Nintendo Switch

Chindie

Got one for free when my wife changed her phone contract, so gave it to Santa to give my 5 year old - been playing Mario kart, smash bros melee and Minecraft. 

I'm surprised at how he got into the controls of Minecraft, it's fps controls, so doing two actions independent to move and look around, I thought would take him ages.. maybe not.  Boring game though, the only good thing on it is making train tracks for the mine carts.

Mario Kart is alright.. It's a bit boring though and the game basically plays itself, so there's little risk really.  Plus racing the 5 year old and winning isn't worth the pain and upset that goes with him being a bad loser.  The battle games we can play on the same team are ok though.. bit boring after a while.

Smash bros is mental, it's fun and there's loads of characters.  I found a few new game modes the other night like classic and spirits.. The spirits one is really frustratingly hard in some places.. Metal Sonic and pink ray-man type **** I'm looking at you.. Very fun launching people though, but my kid prefers Mario Kart..

It's his bday on 25th Jan, so I'd take any recommendations from you vets if possible.  As @Michelsen says, we play when my 1 year old goes to bed for 45 mins before his bedtime, so anything quick and easy would be good. 

On 08/01/2021 at 13:13, lapal_fan said:

Mario Kart is alright.. It's a bit boring though and the game basically plays itself, so there's little risk really. 

You've probably got the auto steering on. It's on by default (for some stupid reason)

If there's a little antenna sticking out the back of the kart then it's on.

Press pause during a race and there will be symbols in the top right telling you what assists are on (motion controls, auto steering and auto accelerate)

The game is fairly easy anyway, but with auto steering on you may as well not bother

• Thanks 1

I'm thinking about buying a new game (having Mario Odyssey, Splatoon, MArio Kart, BotW and Links Awakening).

Any recommendations? I'm currently looking at luigi's mansion and Hyrule Warrior (as a massive zelda fan). Smash Brothers is something I have played on the Wii, But I found it a bit too much button smashing.

On 13/01/2021 at 13:44, AXD said:

I'm thinking about buying a new game (having Mario Odyssey, Splatoon, MArio Kart, BotW and Links Awakening).

Any recommendations? I'm currently looking at luigi's mansion and Hyrule Warrior (as a massive zelda fan). Smash Brothers is something I have played on the Wii, But I found it a bit too much button smashing.

Once you get used to the controls Luigi's mansion is really good 

• Thanks 1

On 13/01/2021 at 14:44, AXD said:

Mario Rabbids Kingdom Battle is a brilliant game. It looks off putting because of the rabbids, but I was pleasantly surprised. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is great too. How are you with indie games? The top two games on the Switch for me are BOTW and Hollow Knight. Hollow Knight is pretty challenging, but if you like metroidvanias then it's one of the best.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

Mario Rabbids Kingdom Battle is a brilliant game. It looks off putting because of the rabbids, but I was pleasantly surprised. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is great too. How are you with indie games? The top two games on the Switch for me are BOTW and Hollow Knight. Hollow Knight is pretty challenging, but if you like metroidvanias then it's one of the best.

I’ve heard about Hollow Knight, but have never came across it in stores. I’ll check if there’s a demo.

Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition is 75% off right now on the eShop, if you're into RPG's. One of the best from the PS3/360 era.

A couple of other good ones on sale right now:

Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition (if you've understandably missed it on the Wii U)

The two Ori games (similar platformers to Rayman)

Ni No Kuni (similar to the Tales game mentioned)

Celeste (platformer with a very nice difficulty)

Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair (Donkey Kong Country spiritual successor)

Yooka Laylee (Banjo Kazooie spiritual successor, made by some of the same devs)

On 16/01/2021 at 22:52, Keyblade said:

Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition is 75% off right now on the eShop, if you're into RPG's. One of the best from the PS3/360 era.

A couple of other good ones on sale right now:

Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition (if you've understandably missed it on the Wii U)

The two Ori games (similar platformers to Rayman)

Ni No Kuni (similar to the Tales game mentioned)

Celeste (platformer with a very nice difficulty)

Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair (Donkey Kong Country spiritual successor)

Yooka Laylee (Banjo Kazooie spiritual successor, made by some of the same devs)

The 2nd yooka is dreadful why they completely changed it from the 1st ill never know 

On 28/01/2021 at 07:52, Demitri_C said:

Anyone else thinking nintendos getting stale? Absolutely nothing of interest for the last few months from them.

Can see them being the next sega.

Switch Pro on the way, probably announced with the first full BOTW2 trailer as that’ll be the first game for it. Although it’ll work on both switches, normal and pro.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a cracking little racing game earlier as I had some spare gold points. ‘80’s Overdrive’. Got a luke warm reception at launch by all accounts for the sense of speed being a bit slow but this was improved after a patch, or so I’ve read.

