Nintendo Switch

Chindie

8 minutes ago, JB said:

Yeah the highlight was another re-release. I think Skyward Sword won’t have aged well and will really suffer post-BotW. I think it was already possibly the worst 3D Zelda but the linear, highly constrained structure will seem really limited after the unprecedented levels of freedom. 

The amount of re-releases on the Switch is becoming a joke. It’s been a really underwhelming purchase and by far the least impressive Nintendo console games-wise. I think I’d definitely sell it if it wasn’t for always wanting the option to be able to play BotW.

Although after that rant about re-releases, I’m playing through Super Mario 3D World at the moment and it’s bloody brilliant. 

This is just my opinion but I’m all for updating my collection. The more rereleases the better as the original stuff doesn’t always play nice with old consoles and modern tv’s, plus switch cases take up less space.

I’d be happy with a WW/TP HD double pack, Metroid Prime Trilogy simply MUST have a switch port to build hype for MP4 and XBCX needs a larger audience to be fully appreciated as it’s currently stuck on Wii U and never got the plaudits it deserves.

The Skyward Sword rerelease is exactly what I wanted, the original with HD graphics and normal control scheme added in but I accept I’m in the minority that absolutely loves that game. Not all games need to be open world or have the latest graphics. It’s a lovely game with a beautiful art style and a great story. It’s not the terrible game people think it is, it’s a solid 8.5, it’s just not quite as good as most of the others which are mostly 9 and 10’s.

15 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

This is just my opinion but I’m all for updating my collection. The more rereleases the better as the original stuff doesn’t always play nice with old consoles and modern tv’s, plus switch cases take up less space.

I’d be happy with a WW/TP HD double pack, Metroid Prime Trilogy simply MUST have a switch port to build hype for MP4 and XBCX needs a larger audience to be fully appreciated as it’s currently stuck on Wii U and never got the plaudits it deserves.

The Skyward Sword rerelease is exactly what I wanted, the original with HD graphics and normal control scheme added in but I accept I’m in the minority that absolutely loves that game. Not all games need to be open world or have the latest graphics. It’s a lovely game with a beautiful art style and a great story. It’s not the terrible game people think it is, it’s a solid 8.5, it’s just not quite as good as most of the others which are mostly 9 and 10’s.

Yeah you’re right on both counts to be fair.

I’m judging Skyward Sword purely on my Zelda scale 😃. It was good game but was far from great IMO. Maybe if it wasn’t Zelda, I’d have loved it.

Switch versions of all the classics would be welcome, too. I’d love access to all the Zeldas (I’m desperate to play Majora’s Mask again) and I really fancy replaying the Metroid Prime trilogy, too (great shout btw). I love retro games - two of the best games I’ve got on my Switch are RE4 and Okami.

My issue is that the remakes are the Switch’s ‘big’ releases. They’re £40-50 but should be cheap downloads on the eShop IMO. 

There’s a dearth of original content. It’d be great to see some new classics that people will want to be replaying in the future. There are very, very few Switch exclusives that fall into that category nearly four years after release. Which is shit, quite frankly. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JB said:

Yeah you’re right on both counts to be fair.

I’m judging Skyward Sword purely on my Zelda scale 😃. It was good game but was far from great IMO. Maybe if it wasn’t Zelda, I’d have loved it.

Switch versions of all the classics would be welcome, too. I’d love access to all the Zeldas (I’m desperate to play Majora’s Mask again) and I really fancy replaying the Metroid Prime trilogy, too (great shout btw). I love retro games - two of the best games I’ve got on my Switch are RE4 and Okami.

My issue is that the remakes are the Switch’s ‘big’ releases. They’re £40-50 but should be cheap downloads on the eShop IMO. 

There’s a dearth of original content. It’d be great to see some new classics that people will want to be replaying in the future. There are very, very few Switch exclusives that fall into that category nearly four years after release. Which is shit, quite frankly. 

I get what you’re saying, some new IP’s would be good or at least take a chance on old forgotten dormant stuff again like F-Zero or Eternal Darkness or whatever (btw I know it wouldn’t help this conversation to say I’d bloody love ports of both of these GameCube games lol). Or Zack & Wiki from the Wii maybe? They do try now and again but never go back to stuff. Strange company but then with easy targets like me they don’t need to try. I’m happy to pay the money for Skyward Sword, I’m my own worst enemy. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I never played Skyward Sword so it's a yes from me :) 

I adore it but I’d set your expectations to very low if you are coming from botw. I hope in time people start to look back at SS more fondly. If you take it as it’s own game doing it’s own thing it’s really good. I think the new motionless control scheme may help a lot.

51 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I get what you’re saying, some new IP’s would be good or at least take a chance on old forgotten dormant stuff again like F-Zero or Eternal Darkness or whatever (btw I know it wouldn’t help this conversation to say I’d bloody love ports of both of these GameCube games lol). Or Zack & Wiki from the Wii maybe? They do try now and again but never go back to stuff. Strange company but then with easy targets like me they don’t need to try. I’m happy to pay the money for Skyward Sword, I’m my own worst enemy. 

Eternal Darkness! I forgot about that. Loved that game. 

I completely agree that they should be porting as much stuff as possible but just not as headline releases. I’d love access to all my old N64, Gamecube and Wii games. I was more than happy to pay £10ish each for RE4 and Okami. 

