Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

need to get back into the prem then start filling the ground on  a regular basis before we even think about it. no point spending money on the north stand until we are ready to increase capacity which could be a few years yet.

Well, to look at it another way, Recon seem to be heavily involved in architecture and urban design, and what better way to advertise your design chops than with a fancy new stadium?

Also, if we are expecting lower spectator numbers redevelopment would be less disruptive now.

no way would i want a new stadium and no way do we need one. i see your point in the last sentence but we need to be doing really well to be hitting 50k most weeks so is it worth the risk? if we are only a mid table prem team in the next few seasons then we will average between 35-38k and in a ground which holds 50k say,then its really pointless. if we can get up first or second attempt(lets face it,there is a lot of work to do) then build an exciting team in the prem i think it will have a snowball effect and the ground will be 40k most weeks. hopefully its the start of a exciting era for this great old club.

Build it and they will come!

You don't add seats when you need them. If he plans to take us to the top then it makes more sense to rebuild over the next season when attendances will be lower and have it ready for the following year when we need the space.

From what I've heard the Chinese are great at building walls, so welcome the new owners ambition and forward thinking to start now rather than wait like our past overlord.

8 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

no way would i want a new stadium and no way do we need one. i see your point in the last sentence but we need to be doing really well to be hitting 50k most weeks so is it worth the risk? if we are only a mid table prem team in the next few seasons then we will average between 35-38k and in a ground which holds 50k say,then its really pointless. if we can get up first or second attempt(lets face it,there is a lot of work to do) then build an exciting team in the prem i think it will have a snowball effect and the ground will be 40k most weeks. hopefully its the start of a exciting era for this great old club.

Yeah, of course, just saying that there might be reasons why Recon might consider it. It wouldn't necessarily be worth it from the club's perspective agreed.

We need to generate revenue to offset FFP. Any early building is likely to be chasing corporate money, mainly away from match days. I suspect a new shop / hotel / conference centre to take advantage of the communications links. The same at Bodymoor if HST isn't taking too much land.

• Like 2

Er lets not get too carried away. At best we will be getting about 30,000 next season.  Lerner came in with grand plans for expansion- only to find that we rarely fill it. With no prem football that is not going to change any time soon. Perhaps if we finally actually punch at our weight  than yes maybe in the future we can dust down those plans but plan a- is takeover, b- a proper football structure and decent players, c- promotion, d- winning attractive football at home at a consistent basis, then maybe e- ground development.

Edit- it is one of things that does make Villa an attractive investment even with Lerner as we have a good stadium with land and potential to make it even better. But that is a long way down the line.

Edited by The Fun Factory

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

No to a new fecking stadium thanks. Tear down The Holte and you tear out our heart. 

This is the kind of thinking which hampers us, of course I understand the sentiment. However it is 2016! How do you think the likes of Arsenal, West Ham, City etc cope? Even with a new stadium we can always have remnants of our history. That said I would also just prefer the current site to be upgraded. This reminds me of a few years ago when some people on here were actually pissed off about us upgrading to the new leather style seats in the dugout! lol

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is the kind of thinking which hampers us, of course I understand the sentiment. However it is 2016! How do you think the likes of Arsenal, West Ham, City etc cope? Even with a new stadium we can always have remnants of our history. That said I would also just prefer the current site to be upgraded. This reminds me of a few years ago when some people on here were actually pissed off about us upgrading to the new leather style seats in the dugout! lol

Why do we need a new stadium? Just for the hell of it? Plenty of land there to expand VP as it is. 

Your second example is absolutely ridiculous. They're nothing like the same.

Have you ever been to The Etihad or The Emirates? Soulless, miserable places. No thanks. It's simply not necessary.

I reckon we will start on the north stand pdq. It will be developed much larger in terms of seats as that would be easy to do raising the overall VP capacity but mainly I suspect putting in state of the art corporate facilities and other areas behind the seats which would have commercial revenue generating opportunities such as hotel / restaurants / conference facilities. 

Also if he does deliver on his promise to make us the top team in China you can expect several thousand on the gate from visiting Chinese tourists. We will see more half and half scarves. 

Do this now we can keep open the upper Trinity whilst the north stand is out of action and we have lower Aston Villa founded football league crowds and development finished in time for the return to the prem next season

A new stadium would certainly be a statement of intent. However I think it will probably be investment around VP. The Doc has it all worked out so I won't worry about it too much 

• Like 1

Â