Nintendo Switch

Chindie

We got one of these for my son for xmass, as he’s really getting into all things Mario and I’d rather he gets into consoles than hooked on the iPad anyway. I’ve only played Playstation since I was about 10, but I guess I’ll have to get Zelda BOTW for myself then? 

6 hours ago, Nath182 said:

Finally completed BOTW today, I bought the expansion after I'd completed the main story which was a bit stupid. Really enjoyed it and probably one of my favourite ever games, although have to say I found the bosses to be a bit too easy.

Just bought Hades as it's 20% off on the estore at the moment, really looking forward to getting stuck in to it.

I kind of hated how tacked on and forced the DLC felt at times but the shrines were some of the best in the entire game and the extra ‘divine beast’ was the best one by miles IMO. The boss was still pretty easy but far more interesting than the blights. Also really enjoyed the Trial of the Sword. Slightly annoying to have to start a new game to fight a gold lynel, though. Not sure I can be bothered.

I bought Luigi’s Mansion 3 and am a few hours into it. It’s good. The controls are a bit fiddly and it can be quite repetitive but some of the puzzles are really satisfying. Just done one that took me aaaaages to figure out.

On 18/12/2020 at 22:03, JB said:

I kind of hated how tacked on and forced the DLC felt at times but the shrines were some of the best in the entire game and the extra ‘divine beast’ was the best one by miles IMO. The boss was still pretty easy but far more interesting than the blights. Also really enjoyed the Trial of the Sword. Slightly annoying to have to start a new game to fight a gold lynel, though. Not sure I can be bothered.

I bought Luigi’s Mansion 3 and am a few hours into it. It’s good. The controls are a bit fiddly and it can be quite repetitive but some of the puzzles are really satisfying. Just done one that took me aaaaages to figure out.

Luigi's mansion gets a lot better.

I struggled at first. Didn't like to controls very much and thought it was quite slow for the first couple of hours. But once you get into it it's very good.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

LM3 gets so hard later on.

Mate the main puzzle on the movie set floor had me stuck for ages. It was so elaborate and I still don’t know how I figured it out to be honest! What ended up working seemed like such a long shot. 

I didn’t expect it to be so challenging but I’m enjoying it for sure. 

On 19/12/2020 at 23:48, JB said:

Mate the main puzzle on the movie set floor had me stuck for ages. It was so elaborate and I still don’t know how I figured it out to be honest! What ended up working seemed like such a long shot. 

I didn’t expect it to be so challenging but I’m enjoying it for sure. 

Yeah that was the one puzzle that had me stuck for ages. I had to google it in the end but not because I'd given up, but because I genuinely thought the game had glitched and I was stuck and was trying to see how to get out of it.

I was so sure what I was trying was right that I convinced myself it must have broken

23 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah that was the one puzzle that had me stuck for ages. I had to google it in the end but not because I'd given up, but because I genuinely thought the game had glitched and I was stuck and was trying to see how to get out of it.

I was so sure what I was trying was right that I convinced myself it must have broken

Im so intrigued at this puzzle i might start LM3 next once i finish implosion 

My OH got me Mario Kart Live for my birthday.

It's very fun! And extremely clever. It's genuinely amazing.

Unfortunately, I think the novelty will wear off really quickly. With it being such a faff to get out and set up too it's not like you can just switch it on for a quick game. The lack of multiplayer (for obvious reasons) makes it tough too.

Lots of fun while it lasts though. I imagine it would be great for kids

Edited by Stevo985

On 23/12/2020 at 15:07, Stevo985 said:

My OH got me Mario Kart Live for my birthday.

It's very fun! And extremely clever. It's genuinely amazing.

Unfortunately, I think the novelty will wear off really quickly. With it being such a faff to get out and set up too it's not like you can just switch it on for a quick game. The lack of multiplayer (for obvious reasons) makes it tough too.

Lots of fun while it lasts though. I imagine it would be great for kids

I seen you on it was gonna ask you if it was any good? Im a big mario kart fan but this isnt for me

On 18/12/2020 at 21:14, Michelsen said:

We got one of these for my son for xmass, as he’s really getting into all things Mario and I’d rather he gets into consoles than hooked on the iPad anyway. I’ve only played Playstation since I was about 10, but I guess I’ll have to get Zelda BOTW for myself then? 

Yes, you won't regret it. Get Mario Oddysey too.

• Thanks 1

started playing age of calamity the other day. just can't get on with it. i knew what it was going to be, but i'm just finding it so boring and repetitive at the moment. same combinations over and over, and the camera angles are really bad.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/12/2020 at 21:14, Michelsen said:

We are in the same boat. My sons birthday is the start of Feb and we are getting him a Switch. He loves Mario, so starting him on Mario Party and Mario Kart, and a friend of ours is getting him the Mario and Sonic at the Olympics game. He’s been watching YouTube videos of Mario games, and seems to love them. 

Any recommendations or tips? How old is your lad?

On 30/12/2020 at 12:45, abdomlahor said:

started playing age of calamity the other day. just can't get on with it. i knew what it was going to be, but i'm just finding it so boring and repetitive at the moment. same combinations over and over, and the camera angles are really bad.

Its ok. Some of the bosses though are really annoying

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

We are in the same boat. My sons birthday is the start of Feb and we are getting him a Switch. He loves Mario, so starting him on Mario Party and Mario Kart, and a friend of ours is getting him the Mario and Sonic at the Olympics game. He’s been watching YouTube videos of Mario games, and seems to love them. 

Any recommendations or tips? How old is your lad?

My boy is five, so probably a bit young, but he’s absolutely loving it. We got Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, which is the «old skool» Mario linear platform game. You can play two player on it, so we play together. Will be getting Mario Kart at some point, probably. The biggest challenge is definitely to limit playing time, so it’s important to lay down some rules early and to try and be involved and not just leave him to it. You definitely want it to be something you can do together, and not another solo device. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

My boy is five, so probably a bit young, but he’s absolutely loving it. We got Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, which is the «old skool» Mario linear platform game. You can play two player on it, so we play together. Will be getting Mario Kart at some point, probably. The biggest challenge is definitely to limit playing time, so it’s important to lay down some rules early and to try and be involved and not just leave him to it. You definitely want it to be something you can do together, and not another solo device. 

Our son will be 5 also! As you say he will probably be a bit young for a lot of it, but as long as he enjoys it that’s the main thing. He has recently taken interest in my PS4, and loves the iPad watching kids YouTube and watching the Mario Party games, so hoping it’ll be a hit for him  

Of course, I’ve been looking into games for Daddy too!! 

5 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Our son will be 5 also! As you say he will probably be a bit young for a lot of it, but as long as he enjoys it that’s the main thing. He has recently taken interest in my PS4, and loves the iPad watching kids YouTube and watching the Mario Party games, so hoping it’ll be a hit for him  

Of course, I’ve been looking into games for Daddy too!! 

He’ll definitely love it! And, them being on the young side gives us the chance to be the big heroes when they need help to clear a level (which is all the time!) 😂

Edited by Michelsen
  • Haha 1

I also gave Mario vs Sonic at the Olympics a whirl (my sister has it)

It's ok, but as seems to be the norm these days, local multiplayer seems to have taken a backseat. You can play it, but you can only play individual events in multiplayer. You can't do a whole competition like you can in single player. Bizarre.

Â