nkeitah

The surprise for me listening to a bit yesterday was the commentator kept saying arsenal played the most diagonal balls in the league (unless I lost that in translation and it was actually Newcastle) but then they don't play proper wing backs so that's saka dropping deeper for the ball rather than pushing up, white and tomiyasu played wing backs yesterday but didn't really, they were everywhere but wing back

5 hours ago, Pinebro said:

If they have strenghened it's strange that they looked so much better last season.

Don't think Saka has got anywhere near the level he was 12 months back when he was one of the best counter attacking forwards in world football.

Don't get the Raya thing either but defensively they've looked very good so far. Also thought Rice ran the midfield for an hour yesterday. Issue was Havertz attempting (and that's being kind to him) what Odegaard does and he didn't come close and really should've been sent off. Nketieh is a bit of a tap in merchant to me who can press o.k so not really good enough to make an attempt in these fixtures compared to Sheffield United at home.

They'll still finish comfortably in the top 4.

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I don't see the loving with Rice, okay he scores the odd goal, but he's just like a old skool sweeper, I wouldn't even say he's as good as Luiz.

He wasn't signed for 100m to do the things Bellingham is doing for Real Madrid.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Havert and jorginho have been poor signings no idea what they were thinking with signing those two

Arsenal seem to have this weird obsession with signing past it Chelsea players. Those two and Cech, David Luiz and Willian all signed when they were in semi retirement after winning endless stuff at Chelsea.

Havertz deal certainly has the scent of helping out another Super league splitter with their FFP issues dosen't it?

• Like 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

But does them at a far lower level.

It's that British thing though isn't it? Any decent CM has to be a goalscoring box to box colossus like Gerrard, Lampard and Bryan Robson, winning the ball on the edge of their box then making a lung busting run and scoring at the other end within 10 seconds.

Kante scored on average one goal a season but was world class in all other aspects of midfield player. Modric scores a couple a season but again what he does in other areas is exceptional so those are the players Rice should be looking to emulate in next 5 years.

If you want more creativity you look to Jorginho alongside him who eventually proved himself at Chelsea but is just too old now and Havertz who will flatter to deceive just as much as he has for last three years. Fabio Vieria pretty average aswell so Odegaard is as important to them as Saka is in controlling the tempo and treading clever passes through.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's that British thing though isn't it? Any decent CM has to be a goalscoring box to box colossus like Gerrard, Lampard and Bryan Robson, winning the ball on the edge of their box then making a lung busting run and scoring at the other end within 10 seconds.

Kante scored on average one goal a season but was world class in all other aspects of midfield player. Modric scores a couple a season but again what he does in other areas is exceptional so those are the players Rice should be looking to emulate in next 5 years.

If you want more creativity you look to Jorginho alongside him who eventually proved himself at Chelsea but is just too old now and Havertz who will flatter to deceive just as much as he has for last three years. Fabio Vieria pretty average aswell so Odegaard is as important to them as Saka is in controlling the tempo and treading clever passes through.

Is he any better than Luiz, or put it another way, would you swap him. I know my answer.

They absolutely do not consider ollie as a good enough striker for them, I can see why aswell, he misses too many chances and in that respect is like nketiah. You have to remember when arsenal fans think of striker they are expecting one of the caliber of Henry, anelka, RVP etc. Ollie is good but will frustrate the hell out of their fanbase and most of them do categorically not want him as their striker 

Cracks me up when the media talk about the situation with there keepers, who is best, Ramsey should be number one, blah blah. Never even mentioning, they got rid of one of the best keepers they ever had in our man Emi. No one likes to talk about there ex keeper, has now won a world cup with various awards following.

4 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

They absolutely do not consider ollie as a good enough striker for them, I can see why aswell, he misses too many chances and in that respect is like nketiah. You have to remember when arsenal fans think of striker they are expecting one of the caliber of Henry, anelka, RVP etc. Ollie is good but will frustrate the hell out of their fanbase and most of them do categorically not want him as their striker 

The thing being I think Ollie has enough of a presence up top that he can impact a defence and bring their other attacking players in to play, they don't need a 30 goal a season striker to get better, stick Ollie in there and he'll start to occupy the 2 CBs and pull them wide (kw) and stretch them, the likes of jesus, havertz and martinelli then benefit from the space and his work rate, he's a big part of why villa are full of goals even if he's missing chances and not breaking records himself

Nkeitah is just a body

He'd massively improve them

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The thing being I think Ollie has enough of a presence up top that he can impact a defence and bring their other attacking players in to play, they don't need a 30 goal a season striker to get better, stick Ollie in there and he'll start to occupy the 2 CBs and pull them wide (kw) and stretch them, the likes of jesus, havertz and martinelli then benefit from the space and his work rate, he's a big part of why villa are full of goals even if he's missing chances and not breaking records himself

Nkeitah is just a body

He'd massively improve them

He’d improve them sure, but most of them don’t see ollie as being much better than Jesus. They want a big name and they don’t see ollie as that name. However they would be more than happy with him as a squad option. I’ve got a lot of arsenal supporting friends nd family and that’s their view, they see themselves as too big a club for players like ollie

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Is he any better than Luiz, or put it another way, would you swap him. I know my answer.

Rice is closer in style to Kamara as his main strength is positioning himself Infront of back 4 and snuffing out dangerous passes.

Probably dosen't help his cause endless pundits in media claim he should be played further forward as he'd then score 10 a season (not sure what this is based on).

He's doing fine at Arsenal so far and played well in the big games which is what he'll be judged on. They have issues in other areas of the pitch.

Â