Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Wait, so fans aren't allowed to not want certain managers now?

That's not what he said.  He said it's a gripe of his, that's all.  Plenty of them on here.

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Wait, so fans aren't allowed to not want certain managers now?

And just because some people see his time at Leicester differently (as indeed we all see managers tenures differently) doesn't mean they're just interpreting it a certain way so as to "validate" their dislike of him. I really don't like Mourinho personally for example but I can't dispute his achievements in football.

Thats not what I am saying.....I expect different views.

Its the fact that some fans think he should be considered for our job and opposing that view some fans feel it necessary to character assassinate him to get their point across.

Every passionate manager in football has had incidents that folk can pick up on if they so wish....If I had time and the inclination, i could probably list them ....so what.

We just want some one to put some pride back in to the club.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Thats not what I am saying.....I expect different views.

Its the fact that some fans think he should be considered for our job and opposing that view some fans feel it necessary to character assassinate him to get their point across.

Every passionate manager in football has had incidents that folk can pick up on if they so wish....If I had time and the inclination, i could probably list them ....so what.

We just want some one to put some pride back in to the club.

I'd be interested to know how many "passionate" managers have tried to strangle an opposing player on the touchline and have told fans to "**** off and die".

The fact that we want pride back in the club is precisely one of the many reasons why I don't want Pearson.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Wut?

It's that some kind of thinly veiled dig? What an odd thing to pick up on. 

sorry DDID I had to to lighten it up.:)

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I'd be interested to know how many "passionate" managers have tried to strangle an opposing player on the touchline and have told fans to "**** off and die".

The fact that we want pride back in the club is precisely one of the many reasons why I don't want Pearson.

Would you give him a chance if he was to be appointed?

Edited by GENTLEMAN

6 minutes ago, Mantis said:

You won't let go of those 2 little pearls will you?

• Did the opposing manager make anything of the incident or the player?
  • Did the fan sue Pearson or seek any retribution?

finally, your view.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

You won't let go of those 2 little pearls will you?

• Did the opposing manager make anything of the incident or the player?
  • Did the fan sue Pearson or seek any retribution?

finally, your view.

Doesn't mean it's acceptable behavior.

3 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Would you give him a chance if he was to be appointed?

Yes, I've already said this. I don't know why it's so hard for people to understand that you can be against an appointment but still give them a chance if they are appointed.

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Doesn't mean it's acceptable behavior.

Yes, I've already said this. I don't know why it's so hard for people to understand that you can be against an appointment but still give them a chance if they are appointed.

never is, its always regrettable.

However,  I don't think your stance or mine will have any bearing on the outcome.....but you can forgive "Gentleman" for asking

I think a lot of the Pearson wanting comes due to our current squad. There's a warranted perception that a majority of the players are just there to pick up a pay cheque. For the last few months, they seem to have had a bit of a free pass. Remi came across as a quiet, thoughtful man who probably wasn't the strictest in the dressing room. I'm not saying this was actually the case, I'm saying this is the perception.

To counter this, we see Pearson as probably the polar opposite. Loud, strict, enforcing and wears his heart on his sleeve. He wouldn't stand for this crop of lazy, useless players! But then we have to remember that with any luck, we'll have a largely new crop next season. A new captain, a new spine.

I've said it before, I wouldn't mind Pearson. I like the passion he shows, if sometimes not in the best way. He has experience in the league and in the transfer market.

He does, unfortunately just remind me a little bit of a Sherwood appointment. Here 6 months and gone in a blaze. I don't want that anymore, which is why Moyes is my preferred choice. He's the more experienced in the game, and experience at both this level, and the highest level. He like stability and knows how to work with little budget.

I wouldn't be disappointed with Moyes or Pearson, but I know which I think we need now. Pearson is probably the manager we should have had in 4 months ago. Moyes is the manager we should get in now.

• Like 1

Just now, YLN said:

Kicking asses though. He's not actually going to physically intimidate any of these players is he? He lays one finger on them and they'll have him sacked with no pay-off before they hit the floor. Not to mention the fact that they are, with the exception of Gabby, physically fit men in the prime of life who would more than likely be a match in any sort of fisticuffs, not that that would actually really happen.

So he's not going to physically intimidate, then what? He's going to be a hardline manager? And not stand for any guff? Do we think Remi was standing for guff? Yes a soft spoken French man, but when it comes to discipline, he didn't seem like he was putting up with any nonsense really. What leverage does someone like Pearson have over Gabby and Richards with their long contracts? Do laps of the pitch? 50 push ups for Gabby? "Nah gaffer I've pulled my hammy, going to hit the physio room. See you later." It's not as if he commands respect in the game, or has friends in the media. He is a figure of fun really in the eyes of the football public. I don't think Pearson, despite his big dog bark, has any more power over the players than Remi would have done. If anything they'll respect him less.

