Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

1 hour ago, DeadlyDirk said:

All Pearson is is the flavour of the month and represents what a lot of fans would like to do to our players at the moment and kick their a$$. Problem is, Pearson would be a short term solution to a long term problem and isn't want we need. We need someone who has experience getting out of the Championship, and providing a platform of sustainability for being back in the Premier League, with half decent football too boot. Someone who can instill a mentality at the club from top to bottom, or carry on and work with the foundations that were at least being attempted to be laid by the previous manager. I'd take Brendan Rodgers as replacement for Garde, but let's not forget the Garde rumours originally came from the Mirror of all papers.

You've basically just described Pearson with that wish list by the way.

55 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

There are countless managers who we could attract, even in the Championship, who have better records than Pearson. 

(although, for the record, past records are far from all we should be basing an appointment on.)

Totally understand your point and can see why appointing Pearson would piss a lot of people off. I guess I just won't be as fuming as some other people if Pearson is the man that we appoint. Can picture him now telling Lerner to "**** off and die" when he is only allowed to bring in Sol Campbell in the summer.

11 minutes ago, babyblue said:

It wasn't the same team. Did nobody listen to the pundits or reporters who constantly said we were always in games, mostly playing well week in week out. There was only a spell for about the second quarter of the season where we were crap, the rest I always felt like we were very close to being a good team. The introduction of Huth sorted out the defence and we stopped all the silly mistakes.

Pretty sure the answer to this question is no. Just like you probably don't follow Villa on a daily basis, most of us didn't follow Leicester that closely.

You rate Pearson while other Leicester fans don't, just like some Villa fans still rated Lambert to the very end while most of us didn't.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Ha!

Good one :)

Well, to be fair... I watched every game and they weren't far off. Barring the second quarter of the season, we were in every game. There are loads of comments from opposition managers who said they couldn't believe where we were because we'd played brilliantly. We had some utter shit luck as well, so many ludicrous decisions going against us week after week costing us points. Liverpool away sticks in my mind, two penno's against us when neither were.

The players always kept going, never got downhearted... that comes from the atmosphere at the club and the sort of people he brings in.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Up until the Liverpool game this year there were plenty of games that we were "in".

It means **** all if you end up losing them all.

As obvious as it sounds, performances mean nothing if you aren't putting points on the board. I'd rather us play desperate football and win every game 1-0. There's a graveyard for teams who were 'always in games'.

1 minute ago, sne said:

You rate Pearson while other Leicester fans don't, just like some Villa fans still rated Lambert to the very end while most of us didn't.

Those who don't rate him are few and far between, as I explained before there is a small but vocal group of bellends who never wanted him and could never admit they were wrong. They said he'd never get us out of league one, that he wasn't good enough to get us out of the championship, that he wasn't good enough to keep us up. they were wrong.

They slated him for getting rid of players perceived to be our better players (based on their name or what they cost, and certainly not what they had done for us). They said Beckford, Mills, Danns, Bamba should be the core of the team. Pearson booted the lot our as soon as he could, he bought in "nobodies" like Vardy, Drinkwater, Knockaert, Mahrez, Morgan, all perceived to be crap because of where they came from... they were wrong again. Where did all those players he got rid of end up? Arse end of the championship or league one.

I rate Pearson based on what he achieved here, nothing more. There views on Pearson have nothing to do with his job, it's personal hatred and not wanting to look stupid.

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Up until the Liverpool game this year there were plenty of games that we were "in".

It means **** all if you end up losing them all.

I disagree, it means a lot. It was obvious we weren't far away, It was frustrating, but it gave you hope. The owners could see enough to stick with him, rather than changing managers.

Look at my previous posts where I've talked about summer recruitment and how he was let down by the DOF. We had to sack him and get players in come January, as soon as that happened we were able to see games out.

Edited by babyblue

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

What part of the miracle finish to last season to stay up was sustainable. It was about a 1% chance that he managed to keep them up. If it was sustainable they would have been around midtable all season like WBA this season.

