PieFacE

22 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

There's an interesting chicken-and-egg aspect to this, though - does being a dickhead make you a better manager, or does success make other people more likely to perceive you as a dickhead?

100% the latter. We just hate winners in this country for some reason. It’s the same across all sports.

everyone loved Tim Henman but hated Murray, everyone loved Button but hated Hamilton. Every top 4 manager is a knob and every player a horrible word removed. Honestly it’s embarrassing at times.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

So basically the entire top 4 apart from Emery 😂. Kind of proving my point.

Ange seems a decent guy too. 2 of them are consistently bullying officials and another is a convicted drugs cheat

Thats not a winners attitude

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s certainly not unique to Villa fans or football fans in general, but people do seem to go out of their way to find reasons to hate other managers / players.

I’m sure if Emery had had any success at Arsenal we’d have a thread full of people sneering at him for some reason or other.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Get the **** out of it, TAA missed, rice did absolutely nothing 

FB_IMG_1703588103550.jpg

That's an insane poster. Rice is a very good footballer, but he isn't a collosus that could or did anything about this...

3 minutes ago, Dale said:

That's an insane poster. Rice is a very good footballer, but he isn't a collosus that could or did anything about this...

You can maybe at a push say one thing, that he dropped so deep that salah ended up setting up a one touch finish opportunity whereas if he presses earlier TAA gets 2 or 3 touches to settle before picking a finish

But TAA missed, make no doubt about it, it was a miss, it was not a Maldini esque defensive masterclass, it was blind luck from Arsenal 

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

FB_IMG_1703588103550.jpg

The whole narrative around rice has become silly. Arsenal were statistically better last season at this point and their only big money addition has been rice so why haven’t they’re significantly improved? He’s not performing badly by any means but £100m should be getting you a player that transformatively improves your team (a la Van Dijk at Liverpool) and he simply hasn’t done that 

• Like 1

Overhyped jndeed, If Arsenal win tomorrow they will be 1 point less than they were last season, how is this progress and what more has he contributed, they even lost to Aston Villa with him this season. 😉

I wouldn't swap him for Dougie, not a chance.

15 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Rice is elite level for interceptions and decent-good in most other respects. I do think there's an amount of overhype due to him being English and having a distinctive running style when he carries the ball forward. 

Id be interested in his carries and forward passing stats

Seems weird to me that arsenal for so long had a ball player in there rather than a ball winner and now they've changed to the ball winner, rice is better than xhaka and partey imo and it's not really even that close... But I'm still not convinced rice is the man that you want taking 80+ touches a game

He's good enough to make them better and make them different to something that wasn't working

But the real big teams don't play declan rice at DMC, a few (bayern) might have eyed him up as a CB

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

FB_IMG_1703588103550.jpg

Reminds me of the Simpson episode with the heroic carbon rod.

In this instance that rod of a crossbar should have been the hero, not Rice. He just happens to be part of the picture.

Embarrassing stuff really

Edited by HongKongVillan

47 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

The whole narrative around rice has become silly. Arsenal were statistically better last season at this point and their only big money addition has been rice so why haven’t they’re significantly improved? He’s not performing badly by any means but £100m should be getting you a player that transformatively improves your team (a la Van Dijk at Liverpool) and he simply hasn’t done that 

If they win the league they will consider it a bargain. 

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

No one else will.

No I think they will... 

I thought timber was going to be the bigger signing as their defence during the run in was laughable 

Still think the biggest thing they needed and still need is an out and out striker, £100m striker would have made a bigger impact 

• Like 2

Â