Sam Allardyce

Xann

England are the "laughing stock of world football" following the departure of manager Sam Allardyce after only 67 days, says Alan Shearer.

"I didn't think England could stoop any lower from what happened in the summer at the Euros. Now here we are, a laughing stock of world football."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37490396

Can all the pundits and ex-players stop pretending that England are even relevant in world football anymore?
No one gives a flying **** about us.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

That is what makes it so sad. It was clearly his dream job, and to blow it like this is mindblowing stupid and tragic.PL manager for the best part of 15 years, earning a monstrous salary, new £3m year dream job and the guy chucks it all up the wall. A reputation in tatters, and a legacy that will only be remembered for greed, corruption and stupidity.

Still, the guy is a complete rocket polisher.

He has had a few near misses previously...

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Can all the pundits and ex-players stop pretending that England are even relevant in world football anymore?
No one gives a flying **** about us.

the Aston Villa of international football :P

I really don't get the clamour for Hoddle to take over the job, though I base this almost entirely on one episode:

Back during the 2014 World Cup warm up game against Honduras, there was a length "rain break", during which ITV filled the time with who each of the pundits felt should start in the opening World Cup game against Italy.

Glenn wanted Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard paired together in the middle of a 4-4-2.  Stevie G and Fat Frank.  In the middle of the park.  In the raging heat and humidity of Manus.  In 2014.

If Glenn gets in, no doubt we'll be looking forward to Super Wayne "bringing his experience" to every England game until the end of times with the ethereal promise of him proving he still has it at the top level forever on the horizon.  Not for me Clive, not for me.

• Like 2

Wenger will just sign a new deal at Arsenal like he always does seeing as the fan protests have died down now.

I thought last summer was too early for Eddie Howe...I wonder though another progressive season for Bournemouth and maybe them sneaking into the top half and he might be tempted?

That's the sort of progressive appointment England need to make.

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Southgate isn't that much older....he managed Boro for three seasons in prem and got them relegated in third year....Howe isn't that less experienced than him and is obviously doing a much better job in the prem.

Then landed a couple of technical roles at the FA including head of youth development and then he's got the U21 job

southgate being given the role permanently after we beat some minnows in the next couple of games is everything that's wrong with English football, I'd be amazed if it didn't happen

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Wenger will just sign a new deal at Arsenal like he always does seeing as the fan protests have died down now.

You know what, I think he might be tempted this time.  The FA would offer him anything, so he could finish this season at Arsenal and then takeover from Southgate.   It would make England a lot more interesting.

depends if he wants the hassle before retiring, he's 66, the overhaul that i think he'd like to / need to implement is going to take longer than the 3 years he'll probably get, they should have got someone of his ilk to sit in st georges and restructure english football when they gave it to roy and southgate

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Southgate isn't that much older....he managed Boro for three seasons in prem and got them relegated in third year....Howe isn't that less experienced than him and is obviously doing a much better job in the prem.

He's only the interim manager Chris. Its unlikely he will get the full  job. I still think it will be Wenger. He's getting no younger and it could be his final chance to  manage England. Of course he might have aspirations of the French job. 

I actually like Southgate. His record at club management has no bearing on what he would do in international management. He's played for England in major compeitions, managed the u21s. A likeable person, comes over well with the media. 

Â