International Football General Chat

villa4europe

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Speaking of France, Benzema found guilty of attempted blackmail, gets one year suspended sentence

What a word removed. 

Shitting in people's mouths would be an improvement for him.

Infantino saying that those opposed to a biennial World Cup are “afraid of change”.

Tbh, a biennial World Cup would be the end of my interest in international football. Totally takes away how special the tournament is and feels. Would just be a pointless money spinning and sponsorship exercise that I would not be interested in watching. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Infantino saying that those opposed to a biennial World Cup are “afraid of change”.

Tbh, a biennial World Cup would be the end of my interest in international football. Totally takes away how special the tournament is and feels. Would just be a pointless money spinning and sponsorship exercise that I would not be interested in watching. 

They will split up the major countries as well. Nobody can play 2 in a row

Brazil will be chuffed to hear that 🙄

45 minutes ago, Spoony said:

It's literally someone asking me to chop my balls off and questioning my courage if I refuse.

He is a top official, not a scaremongering teenager on twitter.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Canada are so close to qualifying for the World Cup, need 5 points from the last games

Tidy little team. Not just Alphonso Davies either. More to them than that. He didn’t even play last 2 games. USA are a shit show though. Rubbish manager. Players they have and the clubs they playing at.

12 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Tidy little team. Not just Alphonso Davies either. More to them than that. He didn’t even play last 2 games. USA are a shit show though. Rubbish manager. Players they have and the clubs they playing at.

Yeah they have decent strikers like Jonathan David and Larin who's started to do alright in european football.

Doubt they'll get through the group in Qatar but can certainly see them using that experience to make impact in 2026 when they'll be hosting some games.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah they have decent strikers like Jonathan David and Larin who's started to do alright in european football.

Doubt they'll get through the group in Qatar but can certainly see them using that experience to make impact in 2026 when they'll be hosting some games.

When you consider they failed to reach the last round of qualifying since the qualifiers for France ‘98, this is a remarkable achievement. 

• 1 month later...

They are putting quite the team together.  The Geordie bloke they have in charge (John Herdman) seems to know exactly what he’s doing. I’m sure he’ll get some big offers after the World Cup, let’s hope Canada have put some systems in place to sustain the progress if/when he does move on.  

Yeah it's probably most interesting story around in international football, always nice when we get 1-2 new teams at world cups rather than same nations from all continents.

As Rev says above they have some very decent players.....Alphonse Davies, Larin and Jonathan David all good in europe, Holliet had some good spells of form in premier league and made up for Atiba Hutchinson who's been a solid player for PSV and Besiktas over last decade and will play in world cup at nearly 40.

Depends on draw but they won't be whipping boys unlike say Panama at last world cup from Concacaf although will use this tournament more for experience and have a better go in 2026 which will be very exciting with them hosting games.

• Like 1

Â