Nintendo Switch

Chindie

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

Skyward Sword and BoTW are supposed to form parts of a loose trilogy iirc so I expect the sequel is going to link up (fnarr) somehow.

Skyward Sword is easily the worst Zelda game I've ever played - absolutely hated the controls and the world just seemed so disjointed and bland.

17 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Skyward Sword is easily the worst Zelda game I've ever played - absolutely hated the controls and the world just seemed so disjointed and bland.

It's one of the few I've not actually played. I was working in games retail when it came out, and I just knew I wouldn't want to play it.

In time it's turned out to be one of the worst in the series by most people's judgement, so I've not been too devastated.

I'm intrigued by the remake, which does seem to have sweetened people's views on it, but it's clear it's always going to be a slightly hamstrung title. It's buggered by it's basis. Which is a shame because there's good stuff in there apparently.

36 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I can't stop playing Minecraft at the moment. It's highly addictive and the fact its pick up and play is a huge bonus.

I haven't turned my PS5 on in 6-7 days.

Yeah, I still drop into my Minecraft world from time if I want something nice and relaxing to play. It really is a special game tbf.

7 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Yeah, I still drop into my Minecraft world from time if I want something nice and relaxing to play. It really is a special game tbf.

The lad had it first and I thought it was stupid. Then the missus played with him occasionally and got into it herself. The YouTube was always on the TV as he loves watching gamers on it (So SmallishBeans, Grian, Scar, Stampy, Dream etc...) are household names at the moment - and to be fair their videos are quite funny and enjoyable, especially the SMPs. So yeah, now I've got it and we've made a world the 3 of us can play in together which is nice, but I've also started my own serious one now and I'm a building machine.

54 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

The lad had it first and I thought it was stupid. Then the missus played with him occasionally and got into it herself. The YouTube was always on the TV as he loves watching gamers on it (So SmallishBeans, Grian, Scar, Stampy, Dream etc...) are household names at the moment - and to be fair their videos are quite funny and enjoyable, especially the SMPs. So yeah, now I've got it and we've made a world the 3 of us can play in together which is nice, but I've also started my own serious one now and I'm a building machine.

My youngest is friends with a few of the SMP's as they (my youngest) are quite a successful Minecraft / Sims Twitch creator now ( they hit 80k followers the other day and made Twitch Partner a few months ago) - It was Minecraft that got them into the whole streaming thing so I'll always have a soft spot for that game. They make a decent amount of money from it (considering they are only 16), but to be honest that's secondary to the amount it's improved their confidence, social skills and mental health.

One of those positive stories about streaming/content creation that you don't often hear about.

**EDIT** Apologies for going a bit off topic 😀

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

On 16/07/2021 at 11:30, Paddywhack said:

I've never played it either but I'll be picking it up next week at some point.

The Wii U was the first Nintendo console I swerved, so I'm glad most of it's main titles are being remade for the switch.

People that did have a Wii U must be a bit annoyed at the lack of big original games the Switch has had to offer over the last 4 years, no?

I have a Wii, Wii U and Switch, and you are correct, it does seem to me like a lack of new original titles on the Switch.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

I have a Wii, Wii U and Switch, and you are correct, it does seem to me like a lack of new original titles on the Switch.

Yup, same. For all the shit the Wii U got, it had some great first party titles.

What I like about the Switch though is the third party support that we haven't seen since the GameCube. Shin Megami Tensei 3, Ni No Kuni, all (or most) of the Final Fantasy games, a bunch of fighting games from Arc System Works, Cave classics like Mushihimesama being a Switch exclusive etc etc. Never thought this would be possible on a Nintendo console. But the first party games are seriously lacking. BotW and Odyssey are really the only heavy hitters and they came out in 2017. 

On 16/07/2021 at 09:10, Stevo985 said:

I'm working my way through Ori and the Will of the Wisps 

What. A. Game

I know it's not a Switch exclusive, but if you haven't played this or it's prequel (Ori and the Blind Forest) then you really should address that. Fantastic games.

