Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

19 minutes ago, maqroll said:

i want to share the same enthusiasm. i haven't written him off in any way, i just think it has the potential to get totally out of control, and become an unwanted burden on the players and manager.

Often I am the same, I just think, until there is evidence to counter his claims, then let's go with it.  Not that we have much choice either way! :) 

32 minutes ago, maqroll said:

i want to share the same enthusiasm. i haven't written him off in any way, i just think it has the potential to get totally out of control, and become an unwanted burden on the players and manager.

I think you're overthinking it a touch and catastrophising. 

I would suggest the squad, manager included, love it, it takes the heat off them. Rather than talk about our embarrassing defeat to Luton the press are talking about Tony. 

It could go tits up, sure. Worrying about that happening isn't going to change anything. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3

One of the reasons the press aren't talking about our embarrassing defeat to Luton is that it's villa , it's par for the course it isn't news . I doubt they'd talk about it anyway. What they are talking about is the "strange" tweets of our owner and adding yet another doubt about his ability 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

One of the reasons the press aren't talking about our embarrassing defeat to Luton is that it's villa , it's par for the course it isn't news . I doubt they'd talk about it anyway. What they are talking about is the "strange" tweets of our owner and adding yet another doubt about his ability 

I don't agree with the first part, either way Tony was straight on it taking the heat off them. I don't find his tweets strange nor is there anything in them that casts doubt on his ability IMO. It would be bizarre to judge a mans ability to run a football club on a series of tweets.   

The fans at large, on twitter at least, seem to be rallying around him. The press can go suck a dick, particularly the Birmingham Mail. Click bait words removed. 

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

@lapal_fan makes a bloody good point too, at least we're not **** boring anymore. He's giving us identity. 

Yep, I don't care if every fan in the world, even some of our own start to hate the brashness.

We tried being the good guys of football that got praised by other clubs for the way we went about transfer dealings and that got us nowhere.

AVFC, words removed of the Midlands.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gary Thomas said:

Love him. He is proactive, determined, ridiculously ambitious, loaded, a bit crazy - oh and he likes to communicate with fans and he says what he thinks.

We need to win some games otherwise it's all going to come crashing down in time.

It's a good thing I guess we're out of the prem as we  certainly are now a non-entity to the press. They'd be all over Xia's tweets if we were still up there like when Krulak was comparing Gold and Sullivan to pigs. 

2 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Yep, I don't care if every fan in the world, even some of our own start to hate the brashness.

We tried being the good guys of football that got praised by other clubs for the way we went about transfer dealings and that got us nowhere.

AVFC, words removed of the Midlands.

Can we win some games aswell while we're at it?

• Like 2

To me it is like when Big Ron came to Villa.  We were seen as a nothing club.  A bit of excitement with Taylor a couple of seasons before but really a run of mill team.

With Big Ron came the quotes etc and the football world focused back on us for a bit.  Earl Barret chose Villa over Arsenal and we started to attract the better players.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We need to win some games otherwise it's all going to come crashing down in time.

It's a good thing I guess we're out of the prem as we  certainly are now a non-entity to the press. They'd be all over Xia's tweets if we were still up there like when Krulak was comparing Gold and Sullivan to pigs. 

The thing is I don't care if they "are all over Xia's tweets" - who gives a shit about the media.  They slag Villa and talk down the club at every opportunity anyway. 

Edit - of course we need to win some games as well.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

To me it is like when Big Ron came to Villa.  We were seen as a nothing club.  A bit of excitement with Taylor a couple of seasons before but really a run of mill team.

With Big Ron came the quotes etc and the football world focused back on us for a bit.  Earl Barret chose Villa over Arsenal and we started to attract the better players.

Spot on.

If you tell people that you (yourself) want to win, want to be the best, come be a part of an exciting new project - people will lap that shit up all day.  Those players will run through walls for you too, because they believe it.

Compare that with the austerity we've experienced over the last 5/6 years.  Look at the people we've purchased, look at their records, look at where they are in their careers.. why would any of those players come and try hard? (I'm looking at players like Lescott (32, career coming down, no drive, won the PL, played PC), Richards (28, won PL, not played for nearly 2 years because teams think he's crap - NOW OUR CAPTAIN!?), Hutton (came from Spurs, thinks he's a good PL defender, nothing to prove).

Now let's look at our so called successes from last year, Amavi, young, came to a new country, wants to break into the French NT, wants to become a proven PL player.  Ayew, came to a new country, young, wants to progress his career, he's mentioned CL football etc.

It's absolutely no coincidence that we went down last year, the writing was on the wall in August with the so call experienced players (aka morons) we bought in.

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I suppose the fault line is whether you are or aren't bothered about the club becoming a laughing stock.

Like many others, I'm extremely bothered about how the club is run and our results on the pitch (hence supporting AVPG/OTDO74), but can't really rev up the ol' give-a-**** meter when it comes to how some skallywag in Liverpool feels about Villa, because the media told him him Tony is a twittering tool.

That's not to say I think it's a good idea that he mouths off on Twitter, just that the "fall out" doesn't really bother me.

In the words of Bart and Lisa Simpson... Meh.

Â