2016 Summer Olympics, Rio de Janeiro

StanBalaban

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

what's the weather like down there in australia?

Not an ozzie. First time watching the 'sport' this olympics and can't understand how anyone thinks anything of it. A bit like horse jumping at the games for me. 

Well after Hoy talking about us getting in their slip stream, that was much closer than expected. I thought we blew at 7 tenths down at one point! thankfully the Aussies ran out of steam.

Sir Bradley, Sir Chris, Sir Steve. Three amazing men right there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, limvillian said:

Team pursuit and indoor cycling in general. The worst made up sport ever? I think so. Utter shite.

why? no different to any racing surely? if anything its actually a bit better because of the sciencey stuff added to it, i get the slipstream stuff but i still dont fully understand the full impact of the aussies dropping down to 3 riders sooner than GB, assuming its a pace setting thing

Edited by villa4europe

9 minutes ago, limvillian said:

Not an ozzie. First time watching the 'sport' this olympics and can't understand how anyone thinks anything of it. A bit like horse jumping at the games for me. 

392303ce0ba3bb12b3559bab8b44686672ea371e

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

why? no different to any racing surely? if anything its actually a bit better because of the sciencey stuff added to it, i get the slipstream stuff but i still dont fully understand the full impact of the aussies dropping down to 3 riders sooner than GB, assuming its a pace setting thing

Having 3 riders means each one gets less of a rest behind the lead man. Simple as that. Going down to 3 that early meant Australia were always going to struggle to keep the pace and so it showed. The GB team just paced it better.

Quite a few making their first defence too including the South Korean womens archery team (1 member won at london) who added to their already bonkers record of never having lost a single match in the olympics since the sport was introduced in 1988 winning gold all 8 times. Obviously the individual competitors have changed over the years but a team member has also won the individual event 8 out of the last 9 olympics only failing in Beijing and even then they took silver & bronze.

Can't think of any other sport where a single nation is so completely dominant but at the same time very few people even know/care

not sure how many countries have a similar set up to us where the funding is distributed according to your performance at the previous games, in theory we win 5 golds in the velodrome,1 in canoeing and 0 in judo then cycling gets the most funding, judo the least

just seen the windsurfer who won silver now has more medals than anyone else, bronze in athens, silver in london, its his 5th olympics

Rutherford might be one of the least likeable men in world sport.

Also, there's something amusing about watching Olympic table tennis, especially with the commentary team running a fine line between enthusiasm and taking the piss.

Martin Rooney saying I ran like a dick after his race was hilarious.

Anyway, I would guess there is only around 20,000 in the stadium currently. Top tier is nearly completely empty and vast swathes of empty seats around the bottom tier.

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Quite a few making their first defence too including the South Korean womens archery team (1 member won at london) who added to their already bonkers record of never having lost a single match in the olympics since the sport was introduced in 1988 winning gold all 8 times. Obviously the individual competitors have changed over the years but a team member has also won the individual event 8 out of the last 9 olympics only failing in Beijing and even then they took silver & bronze.

Can't think of any other sport where a single nation is so completely dominant but at the same time very few people even know/care

China in the table tennis?

22 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Hope Solo is possibly the biggest word removed in football. Figuratively, and from what I've seen, literally.

Reminds me of the sarlacc pit in ROTJ

Review_BattleSarlacc_still02.jpg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, sne said:

Solo also got in a physical fight with her sister and 17 y.o nephew while drunk and then arrested for assault a while back.

Classy lady...

the female Ravel Morrison :P

18 hours ago, sne said:

Amazing running, here's hoping she's clean...

One thing thou, It seems like pretty much every runner sat a personal best, the Swedish woman set a new Swedish record with 25 seconds!

Have they actually measured the track so it is the correct length? With the shambles about everything in Rio I would not be suprised if it is 2 meters too short :D

Quoting myself here, but anyhow...

Turns out they may actually have had some things wrong with the track at the 10.000m run

When A World Record May Not Be A Record

Rio de Janeiro, August 12, 2016—Eagle-eyed fan Charles Shaffer raised a fair point onT&FN's message board. Technically speaking, Almaz Ayana's spectacular gold medal 29:17.45 run in Rio today may not meet all the criteria to be ratified as a World Record. The IAAF will probably find a way around that but hear Shaffer out:

Great performance yes, POY perhaps, but not a WR by the book, and that book is the IAAF Competition Rules 2016-2017.

https://www.iaaf.org/about-iaaf/documents/rules-regulations

For the first 15 laps (6,000m), a large portion of the first turn had no curb nor cones in place, due to the heptathlon HJ. For the next 2 laps, cones had been placed along about half of the turn where the curb was missing. But it was not until there the final 8 laps that the track was finally in compliance with IAAF Rule 160.1.

So 68% of the race was run under less than legal conditions on the track. Should this count as a WR?

The no curb/no cones situation also existed for all but Heat 1 and the first half of Heat 2 of the m800 heats.

http://trackandfieldnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3038

Â