So I don't see his benefit in terms of him kicking asses, or being a prick. I think he has two choices. Tim Sherwood, or bomb squad. Timbo means he gives the players a bit of freedom to have a laugh and hopes that bears fruit, and bomb squad means he doesn't but banishes the funboys to the reserves indefinitely, and plays the reserves. Those choices are the same for any manager, arse kicker or prick or otherwise. 

So it comes down to whether or not he's a good manager, and not only that, whether he's a good manager for a team in our situation. I don't know, but I definitely think maybe. I think luck has a lot to do with whether or not a manager is successful at a club. The right personality of manager and the right players at the right time. I think he built something at Leicester because he got that luck, and the hope is that luck could shine on him again. 

Good post.  I never said I agreed with the assertion, just that it is what I felt people were going with.  I particularly agree with your final paragraph.

27 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Wut?

It's that some kind of thinly veiled dig? What an odd thing to pick up on. 

Given that the offence took place in the past, technically, I would say this is now a 'thinly veiled doug' and if avatars are anything to go by, that don't paint a pretty picture.

45 minutes ago, YLN said:

Kicking asses though. He's not actually going to physically intimidate any of these players is he? He lays one finger on them and they'll have him sacked with no pay-off before they hit the floor. Not to mention the fact that they are, with the exception of Gabby, physically fit men in the prime of life who would more than likely be a match in any sort of fisticuffs, not that that would actually really happen.

So he's not going to physically intimidate, then what? He's going to be a hardline manager? And not stand for any guff? Do we think Remi was standing for guff? Yes a soft spoken French man, but when it comes to discipline, he didn't seem like he was putting up with any nonsense really. What leverage does someone like Pearson have over Gabby and Richards with their long contracts? Do laps of the pitch? 50 push ups for Gabby? "Nah gaffer I've pulled my hammy, going to hit the physio room. See you later." It's not as if he commands respect in the game, or has friends in the media. He is a figure of fun really in the eyes of the football public. I don't think Pearson, despite his big dog bark, has any more power over the players than Remi would have done. If anything they'll respect him less.

So I don't see his benefit in terms of him kicking asses, or being a prick. I think he has two choices. Tim Sherwood, or bomb squad. Timbo means he gives the players a bit of freedom to have a laugh and hopes that bears fruit, and bomb squad means he doesn't but banishes the funboys to the reserves indefinitely, and plays the reserves. Those choices are the same for any manager, arse kicker or prick or otherwise. 

So it comes down to whether or not he's a good manager, and not only that, whether he's a good manager for a team in our situation. I don't know, but I definitely think maybe. I think luck has a lot to do with whether or not a manager is successful at a club. The right personality of manager and the right players at the right time. I think he built something at Leicester because he got that luck, and the hope is that luck could shine on him again. 

This whole thing about Pearson being a 'hard man' I think is just an act. Players don't respond to that way of management. Leicester got promoted with 102 points after Pearson had come in and re-modelled Sven's under-performing team and replaced the underachievers with his players. He wouldn't have got that response if his idea of a team talk was to threaten people.

Pearson is a very divisive man, but I think he is underestimated by people because of the persona he has. The Leicester fan on here recently had nothing but good things to say about him and said he rejuvenated the squad and is a key factor in why they are doing so well now., He said he was responsible for changing the whole culture of the club. Yet, there are instances of him acting like a tit and coming across as really strange. Do I care if our manager acts like a tit and we win the Championship in our first year down? Nope. Sorry, its all about promotion for me. 

For me, we are looking for someone with experience of bringing a team up from the Championship, ideally, remodelling the club after a period of stagnation and those qualities can be aimed at Pearson, so I definitely think he deserves serious consideration, As does McCarthy, Bruce and Dyche. I wouldn't be unhappy with any of them

• Like 3

Great post above by YLN.  It sums up why I'm most frustrated and that's with the players.  I don't buy that Remi was a soft touch at all, he dropped Grealish to barely be seen again, sent Gabby away, the fitness guy was famed for his strictness and the fact that he fell out with the players suggests that they were trying to install discipline on the training ground.  Ultimately when Remi wasn't backed in the window it seemed that the troublesome players saw it as a victory for them.  I just think it will be incredibly difficult for anyone to get anything particularly special out of this squad even in a lower division, and even less if their sole remit is to threaten them into performing.  They just couldn't give a flying floater.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard said:

I personally feel this debate over pearson will prove to be moot

Liked for use of the word 'moot' in true Larry David style.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1