Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

59 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Is he!? It's as much a genuine question as it is a statement of surprise. Hasn't he been bumming around in the States for the last five years or something? 

Passing and general game much better to be honest, much less of a headless chicken/donkey. It seems he has matured. Long passes, through balls and all!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

47 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Passing and general game much better to be honest, much less of a headless chicken/donkey. It seems he has matured. Long passes, through balls and all!

And Bradley Wright-Phillips is top scorer every season too over there isn't he? That alone leads me to take any sign of improvement with a heavy pinch of salt, rock salt too, not that normal shitty stuff.

6 hours ago, TRO said:

Forest were not even in the game.....so ask yourself the question, why is a team, not even in it able to score 2 goals and deny us a valuable win.

.....Allowed to......and that is my issue.

and its not for the first time either.

ps I have little issue with the attack.

Because it's football man!

shit happens and happens particularly to us it seems, I would honestly have more concerns if we had say an extra 3 or 4 points now but had been playing like we have for the past X amount of years. 

The tide will turn, eventually.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, krisagg75 said:

watching sunderland I can't believe I was so stupid as to have wanted moyes.thank god for dr x.

To be fair Sunderland are just like we were. They've been circling the drain for years and it's only a matter of time. The only big difference between them and us is that they've had some insane luck.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mantis said:

To be fair Sunderland are just like we were. They've been circling the drain for years and it's only a matter of time. The only big difference between them and us is that they've had some insane luck.

The only difference is Defoe.

...actually nah, we were very terrible, they are just rubbish

Edited by thunderball

47 minutes ago, thunderball said:

The only difference is Defoe.

...actually nah, we were very terrible, they are just rubbish

Obviously we were a lot worse last season but in general if you look at the last few years they're very similar to us.

3 hours ago, thunderball said:

Woah, this is a highlights reel??

to be fair he didnt set up many goals at all for us ! Good on him.. found his level. Wouldnt want him here. Theres a few decent players still available on a free.. he isnt one of them. 

13 hours ago, terrytini said:

Isn't that partly due to the effective nature of the defensive / pressing side of our game (which I think we did well) ?

And anyone can score twice from two chances.  I remember watching Spain v Switzerland a few years back and Spain had something like 75 % possession, Switzerland had one chance all game and won.  It happens.

I don't get it.  Teams will score against us, against everyone.  Defenders/Mf's etc will make mistakes   - (as you said Jose was berating his own (much better ) defender for it at the weekend).

My question is - if you just viewed this years games as this year, and forgot about last year, would you still think there was some worryingly fundamental issue ?  We have conceded  7 goals, only 9 Teams have let in fewer and they don't all have brand new defences. Are we really as bad - this season - as you think ?

This is a new team, completely unfettered by the mentality of last season, and I am viewing them in that light. And I am worried about the results. Early days, yes, but it seems we are pinning our hopes on everything changing eventually. How long will that take? We cannot let other teams get too much of a head start on us. We also seem to believe that other teams will implode and we will then catch them. Will they implode? All of them? It's all very well to be unlucky, but we need to get results soon.  

Yeah I can accept all that - it makes sense to be worried about results, because they are not very good.

I can't see sense in looking at the Managers position, and I can't see the sense of those who see a continuum from last season to this - IMO it makes perfect sense to see this years games as this years games - and yes, in those results aren't good enough.

However, I think performances are good, and it is for that reason that it makes sense to think results will improve.

And actually looking at each game, it doesn't fit the 'fragile' narrative - it actually fits the 'start taking chances and goalie stop messing up' narrative.

Is it guaranteed ?  No of course not.  Should RDM be bomb proof ? Again, of course not.  But he should be judged on the basis of where we started from, and given time - particularly as performances have been decent, and we haven't even come close to starting with his chosen line up.

As for your question about teams imploding - I think it's a safe bet that all bar a couple will, it happens every year in this League.  That doesn't mean we will catch them, but it does mean points gaps right now mean far less than some think.

And despite how we view our squad (i.e. still thin) come the winter as injuries etc kick in it will still be stronger than many.

• Like 4

On 9/12/2016 at 12:45, hippo said:

I don't see "It could be 6 in 12" cutting it with Dr Tony to be honest.

Of course he will get more time - and there will be those saying he needs more time in April, May of next year ! 

Personally I think he has been given a massive transfer kitty, free reign over who stay and goes, his own choice of coaching staff, a full pre season - quite simply he has to deliver and deliver pretty sharpish. Personally I don't think he will - buy lets be quite clear there can be no mitigating circumstances  over the next few weeks. 

I would hope 6 in 12 will cut it with Dr X as that would mean we've won 5 of our next 6 games and I think most of us would be happy with that.

12 minutes ago, rubberman said:

I would hope 6 in 12 will cut it with Dr X as that would mean we've won 5 of our next 6 games and I think most of us would be happy with that.

it was the 'Could'  that was the problem.

22 hours ago, terrytini said:

Isn't that partly due to the effective nature of the defensive / pressing side of our game (which I think we did well) ?

And anyone can score twice from two chances.  I remember watching Spain v Switzerland a few years back and Spain had something like 75 % possession, Switzerland had one chance all game and won.  It happens.

I don't get it.  Teams will score against us, against everyone.  Defenders/Mf's etc will make mistakes   - (as you said Jose was berating his own (much better ) defender for it at the weekend).

