The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

16 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I’m not so sure that expectation is reasonable to be honest. The UK has been much better and more proactive about enacting the ‘citizens rights’ aspect of the withdrawal agreement than the majority of EU nations have.

A number of EU nations now have large anti immigration parties in their parliaments, including here in Sweden. As yet Brits in Sweden don’t know if they will be eligible for ‘settled’ or ‘presettled status’. Nothing has been set up as yet with no word on who will be eligible, yet the clock is ticking. 

Sweden is not the only one dragging its heels. 

I'd say that's a different thing. Sure some EU nations may be dragging their heels for any number of reasons but do they have a history of going back on their word once citizenship issues have been offered/granted to people?

The UK has been much better and more proactive about enacting the ‘citizens rights’ aspect of the withdrawal agreement than the majority of EU nations have.

That's only the case if you suppose that what they have enacted is going to be honoured long-term - which is my point. If they are talking about not honouring some parts (or more) of the Withdrawal Agreement which the PM 'negotiated' and celebrated less than 12 months ago then I think it's right to bring up the perfidious aspect of this.

I'm talking about whether the UK keeps to its word in honouring the status that it is supposedly giving to those eligible under the settlement scheme.

The people at the top of the leave campaign have already broken their word from the referendum campaign about rights for these people.

It may seem that the UK has been much more proactive but 41% of those who have applied have only received pre-settled status and 4,600 people were refused any status.

Home Office stats:

Settled Status Pre-settled status Refused Withdrawn or void Invalid
57%
(2,041,200)
41%
(1,475,500)
0.1%
(4,600)
1%
(36,500)
1%
(34,900)

In all seriousness, I expect this current government not to keep its word on these statuses. I expect EU nations to be less perfidious even if some of them may not be great because I expect this UK government to be the worst it can possibly be.

Edit: I appreciate the perspective you've given, though.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Even if it's true, how about don't **** sign something so monumentally important if you haven't had time to scrutinise it properly?!

They're either incompetent or sinister, and the general public don't care because they got Brexit done and Boris survived COVID or something

Some of the vocal right wing “friends” on Facebook seem to have positioned themselves as anti-Tory now following the handling of the pandemic. They were loving them for the get Brexit done stance but now dislike them enormously.

If the pubs close again the FLA will be marching in London. 

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

Some of the vocal right wing “friends” on Facebook seem to have positioned themselves as anti-Tory now following the handling of the pandemic. They were loving them for the get Brexit done stance but now dislike them enormously.

If the pubs close again the FLA will be marching in London. 

They're turning on them for all this migrant boat business as well.

As disgusting as the alternative parties on the right are it at least splits the vote a bit which isn't the worst thing in the world.

• Like 1

It feels very bizarre as an Englishman that would prefer to keep the UK in tact to want the leader of the SNP to be the PM. 

20 years in politics, a lot of it in prominent roles, and her Wikipedia page doesn't have a "controversies" section. Half the words removed in Westminster could learn a thing or two. 

• Like 1

The Internal Market Bill - A Perfect Constitutional Storm

The willingness of the UK’s Brexiteer-led Government to pick fights with the European Union is a given. So too, now, is its appetite for a show-down with the courts, as the recently launched review of administrative law attests. It is therefore perhaps no surprise that the Government, via the United Kingdom Internal Market Bill, has chosen to combine these two preoccupations by provoking an inevitable confrontation with the EU and a likely confrontation with the UK courts.

The Internal Market Bill thus sets the scene for a perfect constitutional storm: a confrontation with the EU, a stand-off with the courts, a fundamental attack on the rule of law, and a diminution of the UK’s commitment to the rules-based international order. Any suggestion that rule of law is not threatened by the Bill — whether because, as the Northern Ireland Secretary claimed, the breach of international law is ‘specific and limited’ or because international law is somehow different — is simply unsustainable. Respect for the rule of law includes respect for international law — as the UK Ministerial Code used to make explicitly clear and as is still, as the Court of Appeal has held, implicitly clear in the current iteration of the Code. The promotion by the UK Government of a Bill that expressly breaches the UK’s international obligations is thus nothing short of extraordinary. The Head of the Government Legal Department resigned yesterday. The Lord Chancellor, whose role as a constitutional guardian of the rule of law is recognised by statute, must surely now consider his position.

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It feels very bizarre as an Englishman that would prefer to keep the UK in tact to want the leader of the SNP to be the PM. 

20 years in politics, a lot of it in prominent roles, and her Wikipedia page doesn't have a "controversies" section. Half the words removed in Westminster could learn a thing or two. 

The one time I did one of those "which political party are you most aligned with" things, I came out as SNP.

I think Sturgeon is great.  Like a cross between Angela Merkel and Gordon Strachan.

• Haha 1

Â