International Football General Chat

villa4europe

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

The increased the squad size to allow for it

I'm sure it used to be 21 man squad and now it's 23 but has to have 3 keepers 

Yeah, it's basically a 22 man squad so you have 2 players for every position and then a back up reserve keeper as a bonus. It's like that as there would be uproar/big media coverage in the (very unlikely) scenario that one of the teams in the final (say France) injured both their keepers in the run up and had to play a defender or someone in goal and people would say it was a worthless final and the other team only won by default (a bit like that great big asterisk next to Liverpool's title win or Leeds promotion due to covid). 

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

dreadful from Norway, this was a winnable group and getting hammered by Turkey

Not even watching. I won’t be watching the WC regardless, and I’m struggling to muster any enthusiasm for this team even though there are some very talented players in it. 

59 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Gavin Bazunu starting in goal for Ireland, the first teenage goalkeeper to start a Euros qualifier since Jan Oblak. Hopefully he will be a similar level ;) 

Four former Villa players in Ireland’s line up. Ciaran Clark’s passing is still shocking.

13 minutes ago, Enda said:

Four former Villa players in Ireland’s line up. Ciaran Clark’s passing is still shocking.

Conor would have made 5 as well

3 of the 4 were Villa youth players

Edited by Zatman

22 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah you look at the Germany, France, Portugal, Hungary group and think **** yes that's what football should be all about but then known that 3 of them can qualify and think what have they done to the perfect tournament 

Yep and isn't the world cup going to a 48 team competition? That is not a tournament, it is a UN conference.

Luxembourg definitely deserved to win, interesting they have the only player on the pitch to play in the Champions League this season. Dreadful generation for Ireland only Knight, Kelleher and Bazunu look like have potential

Bench of Long, Hendrick, McClean and Brady is not encouraging. Long is the only decent one left

Edited by Zatman

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

This probably beats the 5-2 loss in Cyprus under Staunton just about.

Luxembourg are a tricky enough team out of the smaller nations, I would say beating San Marino 2-1 in the last minute is the worst or Jack Charlton team drawing 0-0 with Liechtenstein

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

Ireland are going to be what Scotland have been for the last 20 years. There's no talent there and what talent there was, has gone to play for England. I doubt they will qualify for another major tournament for at least a decade.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Ireland are going to be what Scotland have been for the last 20 years. There's no talent there and what talent there was, has gone to play for England. I doubt they will qualify for another major tournament for at least a decade.

I have been saying it for a few years, it has been coming due to an inept organisation and is nothing coming through. We are getting what we deserved as nobody took a stand against it

Â