Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

44 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We need to get promoted, we're an injury to kodjia to being a nothing team. Gabby will not score enough and the two youngsters are completely unproven. Hogan is still looking completely useless in a villa shirt. I think it would be a big gamble to lose a striker who could offer big things this year and not try and replace them. 

35 minutes ago, decamoto said:

This isn't a season to gamble. We'd be an injury away from putting our promotion hopes in gabby and unproven youngsters - doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. 

But what you're suggesting is that we sign another proven striker, and firstly we don't seem to have the money for that. Secondly Hogan hasn't had a proper run yet (although I agree he's been quite unconvincing so far). Gabby's had his issues but is a relatively capable and experienced backup.

I doubt a striker of the quality you're suggesting is going to come in just so we're not 'gambling', unless they come in as first choice. That almost casts Hogan out, reduces chances for talented youngsters and potentially unsettles Kodjia.

We'd all love a range of excellent options in every position but realistically it isn't happening. 

13 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

But what you're suggesting is that we sign another proven striker, and firstly we don't seem to have the money for that. Secondly Hogan hasn't had a proper run yet (although I agree he's been quite unconvincing so far). Gabby's had his issues but is a relatively capable and experienced backup.

I doubt a striker of the quality you're suggesting is going to come in just so we're not 'gambling', unless they come in as first choice. That almost casts Hogan out, reduces chances for talented youngsters and potentially unsettles Kodjia.

We'd all love a range of excellent options in every position but realistically it isn't happening. 

But we have McCormack, Hogan and Kodjia so why couldn't we replace one? Why wouldn't someone come in as part of the squad? 

Money is tight but we are moving players out and if we move McCormack on that money could be reinvested as well. 

It's an unnecessary gamble. Either keep him or replace him, to just lose him would be a ridiculous decision 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

But we have McCormack, Hogan and Kodjia so why couldn't we replace one? Why wouldn't someone come in as part of the squad? 

Money is tight but we are moving players out and if we move McCormack on that money could be reinvested as well. 

It's an unnecessary gamble. Either keep him or replace him, to just lose him would be a ridiculous decision 

Agreed. 

Don't want to keep going round in circles but if we did get money for McCormack I can't see it being enough to buy someone better than what we have. Fair enough if you think that means you'd rather he stays. Personally if we get a chance to take his wages off the books for a decent offer we might as well take it if Bruce doesn't think he's up to it. However if he is focused then maybe he could be an asset, as he clearly has ability.

If he does go though I think we still have enough quality up front. Even if we play one up top, we still have decent options to play behind the striker and out wide. We just need to work on creating decent chances and gelling, not bringing even more new players in.

Edited by Troglodyte

54 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

Don't want to keep going round in circles but if we did get money for McCormack I can't see it being enough to buy someone better than what we have. Fair enough if you think that means you'd rather he stays. Personally if we get a chance to take his wages off the books for a decent offer we might as well take it if Bruce doesn't think he's up to it. However if he is focused then maybe he could be an asset, as he clearly has ability.

If he does go though I think we still have enough quality up front. Even if we play one up top, we still have decent options to play behind the striker and out wide. We just need to work on creating decent chances and gelling, not bringing even more new players in.

What advantage is getting his wages off if we fail to gain promotion because we have a couple of injuries? 

It's an unnecessary move. We have 46 games and we need plenty of depth and goals. Relying on Hogan, Gabby and two kids behind kodjia when we don't have to is a stupid gamble for a club that wants automatic promotion. 

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What advantage is getting his wages off if we fail to gain promotion because we have a couple of injuries? 

It's an unnecessary move. We have 46 games and we need plenty of depth and goals. Relying on Hogan, Gabby and two kids behind kodjia when we don't have to is a stupid gamble for a club that wants automatic promotion. 

Well that rather depends on his potential contribution, what if anything we do with those wages and the impact it has on our compliance with FFP.

He has a great record but he was terrible last season for both Villa and Forest. You post above is presuming in the event of an injury he would come in and contribute, I don't think there can be any certainty of that.

