So... Player of the Year??

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

A producer called me about 30 minutes before and  asked if I would comment during programme about no players awards.Cant remember exactly what I said.

But iirc when interviewed said it was hardly surprising, assumed many clubs facing relegation wouldn't have an award but personally had mixed feelings as it was another broken record etc. However on balance there was nothing to celebrate so didn't see the point of any awards. Said fans feelings towards players especially Lescott, Agbonlahor, Richards etc had made atmosphere very toxic and maybe only Ayew or Gana had really tried all season. Mentioned that state of club was a tragedy and that it was disgusting that our owner Lerner was hiding away in the States. Was asked about future and couldn't really answer question other than not being very positive.

That was quick - my comments via 5 live on BBC site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36035921

Aston Villa cancel player of the year awards as relegation looms

Aston Villa have suffered a record-equalling 10 home losses this season. Aston Villa have cancelled this season's player of the year awards with the club facing relegation.

Villa are nine points adrift at the bottom of the Premier League having won just three games all campaign and could go down on Saturday.  "In the current circumstances, we are sure our supporters will understand," a club spokesman said.

There have been several fan protests against owner Randy Lerner, including during the recent home loss to Chelsea.

During the game, supporters held up banners that read: "Proud history, what future?"

Villa supporter Mike McKenna, who organised the recent fan walkout protests during home games against Everton, Chelsea and Tottenham (MMcK we only walked out v Everton) said: There is a toxic atmosphere at the club at the moment. The players are not generally well liked." Aston Villa fans have made their feelings known at recent matches  "Unfortunately, the complaints about the likes of [Micah] Richards, [Gabriel] Agbonlahor, etc have rubbed off on other players. "Maybe Jordan Ayew deserved an award but, with the toxic atmosphere, the club have thought it would only garner bad publicity to garnish the players with awards.

"Generally, I would think the supporters support the decision not to have awards as there is nothing to celebrate."

Can we rather vote for:''Stupidest timed Twitter post of the season''(Lescott)

or ''Stupidest timed party of the season''(Grealish)

or ''the biggest d*ck of the season''(Gabby)?

Would make more sense, wouldn't it?

Edited by Denis242
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

That was quick - my comments via 5 live on BBC site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36035921

Aston Villa cancel player of the year awards as relegation looms

Aston Villa have suffered a record-equalling 10 home losses this season. Aston Villa have cancelled this season's player of the year awards with the club facing relegation.

Villa are nine points adrift at the bottom of the Premier League having won just three games all campaign and could go down on Saturday.  "In the current circumstances, we are sure our supporters will understand," a club spokesman said.

There have been several fan protests against owner Randy Lerner, including during the recent home loss to Chelsea.

During the game, supporters held up banners that read: "Proud history, what future?"

Villa supporter Mike McKenna, who organised the recent fan walkout protests during home games against Everton, Chelsea and Tottenham (MMcK we only walked out v Everton) said: There is a toxic atmosphere at the club at the moment. The players are not generally well liked." Aston Villa fans have made their feelings known at recent matches  "Unfortunately, the complaints about the likes of [Micah] Richards, [Gabriel] Agbonlahor, etc have rubbed off on other players. "Maybe Jordan Ayew deserved an award but, with the toxic atmosphere, the club have thought it would only garner bad publicity to garnish the players with awards.

"Generally, I would think the supporters support the decision not to have awards as there is nothing to celebrate."

Oh yes that was quick

I Think we should do our very fans rocket polisher of the year award poll and the lucky winner gets to be tweeted and re-tweeted for his rocket polisher contribution from all the happy fans.

Edited by Kingman

POTY has to be Ayew, IMO. He carved out some beautiful goals mostly out of nothing. Dodgy attitude, but if we are talking about performance on the pitch, he's been our overall best player.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

POTY has to be Ayew, IMO. He carved out some beautiful goals mostly out of nothing. Dodgy attitude, but if we are talking about performance on the pitch, he's been our overall best player.

The very few times I've smiled watching villa this season are mostly down to him.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Hmm it's an odd one. At times Ayew has looked a good player, beating men, creating and scoring goals. But then there are times he looks lazy as hell and like he doesn't want to be on the pitch. Let's not forget the deliberate and stupid sending off against West Ham which could be argued ruined the slim chance of survival we had.

23 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Hmm it's an odd one. At times Ayew has looked a good player, beating men, creating and scoring goals. But then there are times he looks lazy as hell and like he doesn't want to be on the pitch. Let's not forget the deliberate and stupid sending off against West Ham which could be argued ruined the slim chance of survival we had.

Why is everyone assuming we'd have won that game if he'd stayed on, has nobody seen West Ham since xmas (although they were poor tonight).

It happens but I agree with the above, the only positive things on the pitch this season have been with Ayew at the heart of them so he wins the award for me even though it's pretty pointless. 

3 hours ago, a m ole said:

The very few times I've smiled watching villa this season are mostly down to him.

think the only smile I had all season was Gestede goal vs Bournemouth and Traore dribble vs Palace. the rest has been a look of horror 

12 hours ago, Denis242 said:

Gabby would take that award as a compliment.

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

think the only smile I had all season was Gestede goal vs Bournemouth and Traore dribble vs Palace. the rest has been a look of horror 

To be fair those moments and Grealish against Leicester were the others. The blues game feels like it took place in an alternate universe.

4 hours ago, a m ole said:

To be fair those moments and Grealish against Leicester were the others. The blues game feels like it took place in an alternate universe.

the 1st half was definite the same universe :P I imagine that will be the season review DVD just that game alone

31 minutes ago, Zatman said:

the 1st half was definite the same universe :P I imagine that will be the season review DVD just that game alone

The atmosphere made it for me, it was a shite game but it had been a long time since I'd felt that buzz at Villa Park. For 90 mins I forgot about the bleakness of our future under Sherwood/Fox et al and just enjoyed a match for once.

On 13/04/2016 at 18:08, Denis242 said:

If you gave that to Gabby, he'd genuinely believe you were complimenting the size of his pens.

• Like 1