International Football General Chat

villa4europe

40 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Ireland are going to be what Scotland have been for the last 20 years. There's no talent there and what talent there was, has gone to play for England. I doubt they will qualify for another major tournament for at least a decade.

TBF most of those people were born and raised in England.   The Irish policy of aggressively courting younger players with Irish heritage from elsewhere in the UK and hoping they'd play for the boys in green always struck me as building an empire on sand.  A country like Ireland should be producing better players than it does, football is part of the culture and while the domestic league isn't great there should be enough money around to raise players better than they have been of late. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think its in the rules you have to take 3 keepers

Thank you. That was precisely my reaction. "Don't you have to take three keepers?" Otherwise, everybody would take two keepers and Phil Jagielka.

23 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

TBF most of those people were born and raised in England.   The Irish policy of aggressively courting younger players with Irish heritage from elsewhere in the UK and hoping they'd play for the boys in green always struck me as building an empire on sand.  A country like Ireland should be producing better players than it does, football is part of the culture and while the domestic league isn't great there should be enough money around to raise players better than they have been of late. 

Football is part of the culture but its still behind Gaelic Sports outside of Dublin and recently rugby has had a surge in popularity. The national league is incredibly low down the sporting priority though I think a larger portion of players in the current squad have played in the league. The problem is the FAI took advantage of the granny rule and didnt build on the potential. There has been a new board who are hoping to make things better and they are hoping Brexit might help them as either English clubs might be forced to use Irish players again or that younger players will have the option of going to other countries to develop like Belgium or Netherlands. It hasnt helped Kenny that he wants to stop playing hoofball and fans want that brought back already

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It definitely looks in, I dont think they are using goal line technology in the qualifiers

I suppose if Serbis qualify the commentators will just keep mentioning this goal in every game they play since they always go on about Nyland

38 minutes ago, sne said:

640@60.jpg

Looks just about over but there's millimetres in it, the ball could be *just* on the line.

Either way, ridiculous for Ronaldo to lose his head like that when the ball was still in play. Not just in play, but within a few feet of him and he wasn't interested.

Kosovo GK Arijanet Muric (Man City on loan at Willem II) sent home for turning up drunk at the team meeting and then visibly hung over at practice the next day.

What a bell end.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Kosovo GK Arijanet Muric (Man City on loan at Willem II) sent home for turning up drunk at the team meeting and then visibly hung over at practice the next day.

What a bell end.

Well, one normally follows the other.....

2 hours ago, sne said:

What a bell end.

An absolute fool. He's been terrible every time he's appeared for City as well, don't think he's going to be going as far as he should in his career.

3 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Playing Albania and Southgate picks two defensive midfielders in Rice and Phillips to start 🙄

Just saw that, **** ridiculous. A golden age of attacking talent and he does this 😡

• Like 1

I'm so happy for Phillips getting these starts after all the shit he got for making his debut in the championship but how is he starting alongside Rice in this system?

Doesn't do either player any favours. If Henderson doesn't make the Euros squad is this the plan? 

To be fair if he plays Phillips box to box rather than an out and out holding midfielder then I think that's the midfield 3 likely to start the euros so get them together now

The main thing is 4 at the back 

I think 8 of this 11 start the euros, walker, Shaw and popes places will be up for grabs 

Edited by villa4europe

Southgate is what will stop this crop of players winning anything with his poor team selections. 

Albania aren't exactly what you'd call a test. Even with a team of Championship players I'd expect us to beat them. Should of gone 3-4-3 and get as many of our attacking players involved as possible. 

And Maguire 🤣🤣

Edited by UpTheVilla26

Â