Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Feels like short term thinking. Capitalise on the extra interest next season and a full house every week rather than lose money by only having 36k seats.

Long term that's a drop in the ocean though.

Heck will be entirely short term thinking. He won't be here in 5 years, arguably not even 3. He needs to pad his CV with short term ready deliverables - stuff that easily drives sales. The stadium is potentially a big millstone around his career so in the bin it goes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nepal_villan said:

My guess is that the hospitality packages (beyond the TV and LG) are not quite selling as they had hoped and stadium expansion only really makes FINANCIAL sense if you can bring in big time hospitality dollars.  

Hospitality is rammed and you can't get a seat for love nor money. I tried to get some extra for the Fulham game and was told there were hundreds of people with their name on the waiting list.

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Feels like short term thinking. Capitalise on the extra interest next season and a full house every week rather than lose money by only having 36k seats.

Long term that's a drop in the ocean though.

That's my thinking as well.

2 minutes ago, Risso said:

Dreadful short term decision, from someone who seems utterly clueless. All investments have a short term downside, but then in a couple of years we'd have 10,000 extra seats for ever more. 

We've got the 8th biggest stadium in the Premier League, and it's 10,000 smaller than the 7th biggest. To compete you need the extra revenue that extra fans bring. "We're adding too many seats, too fast."  Utter, utter moron.

I'd be expecting his resignation before the weeks it if I were the owners.

He's looking to protect his own arse and pad his CV with easy wins and doesn't want the trouble of the stadium work when he won't be given the kudos for it and he won't be able to brag how much income it brought in, because he won't be here. So he'll be delightfully doing easy commercial deals and pushing cheap income gains off hospitality and ticket packages and merchandising, but the stuff that'll by helping the club in decades to come, no no no.

It really sounds like Heck is concerned about having 10,000 extra people use the existing transport links around Villa Park and I do understand where he's coming from. Anyone who visited the ground when we were pulling in 30,000 fans in the Championship can attest to how much worse travelling in is now we're filling VP again. Now add 10,000 more fans on to already strained transport links and it's clear to see there's a problem. Perhaps he wants that solved before moving ahead with extra seats.

I still think it's a weird decision given we've clearly put a lot of effort into those plans and, as I said in another thread, we're simply moving this same problem to another season.

• Like 4

simple really. terrace view and lower grounds sales have been much lower than they anticipated, this will boost things as people who might have been waiting for the new stand to be built now will be considering hospitality

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

This does seem like really short-term thinking. However, it's possible that they're concerned about rampant inflation in construction projects, and it's worth remembering that the country's main builder of football stands has gone into administration recently; it doesn't seem like a great environment to be launching a new project. Not happy about it, just trying to contextualise the decision. 

That side of things isn't going to get any better in the short to medium term though.

I do get the travel issues though - that has to be sorted to allow another 10k folk in every other weekend.

12 minutes ago, Risso said:

Hospitality is rammed and you can't get a seat for love nor money. I tried to get some extra for the Fulham game and was told there were hundreds of people with their name on the waiting list.

My family is coming over from California and I have hospitality for Sheffield United and Burnley matches and  I was surprised how easy it was to secure. I did reserve it 3-4 months in advance - so both our experiences could be true.

Â