So... Player of the Year??

Demitri_C

Losers

Aston Villa to ask fans to vote for their Player of the Year despite worst-ever Premier League campaign
22:30, 12 APR 2016
BY DARREN LEWIS
The Midlands giants are set to be relegated this weekend and with behind the scenes jobs losses looming there will be no end-of-season bash for the squad

Enter your e-mail for our football newsletter

Alex Livesey/GettyWho will Villa supporters decide was the best of a bad bunch?

Aston Villa are set to risk the wrath of fans by asking them to pick their Player of the Year for this season — despite looking likely to be relegated this weekend.

The doomed Villans' stars are already set to miss out an end-of-year bash for the second season running.

Mirror Sport understands a party this year has “never been on the agenda”, with the club set to plunge out of the top flight for the first time in the Premier League era.

Villa also flirted with the drop last season, but did hold an end-of-year online vote asking supporters to choose their standout player after they had saved themselves from the drop, finishing fourth-bottom.

This season - despite organised mass walkouts and furious in-stadium protests over the club’s shambolic campaign - they are set to once again ask fans to select their best performer over the last nine miserable months.
Villa are currently on a run of eight consecutive defeats, have won just three league matches all season, are onto their third manager of the campaign and have lost 23 out of their 33 league top-flight fixtures - their worst-ever record in the Premier League.

They will be relegated this weekend, with four matches of the season still to go, if Norwich get a positive result in their six-pointer against Sunderland.

On Monday, the club announced a “restructuring” which is likely to see some non-playing staff losing their jobs once relegation is confirmed.

In pictures — Bournemouth defeat pushes Villa to the brink of relegation:

Aston Villa supporters hold a banner 'No Fight No Pride No Effort No Hope' during the Barclays Premier League match between Aston Villa and A.F.C. Bournemouth at Villa Park on April 9, 2016 in Birmingham, England.
It comes as former Villa striker Dwight Yorke again stated his case to be their next manager.

David Moyes and Nigel Pearson are already interested, while Dutch legend and former Chelsea manager Ruud Gullit has also thrown his hat into the ring.

Yorke played for Villa from 1989-98 and put his name forward earlier this month after Remi Garde, who replaced the sacked Tim Sherwood in November, was himself ditched.

And now he has said: “I think I can bring my experience.

GettyDwight Yorke of Villa celebratesYorke was a Villa hero as a player — now he wants to manage them in the Championship
"I was a player for ten years at the club. I know the mentality of the fans, what they expect. I’m young, I’m motivated.

“I’ve played in all levels of football. I won the Championship as a player (with Sunderland in 2007) and I know what it needs to be champion.

“I know there are doubts about me, but I will know how to handle it. I’m 44, I work as a pundit, I watch many games and I know the team very well.”

Cannot believe the club are actually contemplating this as there has been absolutely no player that deserves this award. I think all fans should boycott voting this to show how unhappy we are with this bunch of losers. 

I would actually nominate someone from the u21s, that would be absolutely humilating for the first team

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Losers

Cannot believe the club are actually contemplating this as there has been absolutely no player that deserves this award. I think all fans should boycott voting this to show how unhappy we are with this bunch of losers. 

I would actually nominate someone from the u21s, that would be absolutely humilating for the first team

Tiago Illori gets my vote

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Gardner, or Baker. Good options and good idea about a player out on loan.

Yep brilliant idea. We need to vote for a player that hasn't played a single minute for us. 

• Like 1

Who has been best performer in under 21s? That person gets my vote. Im guessing Green? I agree fans should come together and vote for someone not in first team as a joke which is fitting of our first team