Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Not a fan of him associating an evil piece of shit like Chairman Mao with our football club tbh. 

Better Mao than Alex Ferguson :-)

India is a huge unexploited area. Surely one of those 1.52 billion people are going to be world class? ;)

I like the sound of the facilities as well. Anyone would be lucky to train on that! :detect:

Villa’s academy will be located in New Delhi on property provided by the Municipal Council, including a 3G pitch and offices, changing rooms, gym, classrooms and other amenities.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2016/07/25/aston-villa-plans-in-india?

I know we have done nothing on the pitch yet, but I am starting to think we have hit the jackpot with this owner - not just in wealth terms, anyone can have a rich owner, but I think he is going to promote villa all over the world - imagine if we become a top 6 PL team in say 5-6 years with a massive fan base in India and China!  Suddenly our income stream would be right up there.

The other thing that gives me confidence is that for all this global work and investment to really pay off we have to be successful on the pitch - there is no way Tony is going to let us linger in the championship for long.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 3

Great news and a positive step forwards for the club with that deal. He seems to have a plan, which is a bit of a novelty for us. The great news is that he isn't hanging around at all.

There seems to be a fantastic business acumen beneath that oversized suit of his.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hippo said:

Don't fully understand the implications. But to get that set up in a matter of weeks speaks volumes - what he lacks in wealth - he can more than make up for in ideas.

And how exactly is he lacking in wealth?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, hippo said:

Don't fully understand the implications. But to get that set up in a matter of weeks speaks volumes - what he lacks in wealth - he can more than make up for in ideas.

To be fair none of us know how long the talks have been taking place and Villa may have been the final piece in the jigsaw.  Steve Hollis did say that Xia had some grand plans for the club and this may have been in the pipeline for a while

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gary Thomas said:

I know we have done nothing on the pitch yet, but I am starting to think we have hit the jackpot with this owner - not just in wealth terms, anyone can have a rich owner, but I think he is going to promote villa all over the world - imagine if we become a top 6 PL team in say 5-6 years with a massive fan base in India and China!  Suddenly our income stream would be right up there.

The other thing that gives me confidence is that for all this global work and investment to really pay off we have to be successful on the pitch - there is no way Tony is going to let us linger in the championship for long.

I was just about to post, that I remember Hollis saying in one of his interviews that we were lucky he chose us! Very much looking forward to that being the case.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Will take years and years and years to produce any good Indian players.  Hes in it for the fans i guess.

Not really. You could find a 15-year old star in a year (unlikely, but possible) and have him at Villa within 2 or 3 years.

13 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I swear I just spat coffee all over my phone loling at this! 

I do find his tweets quite endearing in all honesty but I get the feeling if results don't go our way or we stagnate in the transfer market (out as well as incoming players) they could become a little annoying.

• Like 1

a population of 1.25 billion people I'm sure there may be one or two talented kids who like soccer as a second sport because they aren't good enough for cricket!

Demographically, also one of the youngest populations in the world

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-in-school/india-has-worlds-largest-youth-population-un-report/article6612615.ece

"With 356 million 10-24 year-olds, India has the world’s largest youth population despite having a smaller population than China....."

Edit: somewhere in that 356 million is our Indian Gareth Bale....

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

Â