Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

They definitely are. 

I think it's generally younger fans that got hung up on his every Twitter comment or liking of a post. 

As you get older you stop caring. 

As you get even older you forget what Twitter is. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

Not sure anyone is affected by them.  However as this is a Villa forum and he is Villa owner who has said something i guess we are all just passing opinion on it,  some which people agree with and some which they dont.

Sure. I'm passing on my opinion that pulling him up for posting a rousing and indeed uncontroversial speech is **** bonkers.

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think it's generally younger fans that got hung up on his every Twitter comment or liking of a post. 

At what age do you forget who Gabby is?

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Twitter was created in 2006 so that's a pretty quick demise of the grey matter!

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

Personally, I think RDM would tell him in no uncertain terms if it was to look like becoming a problem.

This for me hits the nail on the head. If people at the club feel that Tony is treading on their toes, or acting outside of any agreements on remits they thought they had, they'll simply up and leave.

Unless we see staff walkouts, I think it's safe to assume that everyone at the club is singing off the same hymn sheet and working together to restore the club to where it should be.

It's easy to get carried away with things.

And I think Dr X has tweeted a couple of things that maybe the victim of this.

I can imagine that if any other member of his staff/team in his other businesses that he either owns or is responsible for, gets paid nearly a 1/4 million £ a month, those staff/team deliver accordingly.

He was/is more than likely absolutely infuriated by Gabys stance. He probably invested a lot of time and energy into "finding an acceptable solution" saving face for both the club & Gaby, only for Gaby to make it clear "Contract - money I stay".

One can be of the opinion that tweet was not professional. But Imagine the real feelings of Dr X about it all and what he would really like to say!

"What? You want to stay and collect your money.....#^*~•¥'#%^*+=;~<>¥•............!!!!!!!!!!!

I think he expressed himself mildly publicly as oppose to what he either Said to Gaby/Would like to say to Gaby

On the one hand there is a valid complaint that as the big boss he should not be publicly commenting on the particular situation of a player, regardless of whether that player is basically making mugs of us all. I get that. 

By the same token he shouldn't be attempting to create a culture or set a high bar for staff and players alike, either directly or indirectly?

So pray tell, what is he allowed to do? Provide the money and STFU? I'm sorry but no. That's what Randy Lerner did and look where that lead us. This club being rudderless was far and away the biggest factor in our downfall. 

A very wise man once said to me that this club was like a fish rotting from the head down. Managers will come and go, as will players, Tony is the owner and the chairman. It is absolutely on him to set the tone, give the club character and disseminate a fighting spirit through every facet of the club, big or small. 

I love that speech. It's perfect. THAT'S the Aston Villa I want. Not just for RDM's Aston Villa, but forever. No matter where we are at on any given Saturday.  

Fight like Lions. Fight for every inch...

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Richard said:

Not sure his tweets will be toned down @TRO following on from earlier debate where you felt he may change in time...

What's your issue with that? Genuine question? I'm still baffled as to what you would allow him to tweet.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

33 minutes ago, Richard said:

Not sure his tweets will be toned down @TRO following on from earlier debate where you felt he may change in time...

though after the initial excitement and newness of owning a football club, eventually he'll be spreading his time more evenly across all his businesses. 

so the volume of tweets may die down to just the occasional tweet. 

53 minutes ago, Richard said:

I think you misunderstood his tweet, Richard?

His post is basically saying: most important thing about running a club is doing 'business', i.e. Interacting, with fans, in response to another post which seemed to criticizing on his activity on Twitter.

On 30/08/2016 at 16:47, Richard said:

Fan Liaison

Now the last owner had significantly lost his enthusiasm of being a football club owner.  It has diminished over a number of years.  We have now an owner with renewed excitement ,  I’ll give him that.  In addition it is clear he is more aware of the reach of social media and internet communications in the modern age than the previous owner was and he is clearly determined to exploit it.  My concern is in an apparent naivety of that,  lets say.   Quite obviously a large portion of our fan base is excited and intrigued to get direct communication with an owner after years of having one not interested and not communicating.  To then see that communication basically expose some of the inner workings of the club when all fans of whatever club crave an element of ITK, well its like manna.

For me it is a huge risk and I would prefer that he shy away from such matters as criticism of players,  criticism of opposing clubs, discussions on financials of players,  criticisms of football pundits.  Some have said it is his club and his money he can do what he likes and that they trust his knowledge.  Sorry I disagree.  He does not have an experienced football knowledge and he does not have experience of how football media and reports on football are handled in this country.  If he persists we will get into trouble.  And this is in the championship.  If we do get promoted the spotlight will be on us even more as a club,  it will  be like nothing else.  Yes the communication lines with the fan base needed to be improved but I would much rather an ex player be employed in some official fan liaison / communication role.  Someone like an Ian Taylor for example to manage the communications.  Not saying he should not tweet at all,  I think direct contact with an owner and for fans to feel an owner is not distant can be a huge positive,  especially in generating a “we are all in this together” team atmosphere.  I just think some of the things are very unwise and could be more harm than good. They may even come with good intentions,  like quotes that he finds inspirational,  but I’m afraid that they come with a scrutiny that is unwelcome. Things like raising expectations to a level that cannot be achieved as well.  Advice here is under promise and over deliver.  Not the other way around.

In addition when he gets involved in some elements of player management it concerns me greatly as he is owner,  not manager.  He does not have the football skill or experience and he should employ and trust experts to do that.  Of course he has a financial approval but not a technical opinion as far as I am concerned.

@DDID,  I can only repeat what I said some pages ago.

10 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

I think you misunderstood his tweet, Richard?

His post is basically saying: most important thing about running a club is doing 'business', i.e. Interacting, with fans, in response to another post which seemed to criticizing on his activity on Twitter.

Not sure to be honest.  It was in response to this " I don't think owners or chairman should have Twitter. If they do it shouldn't be about club business ".

The response from our owner I read as saying - Thats the old days friend. I think all football club business is fans business.

• Like 1

Â