Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

32 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Dumb question, but does a new stadium go against your FFP?

not yet but they are voting soon to have it added, which id then guess that seeing as city have more or less done theirs, liverpool have done theirs, everton and spurs have new stadiums, arsenal wont touch theirs it'll be interesting to see how that one goes

and the other comment about spurs stadium - spurs owned the land....makes a huge difference, the cost of the land and the risk of the ground conditions is a huge chink of your development cost, agree £2bn is a bit rich but i wouldnt be surprised if the overall project cost was more than spurs

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

not yet but they are voting soon to have it added, which id then guess that seeing as city have more or less done theirs, liverpool have done theirs, everton and spurs have new stadiums, arsenal wont touch theirs it'll be interesting to see how that one goes

and the other comment about spurs stadium - spurs owned the land....makes a huge difference, the cost of the land and the risk of the ground conditions is a huge chink of your development cost, agree £2bn is a bit rich but i wouldnt be surprised if the overall project cost was more than spurs

Course we could own all the land around Witton Lane but that tight arse Doug's legacy continues 

14 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Course we could own all the land around Witton Lane but that tight arse Doug's legacy continues 

i was talking in the context of moving completely

IMO there's not a huge benefit of knocking down VP and relocating in the same postcode, the postcode is part of the problem

• Like 3

We would also be in a quite unique situation that we don't own the stadium, and if our stadium owners (or any other "separate" company for that matter) decide to build a new stadium and lease it to our club (there's nothing stopping any other club doing this either of course), then that can't possibly count towards FFP aside from the lease would be a bit higher than what we pay now.

Edited by fightoffyour

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

According to the rules it's excluded but I see Everton are complaining about interest payments increasing on their stadium as part of their FFP defence. So I'm not 100% sure how it all works, just like everyone when it comes to FFP. 

F*** it then, seriously, build a new stadium. 

I've long said that we need to be THE team in Birmingham. I doubt such a site exists, but how good would it be if any set of fans can get to New St, Snow Hill, Moor St. etc and just walk to the ground? I'm sure the BHX line runs into one of them stations too. 

Like people have said, we can knock VP down rebuild on roughly the same spot a la Spurs but its everything surrounding Villa Park itself that would be the blocker for that. It would have to be a Man City/Eastlands type of regeneration of Villa Park and the surrounding area and that would cost billions

4 hours ago, villa89 said:

It will cost much more than that by the time it's completed. You are also not factoring in construction price inflation. Realistically to buy a suitable site & build a 60K seater stadium in or around birmingham then you would need ~£1.5 - £2 billion budget. The sale of Villa park probably isn't going to generate much income either in the grand scheme of things. You'd need owners willing to spend £500m on it on the assumption they would probably never see a return on that money. 

Well it's all about how much added return the stadium gives. 

Say doing up Villa Park for 100m and we are generating 30m per season. The asset lets say is valued at £400m for the stadium and land. 

Now let's say we build a new stadium in central Birmingham and it costs 800m and generates 60m per year. If we then sell VP site for 250m that's a net cost of 550m

So it'll take about 18 years to pay down th cost of the new Stadium as 30m * 18 = 540m

It's all about the numbers. What is the expectation in terms of revenue over what period of time Vs cost up front of building.

If I was the owners I’d be trying to force the councils hand with a play to completely rebuild the stadium and regenerate the whole area but only if they CPO the crap out of the local area. Opportunity to bring the council in as partners to give them a much needed windfall. 

Either that or you buy council land somewhere in the city for cheap knowing they are desperate for the money and build the new stadium there. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

If there was some way to harness the kinetic energy wasted from people on VT typing on keyboards about building a new stadium, we could potentially decommission a power station or two. 