Thanks to @villarule123 for the recommendation 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

Start with Blind Forest or doesn't it matter?

I'd start with Blind Forest. I heard the second game is a big improvement so it might be jarring going back. Waiting for Blind Forest to go on sale and then I'll play both. Played the demo and it was brilliant.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

Start with Blind Forest or doesn't it matter?

13 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I'd start with Blind Forest. I heard the second game is a big improvement so it might be jarring going back. Waiting for Blind Forest to go on sale and then I'll play both. Played the demo and it was brilliant.

You’d still enjoy both but yeah I’d say go for Blind Forest first. 

I wouldn’t say the second game is a big improvement. They’re both excellent. It’s just the second game adds more abilities and changes the mechanics of how you use them (it essentially becomes a bit like Zelda where you assign certain things to three buttons and you can interchange them).

And there’s side quests in the second game too. 

The games are very similar other than that. But that’s absolutely a good thing 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You’d still enjoy both but yeah I’d say go for Blind Forest first. 

I wouldn’t say the second game is a big improvement. They’re both excellent. It’s just the second game adds more abilities and changes the mechanics of how you use them (it essentially becomes a bit like Zelda where you assign certain things to three buttons and you can interchange them).

And there’s side quests in the second game too. 

The games are very similar other than that. But that’s absolutely a good thing 

Can these Ori games be played on the wii u?

I have an xbox one somewhere too.

Haven't gamed for years, probably stopped not long after goldeneye on the Gcube.

Knicked my lads old wii u during lockdown, to play BOTW, literally the highlight of my lockdown, what a game.

Anyway, if you know the answer it would be appreciated, just looked online and I don't trust what people say.

Also, nothing ever came close for me to the feel, the gameplay of the zelda and Mario games but if you know of anything close then please lmk, thanks.

• Like 1

On 24/07/2021 at 11:10, Phil Silvers said:

Can these Ori games be played on the wii u?

I have an xbox one somewhere too.

Haven't gamed for years, probably stopped not long after goldeneye on the Gcube.

Knicked my lads old wii u during lockdown, to play BOTW, literally the highlight of my lockdown, what a game.

Anyway, if you know the answer it would be appreciated, just looked online and I don't trust what people say.

Also, nothing ever came close for me to the feel, the gameplay of the zelda and Mario games but if you know of anything close then please lmk, thanks.

Unfortunately not. Think it’s only on XBoxOne, Windows and Switch

And these aren’t really like Mario or Zelda. They’re essentially 2D platformers, but with beautiful graphics, great story, great music, great gameplay and absolutely perfect controls

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Unfortunately not. Think it’s only on XBoxOne, Windows and Switch

And these aren’t really like Mario or Zelda. They’re essentially 2D platformers, but with beautiful graphics, great story, great music, great gameplay and absolutely perfect controls

Thanks pal, 2d is fine by me. 

Looks like I'll stump up and buy the lad the new switch after all and have his switch. I'll probably need it for botw2 anyway. Cheers again.

• Like 1

They're basically "Metroidvanias", which is basically a genre inspired by Super Metroid and Castlevania Symphony of the Night, where you explore a large interconnected area and backtrack to previously inaccessible areas after you get certain power-ups.

• Like 2

Yeah that sums it up pretty well.

It's great in many ways, but what sets it apart for me is the controls. A game like that with shoddy controls would be so difficult and unenjoyable. But the controls are perfect. You constantly feel in control and by the end you're absolutely flying through the map doing all sorts of tricks and abilities. It's just so so fun

• Like 1

Really enjoying Skyward Sword HD. I’ve now got past the point I’d left it at years ago. At first holding L to control the camera was awkward but once you’ve clicked with it and it’s locked in the muscle memory it then lets you enjoy the game more and it’s great fun.  

• Like 1

Â