The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

27 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Strangely, I've been talking to people who are there and they are all enjoying it. The news seems to be telling a different story, and most members know that Watson has been leaking things to destabilise for a long time. He got rid of Blair, Ed, and now Corbyn, he's a power hungry buffoon with a knife in one hand and flowers in the other.

I'm sure they're enjoying it in the same way that followers of the Peoples Temple enjoyed Jim Jones sermons. 

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

11.30 first thing? I've done half a days work by then (literally).

It goes back to the days when MPs weren't paid and did another job in the morning, then sit late into the night getting drunk, deciding how the country should be run... 

1 minute ago, cyrusr said:

It goes back to the days when MPs weren't paid and did another job in the morning, then sit late into the night getting drunk, deciding how the country should be run... 

The days? Like now, you mean? 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, snowychap said:

tbf , other than  small snippets posted on this forum ,  i don't read twitter...  so these aren't really commentators / experts / people whose opinions I'm likely to have read ..  my sample size kinda came through Flipboard and its consolidated newsfeeds  ... which i suppose  it could be argued is skewed to my own lowbrow reading habits

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

11.30 first thing? I've done half a days work by then (literally).

To be fair (and given what a shower most of them are, I can't believe I'm speaking in their defence), sitting in The House is just one element of their jobs.

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The days? Like now, you mean? 

Like 19th Century. Can't remember exactly when, but it was agreed that MPs should start getting paid so not just the rich and elite could be MPs... 

So yeah, like today ;) 

5 minutes ago, choffer said:

To be fair (and given what a shower most of them are, I can't believe I'm speaking in their defence), sitting in The House is just one element of their jobs.

I'm not denying that, but its hardly "first thing" for the vast majority of people in this country. It doesn't matter in the scheme of things because they are often in the house extremely late (in recent times anyway). Just something that slightly irked me.

17 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

tbf , other than  small snippets posted on this forum ,  i don't read twitter...  so these aren't really commentators / experts / people whose opinions I'm likely to have read ..  my sample size kinda came through Flipboard and its consolidated newsfeeds  ... which i suppose  it could be argued is skewed to my own lowbrow reading habits

Indeed, they may not be commentators/experts/people whose opinions you are likely to have read.

They are however opinions of experts/commentators that many people are likely to have read and thus would be likely to be covered by 'if you followed the case and commentators' (you only qualified them as the ones you'd read in your second post).

Edit: I guess the point I removed here was acknowledged and covered in your last self-deprecating comment. ;)

To be more generous than I was before the edit, may I recommend that you do get rid of some of the sniffiness about twitter. You don't have to get involved in a huge load of the crap on there (and you don't need to sign up for it) but there are a lot of valuable sources available both on it and via it (lots of links to blogs, &c.).

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Just for fun I decided to go back and take a look to 28th August (i.e. the day the government announced parliament was to be prorogued). I remembered the glee with which some people were willing to sacrifice parliamentary democracy because it validated the way they voted in a (non-legally-binding) referendum

Found this gem.

.image.png.12856965dde35b369fb2ee3b1269b9e2.png

No Piers...you suck it up

Edited by desensitized43

1 minute ago, desensitized43 said:

Just for fun I decided to go back and take a look to 28th August (i.e. the day the government announced parliament was to be prorogued). I remembered the glee with which some people were willing to sacrifice parliamentary democracy because it validated the way they voted in a (non-legally-binding) referendum

Found this gem.

.image.png.12856965dde35b369fb2ee3b1269b9e2.png

No Piers...you suck it up

Didn't Morgan (claim to) vote to remain?

3 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

And that's some evidence as to why a referendum was a bad idea... 

I would genuinely pay good money to hear that bloke explain more or less anything about the EU and how it works.

I assume he'd eventually just stop talking and stand there rapidly blinking and juddering.

Â