Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

47 minutes ago, Richard said:

I prefer to view it as "O me of realistic assessment"

Fair enough. We'll be in a better position to speculate when we know the final make-up of the squad. If we can add a proven quality striker and a couple more players of the same quality we've  purchased, while keeping hold of our better players, or at least most of them, I would say it is realistic to think we will be in with a good shot at promotion.  I hear what your saying about "getting them all playing together to a new system and used to each other and the league" but i have a lot of faith that RDM, Clark and Bond, with their combined experience, will get it done. 

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JPAngel said:

Okay, with this in mind and seeing as this all stemmed from a team selection which every reply considered ridiculous to the point of satire I'll end with this:

Guzan is garbage and to call him our best goalkeeper is just not true.

A back four on Hutton, Clark, Okore and Amavi will just not happen for the majority of the season unless we don't sign another right back and Elphick gets injured for the whole season.

Your chosen midfield on Bacuna, Gana, Gil, Traore and Agbonlahor would get absolutely battered in the championship. (Especially as you see Gana as an attacking midfielder so I'm not sure where your defensive players are in there?)

Top it all off with Kozak as the main striker... I don't even know where to start. Your opinion on this is so far from what most would deem as accurate, I don't think I can carry on speaking to you about it. I'm not saying you're wrong for a fact, but we will have to agree to disagree.

I don't see Gana as an attacking midfielder. I think he is a more balanced player than he is given credit for though and a better option in a more attacking role than our other DM's.

I chose Gana and Bacuna to play almost as 2 box to box midfielders. Gana with more defensive responsibility and Bacuna with more attacking responsibility but I think it suits them to be both defensive and offensive. It worked in a game last season and I'd like to see it tried again. They have the energy, drive and all the other attributes necessary to make it work. 

It's also the only way I could incorporate Traore, Gil, Kozak and Agbonlahor in the same team in their best or close to their best positions. If these four are fit and firing and playing together I can't see us struggling to create chances or score.

Edited by Michael118

Thinking about it in a bit more depth I would use Bacuna and Gana as two DM's with a license to attack. It wouldn't be too dissimilar to the role Bacuna plays at RB but he could use his more natural attacking qualities to better effect in a central role. Gana to play a similar role he did last season but encouraged to attack too if an opportunity is there. Having them as 2 DM's suits the formation better with so many attacking players around and ahead of them. 

Traore, Gil, Kozak and Agbonlahor I can see being in tune with each other and linking up well. It would be a huge shame if we never got to see that.

57 minutes ago, useless said:

Whichever team is suggested at the moment isn't going to look very good.

I disagree-It's taking shape and given that none of our (very few) assets have left us yet, we could fileld  a team on paper that doesn't look too bad> The goalkeeper and defence are OK, other than RB. A central midfield two from Tishibola, Gana and Vertout (or even Westwood). Grealish one side of them, Adama the other, Awye and Kozak up front.

I didn't mean that I don't think we're capable of putting out a good team, just that whatever the line-up, as things stand there's going to be question marks, and at the moment we're relying a lot on potential rather than proven quality.

• Like 1

If we are going with a 4-2-3-1 (I hate that formation) for the season then we do need a few key players to make it work.

gollini

hutton (would prefer a new RB but he's ok for our level)
elphick
okore
amavi

gana
tshibola

?
Grealish
?

?

So, as things stand, three key positions need filled (assuming Ayew & Traore go). Gestede just isn't a good enough technical player to play as a lone striker in that system, nor quick enough to play a more counter attacking game away from home.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

3 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

If we are going with a 4-2-3-1 (I hate that formation) for the season then we do need a few key players to make it work.

gollini

elphick
okore
amavi

gana
tshibola

?
Grealish
?

?

So, as things stand, three key positions need filled (assuming Ayew & Traore go). Gestede just isn't a good enough technical player to play as a lone striker in that system, nor quick enough to play a more counter attacking game away from home.

I very much agree with you.

And even if they stay a few quality additions are needed badly to stay in contention for direct promotion - the depth of the squad is far from sufficient, imo.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think our depth is o.k tbh but general starting 11 we need to first of all keep the key players at the club and hope they all apply themselves and be sufficiently motivated to get this club back up.

I think the team is lacking a midfield enforcer and a pair of legs. Barry back with a young DM at his side would bring stability. 

20 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

gollini

elphick
okore
amavi

gana
tshibola

?
Grealish
?

?

Generally agree, but not sure Hutton is OK for our level, not if we are talking about pushing for the top spots. 

Also don't think Traore will go and still hopeful we might hold on to Ayew. The big risk is if someone like Ayew gets a late transfer - RDM needs to know one way or the other.

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Braindead Bacuna...in the middle of the pitch? A man who cannot control a football, pass a football, takes a week to decide what to do and has no awareness of anyone, teammate or opposition. No. Not in midfield. Not in a billion **** years 

He has good vision, he can tackle, he’s direct, he’s energetic, he’s creative, he can play an excellent pass. Sounds like the makings of a CM to me.

In a 2 man midfield he’ll have more space and freedom to better utilize the ability he has to play defense splitting passes. His driving runs forward will be more damaging because they will be coming from the centre of the pitch. He also will have less time to decide what to do which could be a blessing in disguise for him.

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Braindead Bacuna...in the middle of the pitch? A man who cannot control a football, pass a football, takes a week to decide what to do and has no awareness of anyone, teammate or opposition. No. Not in midfield. Not in a billion **** years 

But what about a defensive mid who also attacks? :crylaugh:

Â