Players - Attitude/culture

Woodytom

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Do we not need this though? Most of these players have let everyone down through their sheer lack of effort this season alone. Many of them are of no use to us going forward because they can not ever be trusted to deliver again. 

I'm torn on this Dr P. On the one hand, there are a lot of players who definitely need to go, who have demonstrated quite clearly that between a combination of lacking attitude and lacking ability that they have nothing to offer us going forward. But on the other, some of them will be here next year, simply because we can't turn over 25 players in a summer. 

If we take Westwood for example, seeing as he was the one I saw blubbing. Do I think he's good enough to be a PL midfielder? No, definitely not, at least not without much better players around him a la D*lph and Cleverley. Do I think he might be somewhat useful next season? Maybe. Are we going to get rid of him over the summer? Probably not, he's cheap, he's not old, his attitude doesn't obviously stink, he has a lot of first team appearances. So I suppose he's the sort of player we need to ultimately have a rapprochement with. 

I guess for me it's a case of 'scorched earth' with the bad eggs, offer of a reconciliation (conditional upon much better performances) for the others. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Do we not need this though? Most of these players have let everyone down through their sheer lack of effort this season alone. Many of them are of no use to us going forward because they can not ever be trusted to deliver again. 

90% of the squad yes, they are scum. 

But that remaining 10% (if they decided to stay that is) could (not will) perform better under a different more stable regime with better more positive players around them. Westwood, Cissokho, Hutton, Steer, Lyden, Baker, Clark, Veretout, Gestede etc... Could all be valuable assets in a different set up in the championship. Of course they could also be massive **** ups too but I'd be interested to see how they perform once the likes of gabby, Lescott, Richards, Guzan, Bacuna, Sinclair & Richardson have **** off away from the club.

• Like 1

of the current squad not including youngsters I would only keep Amavi, Gestede, Okore, Hutton and maybe Clark and Bunn as back up. The rest I would actually buy out their contracts

4 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Seriously, you can't see that crying over being relegated actually might mean he gives a ;)@)( ?  You reall can't see that?   Maybe your just not familiar with the phrase "points in my book" Is not the same as points in a league table?   

You would rathe concoct some unlikely possibility of him being bullied than face the much more likely possibility that would require you to have something other than disgust do any of them?   

Should I give him a hug? that poor sod

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think it's fair to say that if we're going to criticise players for crying when relegated that we need to admit there's literally nothing they can ever do right again. 

Which is fine, I guess, but seems a bit of a 'scorched earth' policy to me. 

It's happened before. When people don't like players they'll criticise absolutely everything they do, and twist everything into a negative.

Remember when Ron Vlaar got slated on here for giving an interview where he looked like he was almost in tears after a bad result? Apparently it showed he was "soft".

Fans want players to care. Then on the odd occasion we get evidence that some of our players do care, they get slated for caring.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

If he was crying, God bless him.

:crylaugh:

A bit OTT imo.

I literally have no opinion on whether they cried or not.

I don't cry at funerals. Doesn't mean i don't care. Nor does it mean that I care less than those crying. 

What I will say is that anyone of those players crying would not be anywhere near enough to convince me they cared after the shower of shit they've continually dished up this season.

Not about hating players. It's about recognising that they had 34 games to do something about it. All of them, including westwood chose not to. No I'm not singling westwood out and saying he could have dragged us to safety on his own. I'm just saying that he along with the rest could have give more. A hell of a lot more.

So I won't be sharing a god bless towards him or any of the others that have massively let us and themselves down this season.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Caught repeat of room 101 last night where Dame Kelly Holmes was a guest. She said something which struck a chord with me. 

When asked about if she liked cocktails (the subject being voted in which gets my vote after waiting 20 minutes at the bar for some bottle juggling idiot to make 2 drinks for a couple of ladies who I am sure are totally lovely despite appearance attitude and noise) she responds 

"Well of course when I was competing I didn't drink at all"

Now I expect Dame Kelly has done allright out of her incredible achievements but I bet it's still a fraction of what an average "professional"  footballer owns. And in the early years she probably didn't even know if she would be good enough to make it. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this is pretty much the norm in athletics. They would all be highly driven utterly dedicated motivated people who would know that drinking would affect their performance and avoid it even when not really earning anything. 

Before anyone throws in the drugs hand I am sure it is as prevelant and probably more so in football but for some reason the clubs and authorities don't seem so keen on rigid testing 

• Like 1

The difference between not drinking and drinking is astronomical.

Ask jockey Richard Hughes. 

I'd go as far as to say that if the villa players hadn't been drinking this season, we would not be down. Certainly not in the manner we are.

34 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Caught repeat of room 101 last night where Dame Kelly Holmes was a guest. She said something which struck a chord with me. 

When asked about if she liked cocktails (the subject being voted in which gets my vote after waiting 20 minutes at the bar for some bottle juggling idiot to make 2 drinks for a couple of ladies who I am sure are totally lovely despite appearance attitude and noise) she responds 

Now I expect Dame Kelly has done allright out of her incredible achievements but I bet it's still a fraction of what an average "professional"  footballer owns. And in the early years she probably didn't even know if she would be good enough to make it. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this is pretty much the norm in athletics. They would all be highly driven utterly dedicated motivated people who would know that drinking would affect their performance and avoid it even when not really earning anything. 

