Relegation thread 2016/17

GingerCollins29

how likely is it though? We have no manager and no investment and already miles behind clubs for next season in preparation

No investment? Eh?

Funds were made available to Garde in January but he went for a player who couldn't get a permit.

Also, all of the money from the Benteke and Delph sales were invested in the squad. The squad that we still have and can therefore sell to get new funds to buy new players.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

how likely is it though? We have no manager and no investment and already miles behind clubs for next season in preparation

Quite likely, very likely in fact. Of course we might recruit poorly in the summer but the chances of us going into next season with more or less the same squad are very small.

1 hour ago, bose said:

As things stand today we are looking more likely to go down again, than going up.

An owner that wants out, no permanent manager, a terrible caretaker manager, a hopeless squad, a board that has lost its most influential members, fans that have no faith in the club and so on. 

But I'm hopeful a takeover will happen soon and things will look brighter but if it doesn't we'll be favorites for the drop.

Only if we're going into the new season with the same players and Black as manager, the odds of which are incredibly slim.

Edited by Mantis

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

My point is that people always point to examples like Wolves or Wigan while ignoring the fact that there are far more clubs who went down but didn't go straight down again the next season.

Different clubs, different circumstances. For what it's worth, even Derby who got even less points than us didn't go down again.

I don't think people are ignoring you. Nobody has suggested that most teams double drop. Only that some have and as things go we've one of the worst top flight teams in history, no board, no manager etc etc. 

So it is possible. It's not ridiculous. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't think people are ignoring you. Nobody has suggested that most teams double drop. Only that some have and as things go we've one of the worst top flight teams in history, no board, no manager etc etc. 

So it is possible. It's not ridiculous. 

Thing is, dropping down again isn't really that relevant to performance in the league the season before. Wigan went straight down again despite only just going down while as I said Derby were the worst team and didn't go down again. Same goes for the two Sunderland teams that got less points than us I think.

I don't necessarily think it's ridiculous but I do think some people are exaggerating it.

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

No investment? Eh?

Funds were made available to Garde in January but he went for a player who couldn't get a permit.

Also, all of the money from the Benteke and Delph sales were invested in the squad. The squad that we still have and can therefore sell to get new funds to buy new players.

Oh Christ, the "funds were made available for Garde" line. 

Very limited funds were made available and we missed out on several targets due to insufficient funding. £4m won't get us out of the championship. 

Sell who and for what? We could sell our 5 best players and barely scrape £25m. 

• Like 2

Just now, Mantis said:

Thing is, dropping down again isn't really that relevant to performance in the league the season before. Wigan went straight down again despite only just going down while as I said Derby were the worst team and didn't go down again. Same goes for the two Sunderland teams that got less points than us I think.

I don't necessarily think it's ridiculous but I do think some people are exaggerating it.

The manner in which we have gone down is key also. The state in which the club finds itself off the pitch. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The manner in which we have gone down is key also. The state in which the club finds itself off the pitch. 

I don't think it's as relevant as some make out. In a strange way, it's probably better that we've gone down like this because there's less chance of complacency next season and more chance of real change.

30 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I don't think it's as relevant as some make out. In a strange way, it's probably better that we've gone down like this because there's less chance of complacency next season and more chance of real change.

Who is in control of that? Randy?

39 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Oh Christ, the "funds were made available for Garde" line. 

Very limited funds were made available and we missed out on several targets due to insufficient funding. £4m won't get us out of the championship. 

Sell who and for what? We could sell our 5 best players and barely scrape £25m. 

and would need to do it sharpish to be able to recruit replacements

25 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I doubt he'll have much direct influence, presuming there's no takeover.

so we have football inexperienced Steve Hollis and a total cock womble in Krulak ? great

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

I expect more people will be brought in if there's no takeover.

brought in by a football inexperienced Hollis and a cock womble Krulak

23 minutes ago, Richard said:

I'm not dismissing the appointments I'm dismissing the people making them on very relevant past experience

To be fair, Hollis hasn't really been in the job long enough to judge him.

55 minutes ago, Mantis said:

To be fair, Hollis hasn't really been in the job long enough to judge him.

I feel sorry for Hollis

I like this thread.

After somehow convincing myself last summer that fun times were ahead and then getting to no longer giving a flying love making by Xmas because we were done. Then having to suffer 5 more months of mind numbing incompetence and it's still not over...

So this summer: Set the bar low. Misery, misery, misery (except when Engurlund lose on penos to the Germans), and then maybe, just maybe I can get some enjoyment out of supporting this bleeding football club next season.

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

so Poignant.

and oh so bloody worrying.

Â