UKIP/Reform NF Ltd and their non-racist well informed supporters

chrisp65

• 2 weeks later...

The Conservatives have retained the seat of Southend West in a parliamentary by-election prompted by the fatal stabbing of MP Sir David Amess.

Anna Firth won with 12,792 votes in a contest that saw a low turnout of 24%.

The election was not contested by Labour, the Liberal Democrats or the Greens.

Jason Pilley of the Psychedelic Movement came second with 512 votes. UKIP's Steve Laws was third with 400.

BBC

This is it.

The ascension of UK DMT politics has started.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm afraid the bad news about the 'Psychedelic Movement' is that the guy is another far-rightist, just a bit different in that he wants to legalise some drugs:

In addition to this desire to see Yaxley-Lennon in ermine, he also had some quite bigoted comments about Muslims I saw this morning (sadly can't locate the tweet now).

The whole thing is depressing. Effectively the ballot simply consisted of the Conservatives, and then every different flavour of lunatic too right-wing for the Conservatives, from the dope-smoking racist to UKIP to the hang-'em-and-flog-'em types (the Heritage Party) to the QAnon believer (Graham Moore) to the actual fash (Jayda Fransen). This is a miserable prospectus. Essentially, the reasonable people stand aside in the name of decency and the gap is filled with the foul, shameless and indecent.

I can understand the desire not to have a competitive by-election after an MP is murdered. I think this ballot is a pretty strong argument against it, but if MPs want to continue it, then it would frankly be better to have a new rule or norm or whatever that there is no competitive by-election if an MP is murdered (or dies another form of violent death), and that their party chooses a successor. It's hard to see the value in any sense in what was put to the voters in Southend yesterday.

guess thats why only 24% voted. hopefully the few that voted for the psychedelic party are the ones that just thought the name was funny or stopped reading at "legalise drugs"

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

guess thats why only 24% voted. hopefully the few that voted for the psychedelic party are the ones that just thought the name was funny or stopped reading at "legalise drugs"

I'm sure that's the case. Most political commentators don't seem to have realised either, hence a load of twee tweets from lobby types this morning about how great it was that Fransen finished significantly behind him. And while on one level it's disappointing that people paid to pay attention to politics weren't paying attention, it wouldn't matter if the main parties actually competed.

EDIT: I meant to add, further to your turnout point, that that should be another warning about these non-competitive elections. In this case it would have been far from mattering, but you could imagine a scenario where a very locally-unpopular MP from a party doing very badly in the polls is murdered, and then the far right manage to organise themselves to run a unity candidate, and that could end with them actually winning. I'm not somebody who thinks electoral systems need to be designed around the imperative of keeping the far right from ever winning (it's essentially guaranteed they'll win sometimes under PR for instance), but it is another disadvantage of the current system of 'competitive elections but only for the fash'.

Edited by HanoiVillan

The 24% turn out includes the vote that actually came second, the spoiled ballot.

Over 1,000 people went to the polls to register a ‘none of the above’ vote.

They need to start correct reporting:

1st - no show

2nd - tory (elected)

3rd - spoiled paper 

4th - hippy

Incidentally, I’d sort of presumed that if he was a hippy there was a good chance he was a bit of a righty tighty, they usually are, it’s just dressed up in yoga and surfing and drug taking, as long as it isn’t drugs from a qualified source, like that racist smackhead from Cream that doesn’t like vaccines. The whole hippy movement is far more right wing than people give it credit for.

• Like 2

I found the tweet:

For those who don't want to click through, the bit on putting Yaxley-Lennon in the HoL from Hope Not Hate is correct - the manifesto says 'Stick Stephen Yaxley-Lennon in the House of Lords to make up for all the lies that have been told about him. "We would rather stand with one proud black patriot than a hundred scumbag racists, that's where we stand" - Tommy Robinson'. The tweeters interpretation of the McCartney thing seems to be the wrong way round, as it says 'We will open cannabis cafes and LSD clubs around Southend. Using the resources of the State to criminalise the Paul McCartney's of this world + crush the "Peace & Love" Sixties has been utterly destructive to Society'. Sorry @bickster, it turns out he doesn't even want to put McCartney in jail.

On a side note, this guy looks like he's in his late twenties. Why is his key cultural touchstone the popular culture of 55 years ago? The way boomers bang on about the sixties has so much to answer for.

Edited by HanoiVillan

39 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Putting this here as this "freedom convoy" has nothing to do with Covid-19 at this stage.

Not pleasant scenes regardless of your opinions on Keir Starmer.

This should be in the Tory thread. Johnson is following the Trump playbook. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

40% for Le Pen is concerning, but only 3 presidents have been re-elected in France since the 50s, they don't tend to give the incumbent another chance

Last time she got 32%, her dad back in 2002 got 18%

2027 should be fun.

Â