Before anyone throws in the drugs hand I am sure it is as prevelant and probably more so in football but for some reason the clubs and authorities don't seem so keen on rigid testing 

it absolutely is the norm in athletics, and pretty much essential if you want to compete at the top. The difference is they're individuals who live by their results and they're directly affected by what they choose to do. Team sports, it's far less obvious.

I wonder how much drinking Leicester have been doing. Dodgy Vardy picture aside, which could just be the way his face looks, I'm pretty sure they're clean. Ranieri has said as much that they're not allowed.

Edited by a m ole

I remember reading somewhere years ago that Gabby doesn't drink. Presumably that's BS?

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

it absolutely is the norm in athletics, and pretty much essential if you want to compete at the top. The difference is they're individuals who live by their results and they're directly affected by what they choose to do. Team sports, it's far less obvious.

I wonder how much drinking Leicester have been doing. Dodgy Vardy picture aside, which could just be the way his face looks, I'm pretty sure they're clean. Ranieri has said as much that they're not allowed.

Wait, what?

15 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I remember reading somewhere years ago that Gabby doesn't drink. Presumably that's BS?

Wait, what?

I've seen him out drinking with Young and someone else during the season during the MON years.

gabby3-742x417.jpg

Heres the Vardy snap people are laughing at on Twitter:

Stormzy-posing-with-Jamie-Vardy-at-the-P

"they drink baileys I drink Vossy"

Edited by a m ole

So frustrated at the moment. A lot of these players came out during the season saying they are hurting yada yada. Now that we got relegated.. how many of these players are willing to stick around to get us back? All ready to jump ship. Not one player besides Lescott has come out and said he wants to stay and get us back. Lescott because hes on big money and no one else would want him.

Disappointing and speaks volumes about the attitude of these players. We will lose Okore Amavi Gueye etc and be left with the dross players. This is a massive off season for whoever takes over the club and whatever manager is put in charge.

Now I wonder what release clause figgers are in contracts. We gave 8 million for Delph. I just hope we don't have minimal relegation clauses and we lose our only few assets on the cheap (Amavi Ayew Gueye)

Only positive is that our current youth team look really good and may get opportunities.

16 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I know Aguero doesn't drink at all during the season, or at least so it's claimed anyway. 

While I understand players drinking, I'd always rather they didn't. 

I always admire football players and athletes that don't drink or barely drink. They're getting payed obscene amounts of money and should do everything to keep their bodies in tip top shape. Of course it's easier said than done given their free time and money but then again it's a short term career in the end. But I wouldn't feel a bit sorry for them if they stay away from it while they have a career.

Gareth Bale, James Milner, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Harry Kane and Darren Fletcher are examples of football players that don't drink alcohol. All top professionals and probably smarter than the average football player as well. I think Cristiano Ronaldo hardly drinks as well. We need more of that at Villa given the stories we've heard in the past.

54 minutes ago, KSV said:

So frustrated at the moment. A lot of these players came out during the season saying they are hurting yada yada. Now that we got relegated.. how many of these players are willing to stick around to get us back? All ready to jump ship. Not one player besides Lescott has come out and said he wants to stay and get us back. Lescott because hes on big money and no one else would want him.

Disappointing and speaks volumes about the attitude of these players. We will lose Okore Amavi Gueye etc and be left with the dross players. This is a massive off season for whoever takes over the club and whatever manager is put in charge.

Now I wonder what release clause figgers are in contracts. We gave 8 million for Delph. I just hope we don't have minimal relegation clauses and we lose our only few assets on the cheap (Amavi Ayew Gueye)

Only positive is that our current youth team look really good and may get opportunities.

Hopefully very few, and if those few are words removed like Lescott then hopefully none.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bose said:

I always admire football players and athletes that don't drink or barely drink. They're getting payed obscene amounts of money and should do everything to keep their bodies in tip top shape. Of course it's easier said than done given their free time and money but then again it's a short term career in the end. But I wouldn't feel a bit sorry for them if they stay away from it while they have a career.

Gareth Bale, James Milner, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Harry Kane and Darren Fletcher are examples of football players that don't drink alcohol. All top professionals and probably smarter than the average football player as well. I think Cristiano Ronaldo hardly drinks as well. We need more of that at Villa given the stories we've heard in the past.

If a player drinks 10 pints a week and bangs in 30 goals a season nobody will care. The problem and its the reason its highlighted is that Villa are getting hammered every week its a big thing. I wouldnt imagine much difference between our lads and that many other players in the league for going out and stuff but the other teams dont seem to have a bunch of tossers playing for them

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

famously Bobby Robson as England manager showed the team a Hurling match and the players were amazed at the physicality shown in it and then he told the players they dont get paid at all for it and wanted similar efforts from the England team

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

famously Bobby Robson as England manager showed the team a Hurling match and the players were amazed at the physicality shown in it and then he told the players they dont get paid at all for it and wanted similar efforts from the England team

I am not paid to throw up either but after 15 pints I am at it with gusto also! 

Â