Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

I get why people are being conservative, but I prefer to be positive and hopeful at this stage. No point worrying about what we haven't got or what might go wrong, we don't even know what the squad looks like yet. Yes, there are issues and previous form suggests we may struggle, BUT we have a lot of talent in our squad.  Plus, we finally have a good coaching team in place, money to spend, and new players coming in, so who's to say we can't turn it around and do something incredible - stranger things have happened.  The championship is a very competitive league, but it ain't no premier league - literally every game is winnable for us and many of our players are good enough for that league. Things are changing massively at the club, we should set our expectations higher rather than dwelling on the past, I think we'll be somewhere in the top 3.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

I get why people are being conservative, but I prefer to be positive and hopeful at this stage. No point worrying about what we haven't got or what might go wrong, we don't even know what the squad looks like yet. Yes, there are issues and previous form suggests we may struggle, BUT we have a lot of talent in our squad.  Plus, we finally have a good coaching team in place, money to spend, and new players coming in, so who's to say we can't turn it around and do something incredible - stranger things have happened.  The championship is a very competitive league, but it ain't no premier league - literally every game is winnable for us and many of our players are good enough for that league. Things are changing massively at the club, we should set our expectations higher rather than dwelling on the past, I think we'll be somewhere in the top 3.

Disagree on the coaching staff

Money to spend is debatable IMO 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Disagree on the coaching staff

Money to spend is debatable IMO 

Why is money to spend debatable, when nothing has been shown to the contrary and all noises from the club since the takeover are that we have a healthy budget?  By all accounts we're about to spend 4 on Gollini, up to 5 on Tshibola, already 3 on Elphick.  Nah, I'm not seeing it.

Just now, BOF said:

Why is money to spend debatable, when nothing has been shown to the contrary and all noises from the club since the takeover are that we have a healthy budget?  By all accounts we're about to spend 4 on Gollini, up to 5 on Tshibola, already 3 on Elphick.  Nah, I'm not seeing it.

OK - I meant the amount of money. Largely I think our purchases will be funded by player sales. The likes of Mccormack\Gayle appear to be beyond our means - hence the Bamford loan link.

8 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

you would keep Bunn but not Steer who had a good season at Huddersfield and didnt get caught in his own net

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

you would keep Bunn but not Steer who had a good season at Huddersfield and didnt get caught in his own net

Don't see that much between them to be honest, but we don't need four keepers (assuming the Gollini deal goes through). Maybe sell Guzan instead?  Battara can then work with Bunn and Steer and they can fight it out between them for the no2 spot. 

Personally would sell Guzan and Steer (probably got a little bit of a sell on value considering he had a decent season at Huddersfield).

Then keep Bunn (probably most likely of the 3 we currently have to be content with a backup role) as backup and use Sarkic as third choice.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

OK - I meant the amount of money. Largely I think our purchases will be funded by player sales. The likes of Mccormack\Gayle appear to be beyond our means - hence the Bamford loan link.

That is one HELL of a reach. We've been heavily linked with both McCormack and Bamford. 

Let's be honest, you're just guessing. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That is one HELL of a reach. We've been heavily linked with both McCormack and Bamford. 

In his defence he did say debatable.  He never said both sides of the debate were equal :P

3 hours ago, hippo said:

Based on what ?

Edited by terrytini

15 hours ago, Ikantcpell said:

The same shower of shite that got us relegated.

Hardly much point in travelling to Austria with just the 4 or 5 players that weren't involved in the relegation....

15 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Absolutely Im guessing. It wasn't my intention to crack on that I had any insider knowledge.

My theory was that given our chronic lack of goalscoring, this would be the area that RDM would target first. Reportedly we were interested in Gayle amd Mccormack. Both pretty much proven at this level - yet we missed out on Gayle and seemed to have cooled on Mccormack in favour of a loan deal for Bamford. Could funding be the issue ? - a distinct possibly in my book - maybe we will land a big name striker who the proceeds from the sale of Ayew.

I accept is always based on press speculation - and of course is IMO.

41 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Hardly much point in travelling to Austria with just the 4 or 5 players that weren't involved in the relegation....

Why are we are going to Austria out of interest ? 

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Why are we are going to Austria out of interest ? 

because we were the wurst team in the prem last year?

I assume it's to get a bit of fitness and team building going and a good chance for RDM to assess the current squad members

Â