The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

we haven't really learnt much from that press conference. Di Matteo said he was impressed with his plans. What are his plans? Stadium redevelopment?

12 minutes ago, Richard said:

Has all the board been formally announced yet?

I don't think so. That photo with Wyness, Samuelson and Banfill that's knocking about was from Big Tone's Weibo.

1 hour ago, KSV said:

we haven't really learnt much from that press conference. Di Matteo said he was impressed with his plans. What are his plans? Stadium redevelopment?

World Domination surely that's good enough for you 

4 hours ago, briny_ear said:
6 hours ago, dn1982 said:

World Domination surely that's good enough for you 

Strictly speaking, that's more of a goal, an aim, or (more realistically) even a dream, rather than an actual plan...

I think you are spot on. Reach for the stars and you may just make the moon. Last few years we have tried to reach for the clouds and failed to make the top of a bungalow.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Strictly speaking, that's more of a goal, an aim, or (more realistically) even a dream, rather than an actual plan...

Actually a plan can mean both a detailed proposal and the actual goal. I've assumed the latter. The plan is world domination how we plan to do it we'll find out in the coming months. He's actually set out the short term goals and that's targets not the football score variety. Overhaul the squad and get promoted are the immediate ones mentioned. 

Everton fans seem to think they're the next Man City, it's quite bizzare. Short term we just need to get promoted, beyond that we need to start winning trophies, and signing 'galecticos', if we're to be perceived on the same level as Barca and Real.

Edited by useless

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think the Madrid comparison in few years is abit far fetched. Dont think we can ever be as big as them. Lets try get to Evertons level to start with shall we...

Hmmm, ya think? ;) And there was me all wrapped up in it :lol: Really though, anyone who puts any actual weight into a Villa/Real Madrid comparison quote made by a new giddy owner probably needs more practice on the internet.  He's dreaming big.  That's all we really need to know.  Putting labels on just how big, at this point, are meaningless.

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Everton fans seem to think they're the next Man City, it's quite bizzare. Short term we just need to get promoted, beyond that we need to start winning trophies, and signing 'galecticos', if we're to be perceived on the same level as Barca and Real.

Their new (part) owner is richer than ours by most accounts.

By most accounts he's worth £1.9 Billion, plenty of owners in the top division worth more than him but if you look on their forums they're talking about signing Spurs best players to make a statement, signing Rooney back and so on. Sure it must be an exciting time for them, but I think they're going over the top. Although one of their 'ITK's is saying that additional investors are going to be joining Moshiri (possibly Usmanov) so who knows. As for Moshiri being richer than Xia I'm not sure about that, Xia has said that his wealth is 'rather more' than a Dollar Billinaire, doesn't seem like the type to lie, I think I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

52 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think the Madrid comparison in few years is abit far fetched. Dont think we can ever be as big as them.

I think if you add "in China" on the end of that then I think that is feasible.

When you think the population of China is almost twice the population of Europe there is plenty of scope for growth.  That said, I would be over the moon if we can claw our way back into the premier league and become competitive again - that would be bloody fantastic after what we have endured. Anything on top of that would be fairy tale stuff but I will never not knock Xia for his crazy ambition - it is refreshing to have an impossible dream and, whisper it quietly, I think he means it !!

Edited by Gary Thomas

Yeah, it would be unbelievable to be up in the top 5 clubs in the world and I can't even imagine what that would be like. But let's face it, if we could get back to the top 6 in the BPL, winning games and signing exciting players I'd be chuffed to bits.

Looking back on the three top 6 finishes under MON makes me realise how little I fully appreciated it.