Anyhoo, it’s a decent little OutRun inspired retro racer. For a couple of quid you can’t go wrong. The stand out part? The soundtrack, absolutely spot on. 

I think overall, Horizon Chase Turbo is the better game and obviously OutRun is king but this just does something a little different enough visually and with the atmosphere it generates to warrant a go. 

11 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Got a cracking little racing game earlier as I had some spare gold points. ‘80’s Overdrive’. Got a luke warm reception at launch by all accounts for the sense of speed being a bit slow but this was improved after a patch, or so I’ve read.

Anyhoo, it’s a decent little OutRun inspired retro racer. For a couple of quid you can’t go wrong. The stand out part? The soundtrack, absolutely spot on. 

I think overall, Horizon Chase Turbo is the better game and obviously OutRun is king but this just does something a little different enough visually and with the atmosphere it generates to warrant a go. 

Just checked it out. Looks like one of my favourite all time racing games  cruising usa. Might have to grab it.

Soundtracks great. 

Controls decent?

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Just checked it out. Looks like one of my favourite all time racing games  cruising usa. Might have to grab it.

Soundtracks great. 

Controls decent?

Seems decent so far, haven’t noticed anything untoward with the controls. Like I said it’s a solid 7/10 for a couple of quid. OutRun and HCT are both better though but I just love the aesthetics of 80’s Overdrive.

Edited by Ingram85

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Lots of games announced at the Nintendo Direct, the most exciting being Skyward Sword HD for me. For people who missed it and for people who didn't like the motion controls, this looks like it's going to be a hit.

Buzzing about that. Slightly underwhelmed by 90% of the other announcements but I guess development has been slowed down on a lot of big titles. Still hoping for a Zelda HD collection for the anniversary like they did for Mario.

Some news on Metroid Prime 4 would be nice too...

• Like 1

Mario Golf, Skyward Sword and the Joy-cons for me. That’s it though. After 530 odd days since the last proper direct this was utter gash. Nintendo have no idea how to gauge the room do they sometimes...

Metroid Prime 4 or even the Trilogy re-release? Nope

Wind Waker & Twilight Princess HD Double Pack? Nope

Super Mario Galaxy 2? Nope

BotW2? Nope

Bayonetta 3? Nope

Xenoblade Chronicles X? Nope

SW: Republic Commando HD? Nope

But loads of throwaway identikit Anime inspired guff. Ugh. 

8 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Mario Golf, Skyward Sword and the Joy-cons for me. That’s it though. After 530 odd days since the last proper direct this was utter gash. Nintendo have no idea how to gauge the room do they sometimes...

Metroid Prime 4 or even the Trilogy re-release? Nope

Wind Waker & Twilight Princess HD Double Pack? Nope

Super Mario Galaxy 2? Nope

BotW2? Nope

Bayonetta 3? Nope

Xenoblade Chronicles X? Nope

SW: Republic Commando HD? Nope

But loads of throwaway identikit Anime inspired guff. Ugh. 

How many times are they going to re-release Wind Waker and Twilight Princess though? Metroid Prime 4 is going to be an excruciating wait ugh.

Loved the Capcom Arcade Classics announcement. It's out now, going to get it. Been on a retro kick anyway. The screen options look tasty.

21 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

How many times are they going to re-release Wind Waker and Twilight Princess though? Metroid Prime 4 is going to be an excruciating wait ugh.

Loved the Capcom Arcade Classics announcement. It's out now, going to get it. Been on a retro kick anyway. The screen options look tasty.

With the Switch install base compared to the Wii U they deserve a chance to properly shine in their HD glory. Plus it will be easier and less hassle to play than using the Wii u tablet and having to get the Wii U out the cupboard every time I want to play it. 

I thought the direct was average. 

Uninspiring charchter on smash, some dud games like those mystery ones, and that wierd mii game.

Mario golf looks good. Zelda could be good. Splatoon 3 looks decent 

But no BOTW2, Metroid or bayonetta 3 updates. Really poor and disappointing 

Yeah the highlight was another re-release. I think Skyward Sword won’t have aged well and will really suffer post-BotW. I think it was already possibly the worst 3D Zelda but the linear, highly constrained structure will seem really limited after the unprecedented levels of freedom. 

The amount of re-releases on the Switch is becoming a joke. It’s been a really underwhelming purchase and by far the least impressive Nintendo console games-wise. I think I’d definitely sell it if it wasn’t for always wanting the option to be able to play BotW.

Although after that rant about re-releases, I’m playing through Super Mario 3D World at the moment and it’s bloody brilliant. 

Â