Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

This is bonkers,!!!

I've been reasonably happy with our summer business, we have a good squad. Loaning out a player that before last season every team in this league would bend over backwards to have gotten, banging in goals left, right and centre.

One bad season, a few off the field issues and we are going to loan him to promotion rivals. If he clicks into form he could, along with other reasons why we don't get promoted if we end up not getting promoted.

Selling him I'm fine with but loaning is bonkers

Edited by nick76

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

This is bonkers,!!!

I've been reasonably happy with our summer business, we have a good squad. Loaning out a player that before last season every team in this league would bend over backwards to have gotten, banging in goals left, right and centre.

One bad season, a few off the field issues and we are going to loan him to promotion rivals. If he clicks into form he could, along with other reasons why we don't get promoted if we end up not getting promoted.

Selling him I'm fine with but loaning is bonkers

What, even if we get to swap a player who contributes nothing but aggro for two of the hottest young prospects from Spurs and Liverpool? 

19 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I think we are making a mistake. McCormack looked like one of our better players this preseason. We are giving sunderland a 20+ goal scorer. 

He barely scored at Forest.

Just looks a player completely shot physically and mentally with all his off the field issues.

Don't see the issue, he can't play the two games v us and as we saw at the weekend Sunderland have major dressing room issues so will be a long way off the promotion race.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Sunderland have major dressing room issues so will be a long way off the promotion race.

I think this is why it is a safe punt for us - I mean when you have a dressing room that we know is divided after that brilliant drunk ranting video the other day, who do you think would be best to throw in there? Some strong, selfless leader of men (like JT) who can get them all working together again? Or Ross the gate Mcormack...

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

What, even if we get to swap a player who contributes nothing but aggro for two of the hottest young prospects from Spurs and Liverpool? 

One bad season doesn't make a career.  He's proven before he has ability and scoring record.  I appreciate maybe he goes on loan so we get others instead but allow me until the close of the transfer window before I reflect on that once other moves are made.  I still think this is bonkers

• Like 2

To me it's a bit like when we loaned Darren Bent to Fulham. I think the reaction on here was similar (why are we letting proven striker go to another relegation candidate) but Fulham were in a total mess and don't think they got within 5 points of us all season and Benty only scored 3 or 4 goals all year.

In any case he came back and started featuring for us again the following season.

I don't think it's similar to Bent at all. 'A player not in the managers plans' is about where the similarities end.

McCormack looked like one of the best players on the pitch in one of the pre-season friendlies this year (Shrewsbury, I think it was). No, he didn't score (and neither did anyone else), but he looked like one of our most creative players and one of the few on the pitch who could read the game. He was the only player trying the quick one-two passes and through balls in between defenders.

Admittedly, this was just one game, and also he looked as rusty as possible, but I still saw enough in him for me to want him to be part of the squad this year. He offers a hell of a lot more than Gabby/ Bacuna/ Gardner/ Green/ etc etc.

I think he'll be loaned out in the next few days, and I'm hoping that the main justification won't be 'if he's not in Bruce's plans...', because let's not forget that Bruce has commented on Richards being an option at centre-back if we get some injuries, so his judgement can't always be right.

3 hours ago, Rob182 said:

McCormack looked like one of the best players on the pitch in one of the pre-season friendlies this year (Shrewsbury, I think it was). No, he didn't score (and neither did anyone else), 

Lansbury. Penalty. Pedantic. ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He barely scored at Forest.

Just looks a player completely shot physically and mentally with all his off the field issues.

Don't see the issue, he can't play the two games v us and as we saw at the weekend Sunderland have major dressing room issues so will be a long way off the promotion race.

Again, that was last season. We are all aware that McCormack had off the field issues, but my point is McCormack took Bruce's challenge, came back fit, and looked good in his couple starts. 

It's amazing that Gabby can do nothing for the club in 2 years, but come back and be welcome after 1 goal, but McCormack who had one issue and has actively tried to make things right gets punished. 

1 minute ago, Czechlad said:

Again, that was last season. We are all aware that McCormack had off the field issues, but my point is McCormack took Bruce's challenge, came back fit, and looked good in his couple starts. 

It's amazing that Gabby can do nothing for the club in 2 years, but come back and be welcome after 1 goal, but McCormack who had one issue and has actively tried to make things right gets punished. 

Bit like comparing two complete A holes, where the one who gets picked is the one who at least apologises to the boss for being a nob. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

One bad season doesn't make a career.  He's proven before he has ability and scoring record.  I appreciate maybe he goes on loan so we get others instead but allow me until the close of the transfer window before I reflect on that once other moves are made.  I still think this is bonkers

It does if you're out drinking 7 nights a week

4 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

How has he done that? He went AWOL at Forest for a fortnight

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Bit like comparing two complete A holes, where the one who gets picked is the one who at least apologises to the boss for being a nob. 

Except Gabby was really the only A hole. His actions on and off the field the season we got relegated should have seen his contract shredded.

McCormack suffered from depression apparently. We shouldn't punish a player for having mental health issues. McCormack came back looking very fit, and sharp. 

1 minute ago, mwj said:

How has he done that? He went AWOL at Forest for a fortnight

Has McCormack not showed up to preseason looking fit? He did not complain or say a word all preseason. 

Like I've said numerous times already which everyone seems to ignore, McCormack had his issues last season. He came back and tried to make up for it, but it being pushed out. 

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

I agree with the logic behind your comment here, but it is worth noting that he has never played well in a side that has performed well as a team. He has had a career of scoring heaps of goals in teams built around him, in which those teams did not play well as a unit.

He will never play well for us, as we will not build the team around him.

It's a shame as you can see he has talent, but there's far too many cons to justify keeping him.

3 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Has McCormack not showed up to preseason looking fit? He did not complain or say a word all preseason. 

Like I've said numerous times already which everyone seems to ignore, McCormack had his issues last season. He came back and tried to make up for it, but it being pushed out. 

No idea. Do you know his beep test results then? Turning up to preseason doesn't mean much.

3 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Except Gabby was really the only A hole. His actions on and off the field the season we got relegated should have seen his contract shredded.

McCormack suffered from depression apparently. We shouldn't punish a player for having mental health issues. McCormack came back looking very fit, and sharp. 

Ah come on, it's not depression is it. More like boredom - hence the booze and the new supercar he just picked up. The guy is more likely to drink drive off the road and kill himself, than do anything worthwhile in football again. 

Just now, mwj said:

No idea. Do you know his beep test results then? Turning up to preseason doesn't mean much.

The fact that Bruce praised him in preseason leads me to believe that McCormack came back fit. Plus you could see it. He was thinner. 

1 minute ago, Czechlad said:

The fact that Bruce praised him in preseason leads me to believe that McCormack came back fit. Plus you could see it. He was thinner. 

Perhaps. Pre-season praise in the media is also a pretty good way to clear out dead wood before deadline day. Who knows...

Â