I’ll also almost definitely be buying Skyward Sword so not really helping my own argument 😂

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, JB said:

Eternal Darkness! I forgot about that. Loved that game. 

I completely agree that they should be porting as much stuff as possible but just not as headline releases. I’d love access to all my old N64, Gamecube and Wii games. I was more than happy to pay £10ish each for RE4 and Okami. 

I’ll also almost definitely be buying Skyward Sword so not really helping my own argument 😂

Just dug out my Gamecube and Eternal Darkness on the back of this, cheers @JB and @Ingram85

• Like 3

Meh direct for me. Too many ports and not enough original content IMO.

£60 for a bare bones remaster takes the piss, but because it’s Nintendo they get away with it and people lap it up. Sony or MS try that and they would be destroyed for it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JB said:

Yeah the highlight was another re-release. I think Skyward Sword won’t have aged well and will really suffer post-BotW. I think it was already possibly the worst 3D Zelda but the linear, highly constrained structure will seem really limited after the unprecedented levels of freedom. 

The amount of re-releases on the Switch is becoming a joke. It’s been a really underwhelming purchase and by far the least impressive Nintendo console games-wise. I think I’d definitely sell it if it wasn’t for always wanting the option to be able to play BotW.

Although after that rant about re-releases, I’m playing through Super Mario 3D World at the moment and it’s bloody brilliant. 

I think one of the good things of the Switch is the 3rd party support which blows previous systems out of the water until the GameCube. You just weren't getting games like the Capcom Arcade collection or even seemingly big titles like Sonic Mania or Persona 5 etc on the Wii and Wii U.

Guess the tradeoff is that the first party games are kind of lacking and they peaked early with Odyssey and BotW. The rest are just Wii U re-releases, which I guess makes sense since most people skipped that console anyway.

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I never played Skyward Sword so it's a yes from me :) 

I know how much you love BotW, be prepared for culture shock when playing SS. It's by far the most linear Zelda game and a lot of people don't like the handholding of that game. There's no overworld exploration (you literally just drop into the various levels from the sky and they're marked for you so you won't miss it) and you progress through those levels largely with a radar device pointing the way :lol:

That said, it's one of my favourite Zelda games, and I'm probably in a minority. For me it has hands down the best dungeons, music and story of all the Zelda games and that's really mostly why I play Zelda games in the first place. Not sure it's worth 60 bucks (!), but I'd definitely give it a shot!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I know how much you love BotW, be prepared for culture shock when playing SS. It's by far the most linear Zelda game and a lot of people don't like the handholding of that game. There's no overworld exploration (you literally just drop into the various levels from the sky and they're marked for you so you won't miss it) and you progress through those levels largely with a radar device pointing the way :lol:

That said, it's one of my favourite Zelda games, and I'm probably in a minority. For me it has hands down the best dungeons, music and story of all the Zelda games and that's really mostly why I play Zelda games in the first place. Not sure it's worth 60 bucks (!), but I'd definitely give it a shot!

Cheers

I know how different BOTW was to other Zelda games so I'm prepared for that! I always regretted not playing it so it'll be nice to get a chance to play it on the Switch

• Like 1

On 18/02/2021 at 00:14, Keyblade said:

How many times are they going to re-release Wind Waker and Twilight Princess though? Metroid Prime 4 is going to be an excruciating wait ugh.

Loved the Capcom Arcade Classics announcement. It's out now, going to get it. Been on a retro kick anyway. The screen options look tasty.

Wind Waker is one of the few I have never played that is highly regarded, so I'd love that. Loved TP as well, so I wouldn't mind that on switch.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AXD said:

Wind Waker is one of the few I have never played that is highly regarded, so I'd love that. Loved TP as well, so I wouldn't mind that on switch.

Same re: Wind Waker. Though I've started it multiple times to varying success. I got the Wii U HD remaster and it is gorgeous. Just need to sit down and finish it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Cheers

I know how different BOTW was to other Zelda games so I'm prepared for that! I always regretted not playing it so it'll be nice to get a chance to play it on the Switch

Wonder if they'll include the music they did with the original Skyward Sword, which had a CD bundled with every game with orchestrated versions of some of the best songs (and they were amazing). Another reason why I feel Nintendo is taking the piss asking for full price for this game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

I was working in Gamestation when Skyward Sword came out.

I sincerely feel old.

I remember it getting rave reviews when it came out. 10 from IGN. Best game of all time accolades. Safe to say, fan opinion doesn't reflect that in the decade since.

Stole my lads Switch last night when he went to bed and started my own Pokemon Sword game. >_>

I only know a handful of the Pokemon I've come across so far but it's still got the charms of the original. If anything there's too many to choose from in the first few areas now. I reckon I'd happily use my 6 Pokemon caught before the first gym throughout the game.

The Wii U ended up being a proper Zelda machine, only problem was hardly anyone bought it. I think that porting all of the main 3D Zeldas (Ocarina, MM, Wind Waker, Twilight plus the Skyward Sword announcement) would sell absolute bucket loads. I'm hoping we'll get a special Zelda anniversary announcement very soon as the radio silence has been a bit odd.

Metroid Prime 4 would be absolutely massive. A Prime Trilogy HD release would certainly keep me going until then as well, but maybe I'm asking too much...

Â