Gollini

New RB--- Elphick---Clark---Amavi

Tshibola--Gardner

Adama/Gil                                Grealish

Ayew/Veretout

Gestede/New Striker

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael118 said:

I thought Tshibola was an attacking midfielder. I don’t know why we are signing another DM.

The 2nd team was based on Gana and Tshibola playing more attacking roles. Gana drives forward with the ball well at times and I think he is capable of that.

So you picked a player in a position that you don't even know whether he's capable of playing?

If there's one thing Gana did prove last season, and I like Gana by the way, it's that he can't pass for shit. He's really good, however, at intercepting the ball. As a defensive midfielder. 

You might as well put Gestede at centre half because he's good in the air. 

12 hours ago, Michael118 said:

I thought Tshibola was an attacking midfielder. I don’t know why we are signing another DM.

The 2nd team was based on Gana and Tshibola playing more attacking roles. Gana drives forward with the ball

This is why your team selections are terrible. 

14 hours ago, Michael118 said:

We spent 50 million last season on much of the same except we played them and ended up relegated.  :thumb:

So your answer to remedy this is to "think outside the box", not play any of our new players and play all of the dross that got us relegated last season AGAIN? 

You couldn't make it up! :crylaugh:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bobzy said:

There's no thinking outside the box there - it's just a team of the same players from last season!

No it isn’t.

Clark and Okore have rarely played together since they formed a strong partnership in 2014/15. Gil has been overlooked by previous managers and hasn’t had an extended run in the number 10 position. Kozak has been overlooked by nearly every manager. Traore has spent most of his time on the sub bench. Bacuna was never tried in CM again despite us having nobody else who can play that position. Agbonlahor was cast out by Remi Garde and has been overweight. Every manager insisted on Gestede, Veretout and Ayew as our main attackers and it was a major reason we were relegated. We never got the balance right and we didn't once pick a team close to the one I came up with.

Edited by Michael118

11 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So you picked a player in a position that you don't even know whether he's capable of playing?

If there's one thing Gana did prove last season, and I like Gana by the way, it's that he can't pass for shit. He's really good, however, at intercepting the ball. As a defensive midfielder. 

You might as well put Gestede at centre half because he's good in the air. 

If you mean Gana, I am sure he is capable of playing in that position. He started the season playing as more of a box to box midfielder and looked reasonable. Of all our DM's he is the most attacking and would be most suited to that role.

2 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

If you mean Gana, I am sure he is capable of playing in that position. He started the season playing as more of a box to box midfielder and looked reasonable. Of all our DM's he is the most attacking and would be most suited to that role.

Did you watch Villa last season?

Gana can't pass and can't shoot. How could he even been considered to play in an attacking role? He doesn't have the vision to play that high up the pitch. He's a poor man's Makelele - intercept the pass, move the ball to someone close by who can actually create.

15 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

The only way it's thinking outside the box is if the box is still inside the old box or made out of the same cardboard as the original box, effectively making it the same box. 

The box is made out of cardboard that's been sitting in the cupboard but that cardboard is so much better and stronger than the new shit that's available.

Edited by Michael118

2 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

Did you watch Villa last season?

Gana can't pass and can't shoot. How could he even been considered to play in an attacking role? He doesn't have the vision to play that high up the pitch. He's a poor man's Makelele - intercept the pass, move the ball to someone close by who can actually create.

That's Sanchez.

Gana drives forward with the ball better than anyone else we have excluding maybe Bacuna. He is quick minded and I can see him improving. He has shown good vision at times and has made some excellent passes. His shooting can improve but that is what the strikers are there for.

Just now, Michael118 said:

That's Sanchez.

Gana drives forward with the ball better than anyone else we have excluding maybe Bacuna. He is quick minded and I can see him improving. He has shown good vision at times and has made some excellent passes. His shooting can improve but that is what the strikers are there for.

Not it isn't! Sanchez gets into tackles, he doesn't have the brain for interceptions. When he gets the ball he looks to play it long with rarely any success. Seriously, watch the team.

When has Gana showed good vision? He made one assist in 41 games last season for club and country and averages 0.8 key passes per game?

5 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

Not it isn't! Sanchez gets into tackles, he doesn't have the brain for interceptions. When he gets the ball he looks to play it long with rarely any success. Seriously, watch the team.

When has Gana showed good vision? He made one assist in 41 games last season for club and country and averages 0.8 key passes per game?