The funds we could get from selling that electricity could even go towards a new stadium. I love your thinking.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

If we're not in Aston we're not Aston Villa.

we're in Witton, so technically we are Witton Villa.....Nahhhhhhhhhhhhh

1 hour ago, Talldarkandransome said:

You already can walk from those stations, longish walk but it's doable. Wouldn't fancy it in the dark though

Nice, shiny new Claret & Blue painted, one

miners lamp.jpg

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, PeterSw said:

Like people have said, we can knock VP down rebuild on roughly the same spot a la Spurs but its everything surrounding Villa Park itself that would be the blocker for that. It would have to be a Man City/Eastlands type of regeneration of Villa Park and the surrounding area and that would cost billions

If we buy out a small patch of land that appears to have two houses and a car park on it,  agree a way for the Whitton Road to be diverted, and move a patch of playing area to a lower part of land that we already own....

we could do something similar to spurs  where we build 2 of the stands North of the existing stadium while it carries on being used, before knocking the North down to build the 3rd. Leaves us probably a season to have to find somewhere else to play when we knock it all down and build the 4th, unless the pitch can be laid and we play in our new stadium with 3 stands. 

I'm not an engineer so may be impossible but to my uneducated brain looks far easier than finding a whole new plot of land in the vicinity of Aston or nearer to the city

The rest of the land we own after the existing stadium is removed can then be converted to public use or made into our multipurpose events centre.

Not that I see this happening, but it's the kind of thing I'd hope our owners have investigated, along with many other options, as we simply cannot continue with the North stand as it is for many more years. It seems to be the lowest impact on the existing houses, but I think a whole area regeneration, with new houses and a stadium as part of it would be the best option. 

The council being totally bankrupt means they aren't funding anything, but might welcome the area having money spent on it by a third party. Don't see how we'd fund that though, unless Atairos are slipped some money by Nas and do it themselves. 

• Like 1

Either we need more seats or we don't, I don't care about VP being a tourist hub or a place to go on a non matchday.

I'm not convinced we'd fill 50k every home game, maybe twice a season. 

I certainly don't want it moving to some random area that means nothing, the name is Aston Villa so should be in Aston. 

Just fix the bogs, the queues and make the shop bigger

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's possible of course - but they're been consistent directly and across two GM's now that they see Villa Park as the clubs home both now and in future. 

Where were the reports on Villa moving when they purchased the club?

I’ll try and dig it out as I’m sure I read they looked at it but would cost close to a billion… Maybe it was on MOMs or something perhaps 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I would be very surprised if that's the case. The club have stated it's not something they are considering and have further stated that they never see us leaving Villa Park. 

It's increasingly odd to me that the club backed out of plans to develop a single stand on the basis that they were too ambitious and the fanbase have taken that disappointment to mean not ambitious enough. The reaction borders on the peculiar.

"We're not buying a new Ford Focus this year, the old one is perfectly suitable for the driving we're doing".

"Wait, you mean....we're buying a Ferrari?"

Yes the decision was so batshit that people seem to think we are suddenly about to find a brilliant piece of  land with ideal transport links and build a new stadium at 5 times the cost.

Either nothing will happen, or we will do this in about 5 years time when Heck is no longer CEO and the costs will have gone up a further 20%.

32 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I would be very surprised if that's the case. The club have stated it's not something they are considering and have further stated that they never see us leaving Villa Park. 

It's increasingly odd to me that the club backed out of plans to develop a single stand on the basis that they were too ambitious and the fanbase have taken that disappointment to mean not ambitious enough. The reaction borders on the peculiar.

"We're not buying a new Ford Focus this year, the old one is perfectly suitable for the driving we're doing".

"Wait, you mean....we're buying a Ferrari?"

To be fair, the argument Heck gave about the seats not being in demand was complete horse shit 

If he meant to say "the demand for GE+ isn't there," he should have said that. Instead he mentioned the 200 seats that dont sell out because people either didnt know about them, or they come available too late for people to actually rearrange commitments to make it.

I dont think the lies given for why its not happening can be used to explain why something else might not happen.

And you overlay the fact the North stand actually prevents us from making money,  and is too cramped for that to ever change, you being to think they have to do something. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's absolutely baffling. I think I've run out of ways to write 'it isn't happening, the club have said repeatedly and explicitly it isn't happening, none of the background work that would be necessary is happening'. 

Ultimately whatever is causing this bizarre belief that we're about to move, what will eventually kill it off is the dawning realisation that it keeps not happening. 

I get that but at the same time I think many of us trying to get our head round the logic of us seemingly not wanting to do anything to the ground now.  They can't really be looking to get another decade at least out of it the way it is, with a refurbed warehouse added on.

• Like 1

Â