PieFacE

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Saka drives me insane, such a child when things aren't going his way, I also mentioned it in the match thread, screams like he's had a leg breaker then gets up and runs off normal, well as normal as he can with that bow legged walk he does. 😆

That one where Luiz got a yellow: the commentators on my stream talked about a clear foul and "lets watch the replay"

There was no contact, he simply went down because he lost the ball, Gillet bought it and booked Luiz for "kicking the ball away".

Silence from both the commentators during the replay. He's a protected species on and off the pitch.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

That one where Luiz got a yellow: the commentators on my stream talked about a clear foul and "lets watch the replay"

There was no contact, he simply went down because he lost the ball, Gillet bought it and booked Luiz for "kicking the ball away".

Silence from both the commentators during the replay. He's a protected species on and off the pitch.

A few mins later Saka failed to get a corner off us and kicked the ball away in frustration, nothing from the Ref

• Like 1

I've seen the argument from Arsenal fans that Palace got a penalty (via VAR) for a similar foul against Liverpool, but that one was way more of penalty IMO: Mateta nicks the ball away and the defender, running in from a different direction, kicks his legs out from under him (Mateta's whole body goes sideways while in the air). Jesus in comparison tried to make the most of minimal contact. But anything to add to the conspiracy theory that PGMOL has it in for Arsenal, I guess...

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

18 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I've seen the argument from Arsenal fans that Palace got a penalty (via VAR) for a similar foul against Liverpool, but that one was way more of penalty IMO: Mateta nicks the ball away and the defender, running in from a different direction, kicks his legs out from under him (Mateta's whole body goes sideways while in the air). Jesus in comparison tried to make the most of minimal contact. But anything to add to the conspiracy theory that PGMOL has it in for Arsenal, I guess...

The common sense question should always be how has he ended up on the floor, correlation between the contact and the fall

I can see it with palace, I can see how the contact on his left leg caused it to clatter in to his right and at that speed I can see how he ended ho where he ended up 

a kick on the back of a raised leg does not result in hitting the turf, especially not with a twist in the body, his standing leg should be perfectly fine, there's not even even contact for him to go down after clutching his leg in pain 

It's still a contact sport 

• Like 2

On 10/12/2023 at 08:59, Greenfly said:

I thought Spurs fans were whiny little crybabies, but Jesus Christ, Arsenal fans are making them look totally reasonable. Must be something about North London.

I think it is a London thing in general. It's OK as a tourist, but I hate working there. Any interaction you have in London is so confrontational, selfish and self righteous. I went into a B&Q (other hardware stores are available) in London once, and they were a little (not massively) short staffed, leading people to wait about 1 minute for a till. I swear there was nearly a fist fight. I've never heard anyone screaming at a checkout worker so aggressively in my life. There was very nearly a fist fight. Over a 1 minute  delay.

The driving there sums it up too. No patience at all. Every spare space will be driven into immediately even if it means causing gridlock. It's always me, me, me. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The common sense question should always be how has he ended up on the floor, correlation between the contact and the fall

I can see it with palace, I can see how the contact on his left leg caused it to clatter in to his right and at that speed I can see how he ended ho where he ended up 

a kick on the back of a raised leg does not result in hitting the turf, especially not with a twist in the body, his standing leg should be perfectly fine, there's not even even contact for him to go down after clutching his leg in pain 

It's still a contact sport 

Exactly. And they seemed to have got this nailed (perhaps too far in the other direction) for non-penalty fouls. But whenever it's in the area, ANY contact is deemed a pen.

It's mad (and I said it in another thread) that Gillett reffed that game incredibly loosely for both teams, then he's expected to undo all of that at a key moment because of a minor tap that didn't even cause the fall.

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

I think it is a London thing in general. It's OK as a tourist, but I hate working there. Any interaction you have in London is so confrontational, selfish and self righteous. I went into a B&Q (other hardware stores are available) in London once, and they were a little (not massively) short staffed, leading people to wait about 1 minute for a till. I swear there was nearly a fist fight. I've never heard anyone screaming at a checkout worker so aggressively in my life. There was very nearly a fist fight. Over a 1 minute  delay.