Intercept or tackle, they are both defensive contributions. 

When has Gana shown good vision?

0.40, 1.24, 1,48, 1,51, 1.54, 2.03, 2.06, 2.09, 2.12, 2.33, 2.43, 3.01, 3.33

4 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Intercept or tackle, they are both defensive contributions. 

When has Gana shown good vision?

0.40, 1.24, 1,48, 1,51, 1.54, 2.03, 2.06, 2.09, 2.12, 2.33, 2.43, 3.01, 3.33

Once again, you've answered a debate with a highlight reel from Youtube. This is absolutely not representative of the quality of a player and you've just proven that you're basing your opinion on very little. EDIT: I also like how you conveniently ignored the stats about his assists and key passes ;).

Also, to categorize tackling and interceptions as something similar is laughable. Tackling a player in possession and reading the game to intercept a pass couldn't be any further apart. There's a huge difference between reactive defending and preventative defending.

Edited by JPAngel

Just cant see us getting promotion next year.  Still far too much to be done in terms of team recruitment and getting them all playing together to a new system and used to each other and the league we are in.  At the very best i could be persuaded that we would make a late push for 6th should we click into gear after January but there are lots of teams already well established that would be better bets than us

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

Just cant see us getting promotion next year.  Still far too much to be done in terms of team recruitment and getting them all playing together to a new system and used to each other and the league we are in.  At the very best i could be persuaded that we would make a late push for 6th should we click into gear after January but there are lots of teams already well established that would be better bets than us

Could be wrong here, but Championship teams tend to see quite a lot of player movement in the summer transfer window (both ins and outs) - I think we'll be in the same boat as many other clubs when it comes to getting people together in a new system.  As long as we've got enough quality (we do at the moment, but players will leave) then we should be challenging,

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

O ye of little faith......

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

In your opinion.

I think the first part of my post is the bit you missed maybe ? You know the bit that says "I prefer to view it as". 

27 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

Once again, you've answered a debate with a highlight reel from Youtube. This is absolutely not representative of the quality of a player and you've just proven that you're basing your opinion on very little. EDIT: I also like how you conveniently ignored the stats about his assists and key passes ;).

Also, to categorize tackling and interceptions as something similar is laughable. Tackling a player in possession and reading the game to intercept a pass couldn't be any further apart. There's a huge difference between reactive defending and preventative defending.

The highlight reel was enough to answer the question you posed in your last post. I am basing my opinion on what I have seen with my own eyes in every match until Eric Black was appointed and the potential I see in each player. I don't like stats because they don't read between the lines.

In this context tackling and interceptions are similar because they are not all that relevant to whether Gana would be effective in a more attacking role. I am not expecting him to turn into David Silva but with the lack of options we have I think he has shown enough of the qualities necessary to be able to adapt into a slightly more attacking role.

9 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

The highlight reel was enough to answer the question you posed in your last post. I am basing my opinion on what I have seen with my own eyes in every match until Eric Black was appointed and the potential I see in each player. I don't like stats because they don't read between the lines.

In this context tackling and interceptions are similar because they are not all that relevant to whether Gana would be effective in a more attacking role. I am not expecting him to turn into David Silva but with the lack of options we have I think he has shown enough of the qualities necessary to be able to adapt into a slightly more attacking role.

Okay, with this in mind and seeing as this all stemmed from a team selection which every reply considered ridiculous to the point of satire I'll end with this:

Guzan is garbage and to call him our best goalkeeper is just not true.

A back four on Hutton, Clark, Okore and Amavi will just not happen for the majority of the season unless we don't sign another right back and Elphick gets injured for the whole season.

Your chosen midfield on Bacuna, Gana, Gil, Traore and Agbonlahor would get absolutely battered in the championship. (Especially as you see Gana as an attacking midfielder so I'm not sure where your defensive players are in there?)

Top it all off with Kozak as the main striker... I don't even know where to start. Your opinion on this is so far from what most would deem as accurate, I don't think I can carry on speaking to you about it. I'm not saying you're wrong for a fact, but we will have to agree to disagree.

EDIT: This discussion has made this thread crap for other readers, so apologies to all who had to read this drivel. To bring it back on-topic, I'm really hopeful about coming back up at the first attempt and I reckon we'll snag another couple of players to remove some of the trash from last season. Honestly haven't been this excited about a season since the MON days! :cheers:

Edited by JPAngel

Â