They stayed up in there first season back and had been playing well all season....and built on that this season, & have done incredibly well again.

Sustainable - yes definitely.

If ur picking holes in the job pearson did at leicester then I think you may find a lot of disappointment at whatever you look at

Out of interest baby blue why are you so keen on Pearson being the next villa manager ? Did you go and spout this on Newcastle, Sunderland, Swansea forums? 

You can't seem to accept that some fans do not want your supposed messiah. Do you Want Ranieri to leave so you can have your beloved Pearson back? 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

You've basically just described Pearson with that wish list by the way.

Thing is though, Person built a great sand castle, then didn't really know how to get it to work.... Until the end, which I don't think was sustainable... In the time when he struggled he came across as unhinged, a bit of a lunatic and not someone I'd like to see running Aston Villa. At Leicester, Ranieri came in, with his wealth of experience and knowledge and knew exactly what to do with the sandcastle. Brendan Rodgers has proved that he's got both sides of the equation, which is why in my opinion, he's the better choice.

52 minutes ago, babyblue said:

His record as a manager is good......he's got us out of league one, finished in the play offs first season back.....come back, got us in the play offs, then got us promoted and then kept us up

Genuine question.  I accept what you say about getting you promoted but as I mentioned above this time last year Leicester had played 29 games. You had LOST 18, drawn 7 and won 4 with a much better squad than ours (this year tells us).  I know Leicester went on a hot run at the end of last season, and he takes some credit for that, but 4 wins from 29 doesn't exactly inspire me, in fact, it is bloody awful isn't it?  If he's as good as you say shouldn't he have done better with that group of players?  It seems he might be a good short-term appointment to get out the championship, but I am of the view, unlike some here I suspect, that we should be looking to appoint a manager with a long-term view. His record at the higher level is not great IMO which makes me think he 'might not' be a good choice. 

Edited by Gary Thomas

Nigel Pearson could be the right appointment with us going down.

But I don't rate him or like him.

He's got about three months good form in his career as a manager. This is what we've become.

Just now, Tomaszk said:

He's got about three months good form in his career as a manager. This is what we've become.

To be fair Aston Villa don't have 3 months good form cumulative in the last 5 years.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Thing is though, Person built a great sand castle, then didn't really know how to get it to work.... Until the end, which I don't think was sustainable... In the time when he struggled he came across as unhinged, a bit of a lunatic and not someone I'd like to see running Aston Villa. At Leicester, Ranieri came in, with his wealth of experience and knowledge and knew exactly what to do with the sandcastle. Brendan Rodgers has proved that he's got both sides of the equation, which is why in my opinion, he's the better choice.

I've already explained that he was let down on recruitment last summer, he was well aware of what we needed and was again at the end of last season. Fuchs, Kante, Okazaki, Huth, all his signings and all integral to us this year. Is Ranieri trying to do his job with Gary Taylor Fletcher, Dean Hammond, Paul Konchesky, Liam Moore, Chris Wood. No, he's benefited from Pearson's successes and failures last year as we already knew who was and wasn't good enough.

It looks highly likely you aren't going to be in the premier league next season. You're in the championship, a league in which he did well for us. What team has Rodgers built and taken out of the championship, because the Swansea team was already set up and playing a certain way before he arrived. There was no re-building job needed there, he walked into something already working quite well. Has Pearson been sacked for taking over a club expected to be near the top of the league and having them in a relegation battle like Rodgers at Reading?

I think Rowett would be a far better choice, he looks like the outstanding manager at the moment in the lower leagues, considering what he's had to deal with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

The board at this present time need a yes man. Pearson is not this. Thats why I believe it will never be him. 

For me, get Moyes in as soon as possible.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

A manager who took us from league one to the premier league and kept us up, only has three months of good form? How exactly do you come to that conclusion.

• Like 1