The driving there sums it up too. No patience at all. Every spare space will be driven into immediately even if it means causing gridlock. It's always me, me, me. 

Could be something in this but I know Arsenal fans that aren’t from London who are just as bad. I’m putting it down to them being a very well supported club so it’s inevitable they will attract their fair share of morons. 

The Athletic have done an article on why the disallowing the Arsenal goal was the correct decision, with the last bullet point being relevant. 

The rules state, “It is an offence if a player:
  • deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball
  • touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised
  • scores in the opponents’ goal:
    • directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper
    • immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental.”

https://archive.is/gF52U

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was at the game, and arsenal had plenty of genuine chances to score but didn't and just seem to rely on shirt tugging to stop our players, diving*, and play acting...

* I know it was a windy night on Saturday night but didn't think it was that strong enough to keep blowing the arsenal players over....

Saka, first time I have ever seen him play to be honest, what a cheating, whinging, whining little sod he is.....worse than the cheating master Kane in my book.

We got the result, they didn't and they kept resorting to the standard "sky scum 6" tactics i.e. cheat their way to victory and this time the referee saw sense and did not fall for it....although he was a little inconsistent with he decision making esp in the second half.

All my arsenal colleagues at work are moaning about being robbed, poor Saka being constantly fouled, ref was their 12 man etc etc etc....suck it up cockney gooners!

"Saka was clearly onside " is a new one, "there is no evidence at all from any of the replays that the ball touched Havertz' hand at any point" was a bizarre talking point from yesterday, especially after watching MOTD again. "the ref was 30 yards away and couldn't possibly see the thing he blew immediately for, he just guessed because PGMOL is engaged in a shadow war with the Arsenal" is a related derangement

Honestly the biggest issue I could see, allowing that the pen shout was a seen em given seen em not one, was the Carlos elbow/forearm on Nketiah which looked dodgy as **** on the replay, as was the bizarre mechanism by which he was somehow awarded a yellow by the ref that was visibly looking at something else when it happened

• Like 1

But now I've seen the argument that it was nkeitah who scored so that rule doesn't matter anyway 

Does seem weird the lengths they're going to to try and argue against this, cash handballed it first, havertz didn't handball it, havertz handballed it accidentally, nkeitah scored... It's not a hard decision to make yet they've got it up there with who shot JFK 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

I need more of this please. Every salty Arsenal fan. I see why they capitulated versus Manchester City last year. Soft little club. 

I've just gone on Youtube to watch some highlights from Arsenal fan watchalongs but then Mark Goldbridge's highlights from Saturday came up so I'll have to watch that first.

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But now I've seen the argument that it was nkeitah who scored so that rule doesn't matter anyway 

Does seem weird the lengths they're going to to try and argue against this, cash handballed it first, havertz didn't handball it, havertz handballed it accidentally, nkeitah scored... It's not a hard decision to make yet they've got it up there with who shot JFK 

Also from the ESPN article linked above ESPN on VAR from the weekend - Just show the gooners this

"If Eddie Nketiah had been the scorer the goal would count, as Havertz's accidental handball would be irrelevant -- but it was clearly scored by the latter."

Nketiah didn't tuck it in, you can tell by how Havertz wheels away celebrating and Nketiah doesn't that it was Havertz who put the ball in the net.

16 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Also from the ESPN article linked above ESPN on VAR from the weekend - Just show the gooners this

"If Eddie Nketiah had been the scorer the goal would count, as Havertz's accidental handball would be irrelevant -- but it was clearly scored by the latter."

Nketiah didn't tuck it in, you can tell by how Havertz wheels away celebrating and Nketiah doesn't that it was Havertz who put the ball in the net.

I think out of the 3 (?) times it touches Havertz's arm there's one of them where his arm was actually out and it was no longer in a natural position anyway 

• Like 1

Â