The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

Yeah. We won the League and the European Cup.

And he came from Birmingham City, quite the Villa fan. First owner to pay himself a salary. Penny-pinching egomaniac. If you had a free seat in the directors box, would you not be there every week.

We were weeks away from going into liquidation till he and others stepped in. without them stepping in who knows?

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

The best thing about Lerner going is we no longer have a song to the tune of 'Achey breaky heart'.

Its funny which songs seem to stick in most people's minds. Have heard this one a lot at England games too. 

23 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Its funny which songs seem to stick in most people's minds. Have heard this one a lot at England games too. 

Every single English speaking team seems to have a version of it now.  Just seemed to come out of nowhere.

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

No we weren't. He took the Champions of Europe into the second division in 4 years. Quite an achievement. While Chairman,refused to have a picture on display, of the greatest team our club ever had. Villa fan my arse. He was and is a Doug Ellis fan. Why are we even talking about the self obsessed clearing in the woods.

Taken from John Lerwills site,

I was one of the hundreds that demonstrated outside the Evening Mail offices demanding  the old board go in 1968, I am not defending everything DHE has done but without him and Pat Matthews we may have gone into liquidation

http://www.lerwill-life.org.uk/astonvilla/a_villa_history.htm

"In 1968 the club came very close to formal bankruptcy, but towards the end of the year, a consortium retrieved the situation and a certain Doug Ellis started his long executive career with the club"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Is the consensus we were going to be taken over anyway or do we have the irony of being relegated to thank for us having a glimmer of hope for the future now?

Relegation did the trick. I am convinced. Various reports say how Xia only came in for us late on, I am sure he would not have bothered if we were languishing in the prem. He likes things that make business sense. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, useless said:

We've got whoever thought of the the beach balls against Newcastle to thank.

Yes, fantastic atmosphere created that day, similar to the 3rd division years.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, terrytini said:

I know we are all just chatting, and I know full well the reasons why people would be unhappy about Ellis ( I suffered along with the rest !), but he's a very old man who will disappear of his own accord soon. I would actually find it quite unpleasant if the new guys gave him the boot.

He's still listed as President Emeritus on the OS

Now the takeover is done, anyone else going to miss the 'Randy Lerner out' song next season?  I thought singing it last season made for a great atmosphere at times. Very catchy.   Shall we just have a 'Tony Xia out' song just for the hell of it?  :D

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Now the takeover is done, anyone else going to miss the 'Randy Lerner out' song next season?  I thought singing it last season made for a great atmosphere at times. Very catchy.   Shall we just have a 'Tony Xia out' song just for the hell of it?  :D

Or just sing.....We got Lerner Out!  Randy Lerner Out.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

We should sing The Chinese Way by Level 42

• Like 2