My question is - if you just viewed this years games as this year, and forgot about last year, would you still think there was some worryingly fundamental issue ?  We have conceded  7 goals, only 9 Teams have let in fewer and they don't all have brand new defences. Are we really as bad - this season - as you think ?

I didn't say we was bad Terry, I said we have flaws that is costing us points.....and at present until Jedinak can come in, I have worries.....and still hoping Jedinak can improve it.

• I did say in my earlier posts we took the game to Forest well, offensively I have little issue.
  • Of Course it happens, but we are conceding the initiative too often, not securing points from a winning position is becoming a habit.....as opposed to "one of those things" in the unpredictable world of football.....Its becoming trend like, a feature of "our game".
  • My Mourinho point was he see's it and says it.....and yes Blind is better than ours, but so is the opposition he has to deal with....thats all relative.
  • I do take your final point ....and yes last season does have an influence because it begs the question we have changed the bowler, have we changed the bowling.....There are features in our play that are still there, similar to last season.....will RDM eradicate them I'm rather hoping so. Not change manager.
  • I might be worth reading Alex Berwicks fan blog in the Birmingham Mail tonight , who in my view is very close to the problem....my view of course.

There is nothing we can do, the Forest game has gone and we must hope the new football management can instill and edge in to the side that can ensure we hold on to a win.

Edited by TRO

Well I agree with some of that, and I'm sure everyone hopes the longer these players and coaches work together the tougher we will get as a side. Mind you, I reckon the fans of pretty much every Club are hoping for that !

I think where I see it differently is this idea that these players, ( not last seasons, nor two years ago etc), are somehow peculiarly 'fragile/soft/naïve' to mention just some of the variations.

You say they are throwing away winning position almost habitually, yet out of 6 league games we've lost a lead in 3, one to the side currently top, one after also having fought back from a deficit, and Bristol. I would argue that certainly the first two of those are just what happens. It can't - surely - be classed as a trend, or a habit on such a small sample ? Without trawling the results I bet the same thing has happened umpteen times to teams already.

I'm trying to say I think it is needless worry, influenced unnecessarily by previous years. There is no continuum. It isn't pyscological IMO.

This side do not have the mental weakness you and others are ascribing to it, we haven't, and won't, make a habit of throwing away winning positions, and it won't be because things improve, it's because that particular ' thing' isn't actually one ! We will win more as we gel more,im certain of that playing as we do.

Yes we want and need to be more solid, but it's not the case we are like jelly, for the most part we have defended well as a team. 

Anyway, as I see it we will both be happy - me because I'm sure they will produce results as they are, and you because when they produce results you will feel they've toughened up !

Starting tomorrow hopefully.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Well I agree with some of that, and I'm sure everyone hopes the longer these players and coaches work together the tougher we will get as a side. Mind you, I reckon the fans of pretty much every Club are hoping for that !

I think where I see it differently is this idea that these players, ( not last seasons, nor two years ago etc), are somehow peculiarly 'fragile/soft/naïve' to mention just some of the variations.

You say they are throwing away winning position almost habitually, yet out of 6 league games we've lost a lead in 3, one to the side currently top, one after also having fought back from a deficit, and Bristol. I would argue that certainly the first two of those are just what happens. It can't - surely - be classed as a trend, or a habit on such a small sample ? Without trawling the results I bet the same thing has happened umpteen times to teams already.

I'm trying to say I think it is needless worry, influenced unnecessarily by previous years. There is no continuum. It isn't pyscological IMO.

This side do not have the mental weakness you and others are ascribing to it, we haven't, and won't, make a habit of throwing away winning positions, and it won't be because things improve, it's because that particular ' thing' isn't actually one ! We will win more as we gel more,im certain of that playing as we do.

Yes we want and need to be more solid, but it's not the case we are like jelly, for the most part we have defended well as a team. 

Anyway, as I see it we will both be happy - me because I'm sure they will produce results as they are, and you because when they produce results you will feel they've toughened up !

Starting tomorrow hopefully.

You are right in the sense that I am just speculating, to find an answer to something i think is there and something you don't think is there

I have watched the games Terry and the points I am highlighting i have seen for myself....unnecessary standing off is not a mirage....its encouraging the opposition back in to the game.

The point about mental weakness is a bit of a search for an answer, but I agree, very much an opinion.

In terms of the soft underbelly..... I think the midfield could have been strengthened at 2-1 and more of an effort to deny them space. I do not agree we defend well as a team, sorry can't agree on that.

I also disagree with notion that we will stop giving away benevolent goals eventually because sequences dictate it, there is always an element of luck in football, but an element thats all....you usually get what you deserve in this game.We have to drive it not be passive passengers.

The team will get tougher if the coaches focus on it and we have to hope they do.

as for the team winning yes I am desperate and I could not care a fiddlers **** whether I am right or wrong....as long as we win.

• Like 1

Right so Newcastle are pissing the title and making this shit quality league look as easy as it actually is whilst we despite spending a billion pounds are just above the relegation zone. We and indeed RDM, are a complete joke.

28 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Right so Newcastle are pissing the title and making this shit quality league look as easy as it actually is whilst we despite spending a billion pounds are just above the relegation zone. We and indeed RDM, are a complete joke.

I wouldnt go as far as calling us a joke just yet. If we are still in same position by 5-10 games then I would agree

Â