You are also assuming, I'm not sure why, that in the event of him going we wouldn't sign someone.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Well that rather depends on his potential contribution, what if anything we do with those wages and the impact it has on our compliance with FFP.

He has a great record but he was terrible last season for both Villa and Forest. You post above is presuming in the event of an injury he would come in and contribute, I don't think there can be any certainty of that.

You are also assuming, I'm not sure why, that in the event of him going we wouldn't sign someone.

My original post said we should bring someone in. I've got no problem with that. I think just getting rid of him would be a daft decision and a gamble

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

£5m+ down the shitter. To go along with the £5m on Tish. To go along with the £5m on Gollini.

Disgusting.

Not even a thing given the money involved in football these days. We go up and then it's £30 mill min for players who could do just the same. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

My original post said we should bring someone in. I've got no problem with that. I think just getting rid of him would be a daft decision and a gamble

So you think we should bring someone in but keep him as well?

48 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Not even a thing given the money involved in football these days. We go up and then it's £30 mill min for players who could do just the same. 

Well I cannot see us going up so yes, it is a big deal to flush money down the drain year after year.

Not sure about Ross being left out. If we go 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 as Bruce seems willing to do then I think Ross and Kodjia would be my preference. Gabby can maybe make an impact off the bench or wide in a 4-3-3. 

Hogan is going to be a disaster again this season, he doesn't do anything and is a massive waste of money. Bruce seems determined to fit him in but he is just piss poor at pretty much everything. Can't lead the line, can't hold the ball up, can't play deep and link the play. You barely notice him

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KHV said:

Not sure about Ross being left out. If we go 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 as Bruce seems willing to do then I think Ross and Kodjia would be my preference. Gabby can maybe make an impact off the bench or wide in a 4-3-3. 

Hogan is going to be a disaster again this season, he doesn't do anything and is a massive waste of money. Bruce seems determined to fit him in but he is just piss poor at pretty much everything. Can't lead the line, can't hold the ball up, can't play deep and link the play. You barely notice him

Totally agree with this however i would like to think that he is working on his game.

5 minutes ago, KHV said:

I agree Hogan has been poor so far, but he was scoring plenty before he arrived. He just doesn't suit our "style" of play and if we continue to play the same way, with virtually zero creativity, he'll be a waste of time. His way of playing is to run the channels and pick up through balls, which never arrive. I agree he doesn't do any of the things you list above, but I don't believe he ever has. We bought the wrong player for how we play. I feel a bit sorry for him really. Well as sorry as you can feel for a bloke who plays football and picks up a year's wages every week. 

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

I agree Hogan has been poor so far, but he was scoring plenty before he arrived. He just doesn't suit our "style" of play and if we continue to play the same way, with virtually zero creativity, he'll be a waste of time. His way of playing is to run the channels and pick up through balls, which never arrive. I agree he doesn't do any of the things you list above, but I don't believe he ever has. We bought the wrong player for how we play. I feel a bit sorry for him really. Well as sorry as you can feel for a bloke who plays football and picks up a year's wages every week. 

So our style of play is don't create chances or don't play through balls through the channel? So how do you  think Bruce expects the team to score?

16 minutes ago, KHV said:

Apparently because the way Bruce sets us up it has meant Hogan has forget the basics of playing as a striker.

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

To be fair he wasn't awful for us at the start, in fact he looked quite good, maybe not the goal scorer we needed but dangerous going forward certainly, he only unravelled when his fitness started to slide and gate, gate happened and then clearly his head wasn't in the right place and injuries on top.

I am not necessarily a believer in Ross, but i am a believer in every manager not coming in and bombing out the previous manager's signings in favour of massive losses and yet more new players, a bosses job is manage the players he has to get the best out of them. Hopefully that will happen, but it looks as though 20-25mil is going to get flushed down the crapper when McCormack, Elphick, Gollini, Gardener and Tishbola get shipped out for bargain prices.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 2

Â